Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: What are you getting the missus this year?

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:
http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

http://bewareofthedoghouse.com/VideoPage.aspx

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What are you getting the missus this year?

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Is there trouble on my horizon? I watch her struggling with the clumsy,
dirty bags, so I bought her a Dyson vortex bag-less. Same idea that works so
well in the shop (Oneida). Is it such a horrible idea? The beige carpets
really do need cleaning more than the once a week she manages to get in.
What's so wrong with a gift that helps her do that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Much better link; thanks.

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message
Dave in Houston wrote:
http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

http://bewareofthedoghouse.com/VideoPage.aspx

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:

A nail gun.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man with one watch knows what time
it is--with two watches he is never sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:11:01 -0600, "MikeWhy"
wrote:

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message
.. .

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Is there trouble on my horizon? I watch her struggling with the clumsy,
dirty bags, so I bought her a Dyson vortex bag-less. Same idea that works so
well in the shop (Oneida). Is it such a horrible idea? The beige carpets
really do need cleaning more than the once a week she manages to get in.
What's so wrong with a gift that helps her do that?

for some reason I'm reminded of this ...

My cousin, knowing his step daughter had a desire to travel and see
the world, gave her luggage as a high school graduation gift.
Nothing says "get out of the house" quite like luggage !

Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:
http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

http://bewareofthedoghouse.com/VideoPage.aspx

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Ooooops - didn't realize they were the same thing as I was merely
responding to your msg

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

Don't know, but I'm sure she'll tell me as soon as she decides.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Dave in Houston wrote:
http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

http://bewareofthedoghouse.com/VideoPage.aspx

It's great to be married to an engineer. They're very practical. So practical,
in fact, that I have survived -- not once, but *twice* -- giving my wife a
vacuum cleaner.

For Christmas.

At her request.

Am I lucky, or what?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gary A in KC" wrote in message
Maybe my sarcasm meter is busted, but if not, you sir are going to the
doghouse. And it's not even close . . .

Yeah, I was just having a little fun. ;D We exchange small tokens on
holidays, nothing you might consider even a bauble. She just likes knowing
that I still remember.

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Is there trouble on my horizon? I watch her struggling with the clumsy,
dirty bags, so I bought her a Dyson vortex bag-less. Same idea that works

so
well in the shop (Oneida). Is it such a horrible idea? The beige carpets
really do need cleaning more than the once a week she manages to get in.
What's so wrong with a gift that helps her do that?

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Dec 10, 11:49 am, "Dave in Houston" wrote:
http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

Mine just said "A short cruise". Okay.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message
Dave in Houston

Mine just said "A short cruise". Okay.

Lucky you. A quick trip to MacDonalds sounds like a pretty inexpensive gift.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in news:77U%k.5867$8_3.5399
@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Brilliant!

This has been my plan for the holiday season for a number of years now:

http://tinyurl.com/5kvuwp

(leads to New Yorker cartoon)

Scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

I think it will be another Husqvarna sewing machine, for embroidery. The
good new about that is that she was looking at the $9000.00 machine and is
now looking at the $3800 machine that was recently in the Houston Quilt Show
and marked down about $1K.

Isn't a sewing machine sorta like a vacuum cleaner?

I use the Jet dust collector and the Festool Vacuum. She uses the Husqvarna
Quilt Designer. I use the Ricar vacuum cleaner and the Roomba. she uses
the Long Arm sewing machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 8:58*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Dave in Houston" wrote in om...

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

I think it will be another Husqvarna sewing machine, for embroidery. *The
good new about that is that she was looking at the $9000.00 machine and is
now looking at the $3800 machine that was recently in the Houston Quilt Show
and marked down about $1K.

Isn't a sewing machine sorta like a vacuum cleaner?

I use the Jet dust collector and the Festool Vacuum. *She uses the Husqvarna
Quilt Designer. *I use the Ricar vacuum cleaner and the Roomba. *she uses
the Long Arm sewing machine.

Every time I see the name Husqvarna, regardless of the product
discussed, I feel just a wee bit ****ty for ever selling my 250cc
Husqvarna dirt bike. Modern day dirt bikes are a whole lot better
suited for heavy motocross, but.... I worked a lot of menial part-time
jobs and chores to get the money together for that bike. It was a
dream come true....a victory of sorts.
My mother, who was never into baubles, was very happy to get a Nilfisk
vacuum for her birthday once. (Mind you, inside the birthday card was
also a reservation to my parents' favourite resort in the Swiss Alps.)

One thing I will always be grateful for and that was something my
maternal grandmother always said: "We're too poor to buy cheap stuff."
My grandfather always liked her saying that. He was a carpenter/
cabinet maker and had some really cool stuff. All Neander.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 11, 8:58 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Dave in Houston" wrote in
om...

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

I think it will be another Husqvarna sewing machine, for embroidery. The
good new about that is that she was looking at the $9000.00 machine and is
now looking at the $3800 machine that was recently in the Houston Quilt
Show
and marked down about $1K.

Isn't a sewing machine sorta like a vacuum cleaner?

I use the Jet dust collector and the Festool Vacuum. She uses the
Husqvarna
Quilt Designer. I use the Ricar vacuum cleaner and the Roomba. she uses
the Long Arm sewing machine.

Every time I see the name Husqvarna, regardless of the product
discussed, I feel just a wee bit ****ty for ever selling my 250cc
Husqvarna dirt bike.

That was my first association with the Husqvarna name also, back in the
early 70's. What, they make other things now????

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 9:27*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 8:58 am, "Leon" wrote:

"Dave in Houston" wrote in
om...

[...]

I only had a few sports heroes in my youth. Torsten Hallman, Stirling
Moss, and Mike Hailwood. All motorsports guys in one form or another.
I used to collect marque badges, the small pins with a motor company's
logo on it. My prized one was a Husqvarna pin. I put it on the lapel
of my cousin, also a motocross buff, the day of his funeral.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 11, 9:27 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I only had a few sports heroes in my youth. Torsten Hallman, Stirling
Moss, and Mike Hailwood. All motorsports guys in one form or another.
I used to collect marque badges, the small pins with a motor company's
logo on it. My prized one was a Husqvarna pin. I put it on the lapel
of my cousin, also a motocross buff, the day of his funeral.

Tazio Nuvalri, Juan Manuel Fangio.

DJM

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I only had a few sports heroes in my youth. Torsten Hallman, Stirling
Moss, and Mike Hailwood. All motorsports guys in one form or another.
I used to collect marque badges, the small pins with a motor company's
logo on it. My prized one was a Husqvarna pin. I put it on the lapel
of my cousin, also a motocross buff, the day of his funeral.

I recall only having one: Fred Parnell, from Baton Rouge, LA.

... guess what sport!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 10:25*am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

I only had a few sports heroes in my youth. Torsten Hallman, Stirling
Moss, and Mike Hailwood. All motorsports guys in one form or another.
I used to collect marque badges, the small pins with a motor company's
logo on it. My prized one was a Husqvarna pin. I put it on the lapel
of my cousin, also a motocross buff, the day of his funeral.

I recall only having one: Fred Parnell, from Baton Rouge, LA.

*... guess what sport! *

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

So far, a GIS gives me a duck caller, a hair dresser, a footy from
Leeds......................
..
..
..
to be continued.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:
http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

http://bewareofthedoghouse.com/VideoPage.aspx

It's great to be married to an engineer. They're very practical. So practical,
in fact, that I have survived -- not once, but *twice* -- giving my wife a
vacuum cleaner.

For Christmas.

At her request.

Am I lucky, or what?

Not as lucky as me. Year before last, the wife asked for a compound
miter saw. She got it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
Not as lucky as me. Year before last, the wife
asked for a compound miter saw. She got it.

Does she actually do anything with it? I've never been married, but my
imagination likes to conjure a rich gorgeous wife with a great personality
that is really into woodworking. I should be so lucky.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:49:31 -0600, "Dave in Houston" wrote:

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

Blue tooth headset.. was a request for Santa..

Also, I found an agate "egg" at our annual show a few weeks ago that she'll
love..
I was lucky enough to arrange a good trade for it.. A bowl that had been to a
few shows and not sold..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote:

Does she actually do anything with it? I've never been married, but
my
imagination likes to conjure a rich gorgeous wife with a great
personality
that is really into woodworking. I should be so lucky.

Remember the lonely hearts ad from years ago.

Looking for lady who likes to fish and has bass boat with motor.

Send picture of boat and motor.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

One thing I will always be grateful for and that was something my

maternal grandmother always said: "We're too poor to buy cheap stuff."

How true.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 10:55*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message

Not as lucky as me. *Year before last, the wife
asked for a compound miter saw. *She got it.

Does she actually do anything with it? I've never been married, but my
imagination likes to conjure a rich gorgeous wife with a great personality
that is really into woodworking. I should be so lucky.

She does (a bit) were remodeling our house, room by room and she wants
to learn woodworking. So every chance I get I let her do the
cutting. She is gorgeous and has a great personality. The only
problem is I have to work my butt off to afford her.
Posted to rec.woodworking

A spiritual yoga retreat of her choosing, at Kripalu or Omega, alone...

I include "round trip luxury transportation", a.k.a. I drive her there
and pick her up.

Everytime I do this, she says "Thank You" for months!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think a Husqvarna sewing machine to a quilter is like buying a
woodworker his dream cabinet saw. Convinced my wife to by a Viking
(Husqvarna) early in our marriage and she was very glad I did. It's 30
years old and still problem free.
Now if I could just get her to hem my pants.

Lenny
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:58:32 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message
.. .

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

I think it will be another Husqvarna sewing machine, for embroidery. The
good new about that is that she was looking at the $9000.00 machine and is
now looking at the $3800 machine that was recently in the Houston Quilt Show
and marked down about $1K.

Isn't a sewing machine sorta like a vacuum cleaner?

I use the Jet dust collector and the Festool Vacuum. She uses the Husqvarna
Quilt Designer. I use the Ricar vacuum cleaner and the Roomba. she uses
the Long Arm sewing machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote
I think a Husqvarna sewing machine to a quilter is like buying a
woodworker his dream cabinet saw. Convinced my wife to by a Viking
(Husqvarna) early in our marriage and she was very glad I did. It's 30
years old and still problem free.
Now if I could just get her to hem my pants.

I know the feeling.

My wife has cranked out hundreds of quilts. I ask her to sew up some little
thing for me and she gets upset!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I recall only having one: Fred Parnell, from Baton Rouge, LA.
... guess what sport!

So far, a GIS gives me a duck caller, a hair dresser, a footy from
Leeds......................

G Duck Calling!

Amazing how informed Google makes one, eh?

Anyone who has gained any proficiency in consistently _talking_ a
highballing flight of wild ducks or geese into a spread of decoys
will understand.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I think a Husqvarna sewing machine to a quilter is like buying a
woodworker his dream cabinet saw. Convinced my wife to by a Viking
(Husqvarna) early in our marriage and she was very glad I did. It's 30
years old and still problem free.
Now if I could just get her to hem my pants.

Lenny

No ****! Mine will not fix holes in my socks! Glad to hear that they hold
up that well. IIRC hers is almost 7 years old and has only 1 problem with a
reverse switch, $25 to repair and that was a shocker. Her machine however
sees "lots" of use and absolutely still looks new.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:17:11 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

wrote
I think a Husqvarna sewing machine to a quilter is like buying a
woodworker his dream cabinet saw. Convinced my wife to by a Viking
(Husqvarna) early in our marriage and she was very glad I did. It's 30
years old and still problem free.
Now if I could just get her to hem my pants.

I know the feeling.

My wife has cranked out hundreds of quilts. I ask her to sew up some little
thing for me and she gets upset!!

Me I have short sleeved heavy flannel shirts. Build a pile needing
alterations and wait.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

No ****! Mine will not fix holes in my socks!

Probably time for a new tool unless you already have a darning egg.G

Don't have a darning egg?

Time to fire up the lathe.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.p...tid=3130509001

Dave in Houston

I think it will be another Husqvarna sewing machine, for embroidery. The
good new about that is that she was looking at the $9000.00 machine and is
now looking at the $3800 machine that was recently in the Houston Quilt
Show and marked down about $1K.

Isn't a sewing machine sorta like a vacuum cleaner?

MONEY PIT ALERT MONEY PIT ALERT MONEY PIT ALERT
MONEY PIT ALERT MONEY PIT ALERT

Just be sure she gets most of her designs from the freebies on the internet.
It will save you a bundle

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote:

No ****! Mine will not fix holes in my socks!

Probably time for a new tool unless you already have a darning egg.G

Don't have a darning egg?

Time to fire up the lathe.

http://books.google.com/books?id=axf0LZBU-goC&pg=PA198&lpg=PA198&dq=sailor's+palm&source=web &ots=oz9niRnV1Y&sig=D_lIDU-pjORwIl-8ukxD7Tn7Exs&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct =result#PPA199,M1

Posted to rec.woodworking

My wife has cranked out hundreds of quilts. I ask her to sew up some
little thing for me and she gets upset!!

That is so true! What's up with that?

She says "I Quilt...I don't sew"

I built and armoire for the bathroom (towels storage above and his/her
hampers below). It took 2 years to have the fabric liners for the hampers
made.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

All alone, no kids, no shopping, no gifts. But I plan on getting
myself a WorkShop WS3000. I guess if I had a wife I'd get her
whatever she wants, within reason of course.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:17:11 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

wrote
I think a Husqvarna sewing machine to a quilter is like buying a
woodworker his dream cabinet saw. Convinced my wife to by a Viking
(Husqvarna) early in our marriage and she was very glad I did. It's 30
years old and still problem free.
Now if I could just get her to hem my pants.

I know the feeling.

My wife has cranked out hundreds of quilts. I ask her to sew up some little
thing for me and she gets upset!!

probably just not her "thing", Lee...

Sort of like all of the requests I get in the neighborhood for everything from
signs to fence repairs, because they know that turners work with wood.. lol