Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 261

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1477 Very Pistol... Flare Gun. Very is the inventor's name.

1477 A bunch of vacuum tube shields. In the age of pictureless TV (called
radio) there were primitive thingies that did what those trivial parts of
ICs called transistors now do. Each of the vacuum tubes was supposed to do
its own thing, and to isolate each of them from the others, it was not
uncommon to slip Faraday shield cans over them. The pile of parts in the
picture are for late model vacuum tubes ('50s).

"Rob H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 5:23*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

LET the games begin..

1477) It looks like a flare gun. Any other pictures to bring out more
salient features?

1478) A holder for a cymbal for a marching band. The cymbal holder
walks along beside the drummer trying not to look stupid while the
drummer occasionally hits the cymbal.

1479) These look a bit like the little plastic plugs that go in the
end of a ball point pen, but I guess that's not what they are. Shotgun
shell lining?

1480) A saddle rack, for storing your saddle and bridle on the barn
wall.

1481) This gets held by a string and swirled around in the air for
some reason. The dangly part at the back has something to do with the
reason.

1482) A display/storage case for something....the wooden pegs are too
fragile for rigorous use, so something lightweight and able to
retrieved delicately must have been used. Maybe to hold woolen mittens
connected with a thread, or something? I look forward to finding out
more.

OK. now to see how lucky my guesses were.

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1480 looks like an expendable temperature - depth probe. The ring is
fastened to a deck mounted box with electrical connections, the
"safety" clip is pulled and the probe is dropped overboard. The probe
falls at terminal velocity and measures the sea temperature as a
function of time = depth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1477 flare gun

1480 saddle/tack wall rack

1481 fishing downrigger weight. the little dingus at the rear is
a line release.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1477 flare gun
1479 Tube shields for vacuum tube auto radio
1484 Downrigger for deep water trolling

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1482: Display rack for merchandising V-Belts

Carla
I've been in more laps than a napkin.-- Mae West
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Rob H. wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1477: Looks too flimsy to be a real firearm. Not to mention the fat
short barrel. Maybe a flare gun, but if so, why any sight at all?

1478: Possibly for some sort of specialty security fastener.

1479: Maybe the spent ammo for 1477...

1480: I think it's upside down.

1481: Sounding line weight?

1482: Well, obviously, it's for home AND farm. It's a display rack
for some sort of merchandise, which would have hung on the hooks.
Maybe the numbers refer to different sizes.
--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1477. Marine flare pistol
1479. vacuum tube shields
1481. deep sea fishing dart (line weight)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1477) It looks like a flare gun. Any other pictures to bring out more
salient features?

I've only got two more pictures of it, and they don't really show much more
detail, although the second one below shows the maker and model number:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...0/pic1477d.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...0/pic1477e.jpg

This is just a guess, but it looks like the barrel of the gun pivots around
the pin just up and to the right from the trigger. To release the barrel,
pull back on the knurled part at the top left above the hammer, and then
insert a flare. I took the photos at an antique mall, but it's far from
where I live, otherwise I'd go and take another look at it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Here's my guesses:

1477 - Even after enlarging the picture, it still looks like a little
gun of unusually large bore. I'm guessing it's for firing distress
flares from a ship, since it lacks any sort of aiming aids.

1478 - Perhaps this is a scraper (or holder for a scraper blade), such
as for removing old paint from moldings. It does look vaguely familiar,
but I don't know under what circumstances....

1479 - Shields for vacuum tubes, used both to keep them securely in
place and to provide some RF isolation.

1480 - Equestrian saddle holder, to be bolted to a (sturdy) wall with
the hook part down.

1481 - Buck Rogers window sash weight

1482 - Display stand for...ummm..maybe flat belts such as were used
before Vee belts became popular on farm and home equipment?

Now to read other ideas...

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:

1477) It looks like a flare gun. Any other pictures to bring out more
salient features?

I've only got two more pictures of it, and they don't really show much
more detail, although the second one below shows the maker and model
number:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...0/pic1477d.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...0/pic1477e.jpg

This is just a guess, but it looks like the barrel of the gun pivots
around the pin just up and to the right from the trigger. To release
the barrel, pull back on the knurled part at the top left above the
hammer, and then insert a flare. I took the photos at an antique mall,
but it's far from where I live, otherwise I'd go and take another look
at it.

Rob

I wonder if the unusual trigger is to make it easier for a very cold man
to fire, such as in a lifeboat in the North Atlantic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 04:23:26 -0500, Rob H. wrote:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1479 are tube shields, but I've never seen one made of aluminum - the
ones I've seen were tin-plated steel.

If you have access to them, see if they're magnetic. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Carla Fong wrote:
1482: Display rack for merchandising V-Belts

Me, too. The numbers seem to be Gates numbers.

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/vbe...showPerPage=10

Built in a time when wood was cheaper than plastic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

E Z Peaces wrote:

Rob H. wrote:

[...]

Or with thick gloves.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Ban the bomb. Save the world for conventional warfare.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 04:23:26 -0500, Rob H. wrote:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1479 are tube shields, but I've never seen one made of aluminum - the
ones I've seen were tin-plated steel.

If you have access to them, see if they're magnetic. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

You're probably right, as I was just guessing on aluminum, I might see them
this weekend if they didn't get sold, I think they were asking $5 for the
full box.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
1482: Display rack for merchandising V-Belts

Carla

Good answer, this is correct, and the top of the display said Gates Belts,
as posted by zyyzzy43.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1478 is the handle of a cabinet scraper. The scraper blade has a
rectangular hole, fits between the large washers and is tightened down
with the wing nut.

Kevin Gallimore

Thanks! Just found it in one of my tool books, looks like you nailed this
one.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 04:23:26 -0500, Rob H. wrote:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1479 are tube shields, but I've never seen one made of aluminum - the
ones I've seen were tin-plated steel.

If you have access to them, see if they're magnetic. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

They are definitely tube shields/retainers for miniature 7 and 9 pin tubes
and are made of steel. They attach with a bayonet mounting at the bottom and
have springs in the top to press the tube down and pull the shield up. No
one mentioned the dark corrugated pieces which fit between the tube and the
shield in some cases to help conduct heat from the tube to the shield.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1477 Flare gun

1478 Looks to be a version of a jeweler's ring vise

1479 Vacuum tube covers, used for heat dissipation and noise shielding

1480 Shelf for a saddle (?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-12-04, Rob H. wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1477) Looks like a flare (Very (sp?)) pistol.

1478) Looks like a guide to cut a notch in a leather washer. Not
sure why, however.

1479) Shields for 7-pin and 9-pin miniature vacuum tubes.

They bayonet onto cylindrical projections from the tube socket,
or held to the chassis by the same rivets which mount the
sockets.

This is the only one this week which I am sure of the answer,
and 1477 I think that I am right about.

1480) Perhaps a butcher's rack for working on a carcass?

1481) A bit large, but otherwise it reminds me of the "lazy dog"
missiles dropped from bombers at altitude. They simply turned
into gravity-powered bullets on the way down.

The hook above it looks like an afterthought for display
purposes.

Not sure what function the eye and clip on the back serve.
Perhaps to pull the rip cord on a cargo parachute when it is
dropped?

1482) Seed display rack?

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 6:03*am, "Rob H." wrote:
1477) It looks like a flare gun. Any other pictures to bring out more
salient features?

I've only got two more pictures of it, and they don't really show much more
detail, although the second one below shows the maker and model number:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...0/pic1477d.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...0/pic1477e.jpg

This is just a guess, but it looks like the barrel of the gun pivots around
the pin just up and to the right from the trigger. *To release the barrel,
pull back on the knurled part at the top left above the hammer, and then
insert a flare. *I took the photos at an antique mall, but it's far from
where I live, otherwise I'd go and take another look at it.

Rob

Well, the serial number gave it away..

http://tinyurl.com/6l9nl7

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 4:39*pm, humunculus wrote:

Well, the serial number gave it away..

http://tinyurl.com/6l9nl7

Even better; halfway down this page
http://tinyurl.com/6m9abt

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message

Rob I dont see my post so I apologize if I clicked the wrong button and sent
it to your inbox.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

They've all been answered correctly this week, the answers along with some
updates from previous sets have been posted he

http://answers261r.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Dwayne" wrote in message

"Rob H." wrote in message

Rob I dont see my post so I apologize if I clicked the wrong button and
sent it to your inbox.

That's ok, I've done that a few times myself.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 3:53*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 04:23:26 -0500, Rob H. wrote:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1479 are tube shields, but I've never seen one made of aluminum - the
ones I've seen were tin-plated steel.

If you have access to them, see if they're magnetic. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

The aluminum ones had black anodized inserts for use as heat sinks.
Glass envelope got too hot, otherwise. Was found on lots of military
gear from the 1950's era.

Paul, KD7HB