Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What happend to Tom Plamann...?

Hi,
was just wondering what has happened to Tom Plamann and/or his web site?

He used to have a very inspiring web site looking like this:
http://web.archive.org/web/200603280...sys-tmpl/door/

But now...it's like this:
http://plamann.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

I only hope that Tom hasn't gotten sick and had to go to the dark side
for financial reasons.

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:32:23 -0500, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

Hello there,

He was abducted by aliens.

David.

"name" wrote in message
Hi,
was just wondering what has happened to Tom Plamann and/or his web site?

He used to have a very inspiring web site looking like this:
http://web.archive.org/web/200603280...sys-tmpl/door/

But now...it's like this:
http://plamann.com/

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello there,

He was abducted by aliens.

I think he really was!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello there,

He was abducted by aliens.

I think he really was!

I got curious to see what I could find, (...obsessive I guess. I don't
know the guy from Adam) ran his name through google and came up with an
active plaxo account that says it was updated as of Nov. 12 2008.

http://www.plaxo.com/directory/profi...74/Tom/Plamann

The picture on the plaxo page seems to match the pic on his old site.

The pages show he is owner of a company named XanGo, which a Google search
comes up with, http://www.xango.com/ . yep, I think he got abducted by
aliens!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote

The pages show he is owner of a company named XanGo, which a Google search
comes up with, http://www.xango.com/ . yep, I think he got abducted by
aliens!

I don't know that he owns the company, but I do know that we used to be
bombarded during Open House Sunday's by mangosteen saleswomen coming by to
ostensibly look at the house, but really trying to get you buy the stuff and
sell to others. IOW, it apparently relies on multi-level marketing, which
always seems to attract those disposed to religious fervor of one type or
another.

Apparently, and judging from Tom's obvious woodworking talent/artisanship
being at a similar level, even Michelangelo would have succumbed to buying
into something similar to feed his family had his patronage evaporated in
difficult times.

Can't say that I blame him ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in
:

The pages show he is owner of a company named XanGo, which a Google
search comes up with, http://www.xango.com/ . yep, I think he got
abducted by aliens!
Greg

Wouldn't that make him a Scientologist?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
another.

Apparently, and judging from Tom's obvious woodworking talent/artisanship
being at a similar level, even Michelangelo would have succumbed to buying
into something similar to feed his family had his patronage evaporated in
difficult times.

Can't say that I blame him ...

You are assuming he feel on hard times!? You know something the rest of us
don't?
I find it hard to believe Tom would fall on hard times with the abilities he
has. Something has obviously made a major change in his life with no
indication of what happened to his woodworking business. It seemed he was
going great a couple years ago with his new shop, now nothing. I find it
hard to believe he just gave up on woodworking.
It is all very strange.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
indication of what happened to his woodworking business. It seemed he was
going great a couple years ago with his new shop, now nothing. I find it
hard to believe he just gave up on woodworking.

Well, considering the size of his shop and the business he was getting only
a few short years ago, maybe he sold it all off and is living on a tropical
island somewhere. No electricity, no phones, just sand, surf and friendly
dolphins.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote

You are assuming he feel on hard times!? You know something the rest of us
don't?

Nope ... but these are "hard times", and there are numerous woodworking
enterprises biting the dust as we speak. Stairs appear to have been his
forte, and stairs go in houses, and ... so it wouldn't be all that
surprising.

I find it hard to believe Tom would fall on hard times with the abilities
he has. Something has obviously made a major change in his life with no
indication of what happened to his woodworking business. It seemed he was
going great a couple years ago with his new shop, now nothing. I find it
hard to believe he just gave up on woodworking.
It is all very strange.

While one would like to think that kind of talent could overcome just about
anything, I've known a number of world class musicians who just suddenly
chucked it up, to play nevermore ... it seems genius often requires most, a
challenge.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
I find it hard to believe Tom would fall on hard times with the abilities
he has. Something has obviously made a major change in his life with no
indication of what happened to his woodworking business. It seemed he was
going great a couple years ago with his new shop, now nothing. I find it
hard to believe he just gave up on woodworking.
It is all very strange.
Greg

One never knows. That new big shop may have been poorly timed and he had a
big note to pay as the economy declined. Or he paid cash and is still
enjoying the benefits. Or he fell to poor health. Or he joined a radical
religious sect. Or he sold everything for millions and is selling juice as
a hobby.

Agree on the strange, but if he's happy, I'm happy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Nope ... but these are "hard times", and there are numerous woodworking
enterprises biting the dust as we speak. Stairs appear to have been his
forte, and stairs go in houses, and ... so it wouldn't be all that
surprising.

Possibly, but I've heard it said more than once that there's always a market
for extremely high quality products and there's always people with the money
to pay for them. Saying that Tom just made stairs is not saying very much.
He made beautiful stairs, incomparable in so many ways.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"Swingman" wrote in message
Nope ... but these are "hard times", and there are numerous woodworking
enterprises biting the dust as we speak. Stairs appear to have been his
forte, and stairs go in houses, and ... so it wouldn't be all that
surprising.

Possibly, but I've heard it said more than once that there's always a
market
for extremely high quality products and there's always people with the
money
to pay for them.

I hope you're right ... but I'll let you know real soon if my house, an
"extremely high quality product" IMO, sells for what I think it's worth,
despite the times.

So was Mozart ... but even he had to play some ****ty gigs to pay the bills.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg O wrote:

You are assuming he feel on hard times!?

Personally, I think he's probably doing well. He probably simply
decided to devote his web space to something else. His previous web
site was basically a personal brag book. Maybe he no longer feels like
sharing that content?

The product he's selling on the web is a multi-level marketed product.
His previous web site was a show and tell, the new one sells the product.

While I'm not a big fan of MLM, some folks DO make a nice chunk of
change while selling that way. Maybe he found a way to easily pick up
extra cash. We have a local firefighter who sells some sort of health
drink. Over the past few years, he's built an enormous downline and the
cash literally prints itself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
Nope ... but these are "hard times", and there are numerous woodworking
enterprises biting the dust as we speak. Stairs appear to have been his
forte, and stairs go in houses, and ... so it wouldn't be all that
surprising.

Possibly, but I've heard it said more than once that there's always a
market for extremely high quality products and there's always people with
the money to pay for them. Saying that Tom just made stairs is not saying
very much. He made beautiful stairs, incomparable in so many ways.

Doors too. The examples he posted of his carved doors were nothing short
of awesome.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's what's happened to Tom (from the horse's mouth):

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...2ac1348b2dff5a

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello there,

He was abducted by aliens.

David.

"name" wrote in message
Hi,
was just wondering what has happened to Tom Plamann and/or his web site?

He used to have a very inspiring web site looking like this:
http://web.archive.org/web/200603280...sys-tmpl/door/

But now...it's like this:
http://plamann.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary A in KC wrote:
Oops - too late. He posted here for us!

Here's what's happened to Tom (from the horse's mouth):

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...2ac1348b2dff5a

Things are posted "here" before they're posted "there."

Google groups is just a xerox of this place.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

It finally happend to me Vince Heuring Woodworking 10 August 27th 07 04:26 PM
Plamann Web Site stoutman Woodworking 1 November 12th 05 10:53 PM
Tom Plamann Site? RonB Woodworking 1 November 8th 05 02:45 PM
Happy Birthday: Tom Plamann [email protected] Woodworking 12 May 7th 05 12:25 PM
Tom Plamann article - new shop Jason Weis Woodworking 14 October 1st 04 06:47 PM