Posted to rec.woodworking
sal sal is offline

Default Brad nailers:

Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/08 3:41 PMNov 30, "sal" wrote:

Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

You might consider a air powered brad nailer connected to a small CO2 tank.
In some ways, this is even more convenient than an electric nailer since it
needs no umbilical cord at all. The tank + regulator clips on to you belt
and away you go. I normally use a compressor in my shop but use a CO2
cartridge for small jobs where it is a pain to haul and set up the
compressor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:41:14 -0600, "sal" wrote:

Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Sal

Try a pneumatic nailer, then try an electric. I bet you'll change
your mind about the electric.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:41:14 -0600, "sal" wrote:

Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Sal

Try a pneumatic nailer, then try an electric. I bet you'll change
your mind about the electric.

It'd sure be nice if someone came up with an electric that actually worked.
The ones I've tried are no better than the better Arrow staplers. While I'm
wishing, a smaller version of the paslode cordless finish nailer would be
nice.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in message
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Sal

The electric are junk. Get a small compressor and air nailer. You'll be
glad you did once you find other uses for the compressor too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

IIRC, Home Depot has a compressed gas rig so you can get the rig,
a nail gun or stapler and use as needed, replace after a long time
and get the empty refilled. Most of the small nailer's - box and finish
use pressure and not much volume.

I got one of these so I do air on the house and yard barn. The shop has
a large compressor and I have a small haul around tank, but hauling hose up
on the roof or on a ladder it makes for an easier time.

And on small bird house projects, only a pancake job or small cylinder would
be better. Nice, the compressed gas is silent except for the hit of the
nail and some release pressure afterwards.

Martin

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"sal" wrote in message
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Sal

The electric are junk. Get a small compressor and air nailer. You'll be
glad you did once you find other uses for the compressor too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

I suggest you avoid them. Better to get a pneumatic brad nailer and an
inexpensive compressor.

I bought the electric brad nailer from Arrow and it only seemed to be
able to drive the head of a brad below the surface some of the time.
Part of the problem seemed to be that it really needs a LOT of
current to drive the brad. When used on a 15A circuit, I found I
could get slightly better results if I could insure there was nothing
else on the circuit drawing power at the same time. Ultimately
though, a cheap compressor and brad nailer from Harbor Freight will
work better than an electric.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Agree with those recommending that you go with an air gun instead of
electric. For out of shop work I take a Husky Air Scout. Available at the
BORG, it's a little jewel for pinners, brad and finish nail guns, compact,
inexpensive (less than $100) and *highly* mobile.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"sal" wrote
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an
electric type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Agree with those recommending that you go with an air gun instead of
electric. For out of shop work I take a Husky Air Scout. Available at the
BORG, it's a little jewel for pinners, brad and finish nail guns, compact,
inexpensive (less than $100) and *highly* mobile.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

How about something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...9DI&lpage=none

Apparently (looking online) the included brad/staple nailer only takes up to
1" brads??? A bigger capacity gun would be cheap enough. Is a compressor
like this big enough to run a (small) airbrush? I keep thinking about
getting a small setup like this but lack of understanding how it all works
(cfm, psi, etc.) keeps me screwing and tap tap tapping.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

My electric arrow is useless in hardwood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 9:25*am, henry wrote:
My electric arrow is useless in hardwood.

I have had an Arrow, and a Sears brand both given to me as gifts.

They would probably be nice tools if they were sold as cardboard
fastening systems.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

I do have got an arrow too. Got it cheap. Nails up to an inch. I believe
newer models go to 1 1/4. It's ok for Norm-style assembly "while the glue
dries" pinning in softwood and lining up MDF jigs 'n' stuff. Great for ear
piercings at bike rallies...

I realize its limitations.

I played with an Aldi air nailer - cost £10 - and it was well made, MUCH more
powerful and even comfortable to use. I didn't buy one, but next time they
come around I probably will.

My question for the panel is:

Is it feasible to use these things with low pressure airbrush compressors?

I have a really nice Simair, but it was bought to drive things like Connors
and Paasche turbos at a rock steady 10-30psi with clinical air quality. I
could probably crank a fair bit more out of it, but it is not its best thing.
I suspect that nailers would want to run at around 90psi upward but I would
be very interested in anyone's experience with running one at lower pressure.
Does it even work?
Does it work, but badly?

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:

I do have got an arrow too.

That is possibly the ugliest attempt at a sentence i have ever seen.
;-)
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:22:55 +0000, FrozenNorth wrote
(in article ):

Bored Borg wrote:

I do have got an arrow too.

That is possibly the ugliest attempt at a sentence i have ever seen.
;-)

Thank you.

I did worked on it long and hard so to have it maked.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:

I did worked on it long and hard so to have it maked.

Of you Yoda most proud would be.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Of you Yoda most proud would be.

Don't tell me, both you guys were tossed out of Latin class.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
sal sal is offline

Thanks for all the reviews, looks like air wins.

Sal

"sal" wrote in message
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 3:41*pm, "sal" wrote:
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does *anyone here recommend them?

Sal

Sal, Sal,Sal,

You need to share your intended use andbudget limitations to get a
fair response.

Few who have used any of the less expensive Electric Stapler/Nailers
would recommend them for general use in a wood shop or for nailing
through Oak or Masonite.

You just missed the "Special Sales" days but should be able to find an
"outfit" including a small compressor and at least one nailer for
under $70 and certainly under $100. Check the RETURN POLICY first.
Then buy it, try it and return it (if you choose) until you find what
your needs demand.

I recently bought two Hitachi's (albeit 15GA finishing nailers) on
closeout at Lowes for $44 each and returned the one I bought from HFT
and got my $85.00 back. Did Not like the HFT action - sticky) and love
the Hitachi's. I have all pneumatic nailers Porter Cable 18GA, Stanley
Stapler & Coil Nailer and another Hitachi Coil Nailer (full-head to 3"
nails).

I have a Stanley electric stapler, but wouldn't advise spending cash
for one if the wood is hard/dense and would keep to short staples and
be prepared to use a hammer to finish drive each one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:33:36 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote
(in article ):

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Of you Yoda most proud would be.

Don't tell me, both you guys were tossed out of Latin class.

Lew

Pudor, In ignominium ex facultam eiectamarunt, quisque iedi non futurus nos
erant quoniam pars atrum seductorant

fbzr qbt irefvba bs
Netuuu!! Jr jrer guebja bhg gur pynff va qvfubabhe jvgu ab ubcr bs orvat Wrqv
nf jr unq orra frqhprq ol gur qnex fvqr... ( qnzzvg V sbetbg zr cnffvir
cyhcresrpg fb vg'f tvoorevfu gnvjnarfr fgrerb znahny genafyngvba)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:09:36 +0000, Bored Borg
wrote:

[...]

....I run all my air tools at 100psi...do a lot of work in the field
and have a light-weight setup that works for me; Makair (Makita) hot
dog compressor, very light and gets 125 psi if I need it, a Hitachi
NR82 framer gun, a Max 15 gauge, and a Max 23 gauge pinner (there are
a bunch of Sencos and a Rigid or two in my shop). Primary concern for
anything less than the framing nailer is to set the brad/nail below
the surface of the work...it's real easy to make a mess trying to set
small fasteners with standard nail set! Especially in *hard*wood.

Best for you to get yourself one of those package deals you'll find at
Lowe's or HD...then you'll get a decent nailer of the 15 gauge variety
and a decent compressor to run it.

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking
sal sal is offline

Hi again, The nailer will be used for projects around home e.g.. small
ornamental plywood cutouts window and doorframe molding etc.
my budget will allow around 100.00$
thanks for all the info, people.

Sal

"sal" wrote in message
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric
type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...100&lpage=none

Apparently (looking online) the included brad/staple nailer only takes up
to 1" brads??? A bigger capacity gun would be cheap enough. Is a
compressor like this big enough to run a (small) airbrush? I keep
thinking about getting a small setup like this but lack of understanding
how it all works (cfm, psi, etc.) keeps me screwing and tap tap tapping.

You'll hate the noise. Airbrushes use very little air, a few cfm at not much
more than 15 psi, even for t-shirts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
How about something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...9DI&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...100&lpage=none

Apparently (looking online) the included brad/staple nailer only takes up
to 1" brads??? A bigger capacity gun would be cheap enough. Is a
compressor like this big enough to run a (small) airbrush? I keep
thinking about getting a small setup like this but lack of understanding
how it all works (cfm, psi, etc.) keeps me screwing and tap tap tapping.

You'll hate the noise. Airbrushes use very little air, a few cfm at not
much more than 15 psi, even for t-shirts.

I could use them to push my homebrew beer out of the kegs, too. LOL. I
just don't think I could run a brad nailer with them and that would be the
main use.

I've been planning to ask... do you (or anyone out there) know of a better
deal than this? Or, does anyone have a reason why this would be a bad idea
(or a better machine/kit for similar money (say under $100) which would be a
better buy (I.e. more psi)? The main use would be tacking things together
while glue sets... hobby stuff, not commercial and not every day.
Airbrushes, inflating stuff, etc. would be secondary (though as I think
about it, some small amount of light sandblasting would be nice). I'd hate
to buy a machine and have it be inadequate off the bat.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
How about something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...9DI&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...100&lpage=none

Apparently (looking online) the included brad/staple nailer only takes
up to 1" brads??? A bigger capacity gun would be cheap enough. Is a
compressor like this big enough to run a (small) airbrush? I keep
thinking about getting a small setup like this but lack of understanding
how it all works (cfm, psi, etc.) keeps me screwing and tap tap tapping.

You'll hate the noise. Airbrushes use very little air, a few cfm at not
much more than 15 psi, even for t-shirts.

I could use them to push my homebrew beer out of the kegs, too. LOL. I
just don't think I could run a brad nailer with them and that would be the
main use.

CO2? No problem with nailers. Tank pressure at room temperature is 800 psi.
Try and get that out of a compressor. I've been using CO2 in the shop for
more than 15 years now. The compressor stays in the garage for the few
occasions I want to air up a tire or spin a wrench. I'm considering nitrogen
next rather than filling the CO2 when it runs out. Nitrogen would be a
better fill for the tires, and then I can retire the compressor.

I've been planning to ask... do you (or anyone out there) know of a
better deal than this? Or, does anyone have a reason why this would be a
bad idea (or a better machine/kit for similar money (say under $100) which
would be a better buy (I.e. more psi)? The main use would be tacking
things together while glue sets... hobby stuff, not commercial and not
every day. Airbrushes, inflating stuff, etc. would be secondary (though
as I think about it, some small amount of light sandblasting would be
nice). I'd hate to buy a machine and have it be inadequate off the bat.

I don't want to push it too hard, but for everything except sandblasting and
air tools (high continuous cfm at relatively low pressure), CO2 works way
better than a compressor for me. It's all but silent, and there's no long,
heavy, clumsy hose to drag around. (Have you noticed that air hoses are
always a foot shorter than you need?) For home use, the 20 lb tank lasts a
couple of years. Come to think of it, it's coming up on 4 years or more on
this fill. (Did I mention that it's quiet? and easier to drag around than a
long hose?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
[...]

....no hose? You hook the 20 lb. tank direct to the gun? I'm guessing
you don't, LOL, but just for ****s and giggles; if I were to adopt
your system and work jobs (let's say, simple trimwork...an occasional
trip into 16d nailer...)...do you think? Where do you juice-up?

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 2, 9:43*am, Bored Borg
wrote:

fbzr qbt irefvba bs
Netuuu!! Jr jrer guebja bhg gur pynff va qvfubabhe jvgu ab ubcr bs orvat Wrqv
nf jr unq orra frqhprq ol gur qnex fvqr... ( qnzzvg V sbetbg zr cnffvir
cyhcresrpg fb vg'f tvoorevfu gnvjnarfr fgrerb znahny genafyngvba)

some dog version of

Arghhh!! We were thrown out the class in dishonour with no hope of
being Jedi

as we had been seduced by the dark side... ( dammit I forgot me
passive

pluperfect so it's gibberish taiwanese stereo manual translation)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
[...]

The welding shop is nice and close by. Borgs likely do refills now, too,
seeing as how Lowes is pushing the tanks and regulators. Paintball shops
have refill stations. Restaurant supply companies might also, seeing as they
use CO2 on soda fountains.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm.... I'll think that over. I have a 5lb bottle I push beer with.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 19:03:38 -0500, "Ed Edelenbos"
wrote:

.. .

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
[...]

....now that it'a on my mind, it won't get off 'til I check out the
logistics...it, the mode, is compelling...

cg

Nailers The Medway Handyman UK diy 26 April 4th 08 10:48 PM
Air nailers Max Woodworking 5 August 26th 07 05:03 PM
Combo stapler/brad nailers any good? Pat Coghlan Home Repair 3 September 15th 06 12:31 PM
FS: PC nailers Ba r r y Woodworking 2 December 26th 04 12:27 AM
Which One: Finish-Nailer, Brad-Nailers, Pinner? Jay Chan Woodworking 11 December 28th 03 04:12 AM