Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Maple shorts

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, my favorite family-owned wood shop closed up shop
recently - big shame. As a result, I am struggling to find a source
for some wood to produce this year's stack of cutting boards before
Christmas.

I am wondering if you anyone can give me a lead on some soft maple
shorts. I am looking for 4/4 clear pieces about 24" in length and at
least 2" wide. I would like to buy about 20 bf if possible and I
think that amount could be sent via UPS since it should be a hair
under 75#. Anyone have any great ideas which will save me from either
making a 200-mile (round trip) drive or going to the borg?

Thanks in advance!

Ben Shakman
Springfield, IL
http://shakman.smugmug.com/Woodworking

PS. For those old-timers around the 'wreck, I plan to get back into
the shop for real after I complete grad school this coming spring and
hope to find the time to follow this newsgroup again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 3:03*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
wrote:
I am wondering if you anyone can give me a lead on some soft maple
shorts. *
Ben Shakman
Springfield, IL

I would think Springfield, IL would have plenty of hardwood dealers.
Since you're needing shorts, ask about #1 common, as you can cut around
defects. *Also check for flooring mills, as they often sell shorts.

Either should be far cheaper than FAS wood.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, wood purveyors are in short supply around here these
days. The family-run places have gone out of business and the
national chains are not coming any closer than 90 miles away. A dozen
years ago I had plenty of local choices but times have changed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 4:20*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:

On Nov 30, 3:03=A0pm, B A R R Y wrote:
wrote:
I am wondering if you anyone can give me a lead on some soft maple
shorts. =A0
Ben Shakman
Springfield, IL

I would think Springfield, IL would have plenty of hardwood dealers.
Since you're needing shorts, ask about #1 common, as you can cut around
defects. =A0Also check for flooring mills, as they often sell shorts..

Either should be far cheaper than FAS wood.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, wood purveyors are in short supply around here these
days. *The family-run places have gone out of business and the
national chains are not coming any closer than 90 miles away. *A dozen
years ago I had plenty of local choices but times have changed.

Ed Carter Lumber and Bailey Hardwoods are out of business?- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure about Ed Carter, but Carter Bros. focuses on the
construction trade and Bailey insists they only sell finished products
these days. I managed to buy a few boards from them years ago, but
had no luck this time around. I'll try the Ed Carter route on
Monday...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello there,

I prefer Walnut shorts.

Hides the stains.

major snippage

Now THAT'S the answer I expected from one of y'all!
LOL
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

Soft Maple?

All the commercial makers (and me) make these boards traditionally
from "Hard", "Hard Rock" or "Sugar" Maple, all of these names for the
same thing, hard maple. Why soft? Not only is it softer which is not
good but also has lots more brown and mineral streaks.

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Culinary/culinary.htm

On Nov 30, 10:55*am, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

OP did not give his location. There is a mill in Port Angeles, WA
where I recently bought 150 BF of short curly maple for $50.

On Nov 30, 10:55*am, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ray" wrote in message
OP did not give his location. There is a mill in Port Angeles, WA
where I recently bought 150 BF of short curly maple for $50.

Actually, he did. Springfield, IL, IIRC.

todd

Hello shorts ;) John B Woodworking 1 July 12th 07 06:02 PM
maple story news,maple story gold,maple story money [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 27th 07 08:08 AM
maple story news,maple story gold,maple story money [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 27th 07 07:56 AM
hard maple vs soft maple - is one or the other preferred? [email protected] Woodworking 21 December 16th 04 10:09 AM