Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finally... a new (affordable!) tool I like

In article
,
" wrote:

On Nov 18, 9:45 am, "Swingman" wrote:

Ridgid, Ryobi, Milwaukee, what's the difference?

Not much. Warranty mostly.

The warranty on Rigid tools is usually 3 years.

The "Lifetime Service Agreement" requires you to register your tool
within 90 days.

"The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGIDŽ Hand Held Power Tools,
Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in
properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes,
chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your
qualifying RIDGIDŽBrand hand held and stationary power tools; and
replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic
tools for the lifetime of the original owner."

Note the "properly maintained".

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In article
,
" wrote:

On Nov 18, 9:45 am, "Swingman" wrote:

Ridgid, Ryobi, Milwaukee, what's the difference?

Not much. Warranty mostly.

The warranty on Rigid tools is usually 3 years.

The "Lifetime Service Agreement" requires you to register your tool
within 90 days.

"The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGIDŽ Hand Held Power Tools,
Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in
properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes,
chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your
qualifying RIDGIDŽBrand hand held and stationary power tools; and
replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic
tools for the lifetime of the original owner."

Note the "properly maintained".

In the past regular maintence was included in that life time warranty.

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 6:59*am, Mike Marlow wrote:

Yeah - but "properly maintained" does not mean anything threatening to most
owners. *Rigid does not have the reputation of escaping their warranty by
claiming the tool was not properly maintained.

Yeah, none of that scared me a bit. Not even the fact I had to
register within three months of buying the tool.

Besides, these guys aren't stupid. They have their actuarial tables
that will show them how few people register, how few actually keep the
paperwork needed for service, and any related costs involved.

One of my friends put serviced and together computer networks for
large companies here in town, and of course corresponded with his
peers across the US. With their network, someone came up with the
paperwork that showed a research paper of how many people actually
register warranties for different products. Across the board, it was
less than one third!

In that same report it was postulated that across that same spectrum
(in this case, mostly electronics) less than 10% of those registered
products actually applied for warranty work.

Most folks are too lazy, disorganized, or disinterested to fool with
warranties. I used to be pretty bad about it myself, but the ability
to register products online has made a real difference for me.

I bought a Weber BBQ pit not too long ago, and it had a bent vent on
it. I called Weber, and we both commented that I had not even
registered the pit yet. They weren't able to do anything without
paperwork.

I took my digital camera out, snapped a macro pic of my receipt, and
emailed it to the warranty person's address. She called me back, then
sent me the part all on the same day.

I'll give Ridgid the benefit of the doubt. These seem like nice
drills and I have been using them a lot the last few days. I like
them. I hope they last long enough that I do lose all the paperwork.

It is such a fist fight for customers these days with so many
different products I think the warranty game has changed. Either the
folks stand by their product 100%, or sadly, not at all.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Leon" wrote in message

"CW" wrote in message
m...
100 ft lbs of torque? That's more than my Harley. That would rip your

arm
off. 100 inch pounds is more likely.

100 ft lbs of torque on am impact is nothing to handle. Most tire stores
use 1/2" drive impacts that are capable of 175-150 ft lbs of torque. Your
Harley has a torque that is constant as opposed to that of an impact.

He was talking about a regular driver rather than an impact driver.
How ya doing, Leon? Been a while.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
m...

"Leon" wrote in message

"CW" wrote in message
m...
100 ft lbs of torque? That's more than my Harley. That would rip your

arm
off. 100 inch pounds is more likely.

100 ft lbs of torque on am impact is nothing to handle. Most tire stores
use 1/2" drive impacts that are capable of 175-150 ft lbs of torque.
Your
Harley has a torque that is constant as opposed to that of an impact.

He was talking about a regular driver rather than an impact driver.

I stand corrected. ;~)

How ya doing, Leon? Been a while.

Doing fine CW, I'v been kinda busy.