Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac.net

Does anyone know if shellac.net is really up and running? Reason I ask is
that a few years ago that site was inactive even though it looked like it
was open for business.

--
Frank Howell

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Howell" wrote in message
Does anyone know if shellac.net is really up and running? Reason I ask is
that a few years ago that site was inactive even though it looked like it
was open for business.

What's stopping you from going to www.shellac.net and seeing for yourself???
There's information, prices and contact information on a working website.

Or, are you asking if anyone has bought from them?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Frank Howell" wrote in message
Does anyone know if shellac.net is really up and running? Reason I
ask is that a few years ago that site was inactive even though it
looked like it was open for business.

What's stopping you from going to www.shellac.net and seeing for
yourself??? There's information, prices and contact information on a
working website.

I did that a few years ago and no response. The Web site looked then as
today.

Or, are you asking if anyone has bought from them?

Yes.

--
Frank Howell

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Howell wrote:

Does anyone know if shellac.net is really up and running? Reason I ask is
that a few years ago that site was inactive even though it looked like it
was open for business.

I bought from them back in June. After a problem (mine) with PayPal, all
went smoothly. No complaints.

Cheers,

Larry
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted to rec.woodworking

rev.5/17/08

I suspect it is up. Modified this year. Never did business with them.
Martin

Frank Howell wrote:
Does anyone know if shellac.net is really up and running? Reason I ask is
that a few years ago that site was inactive even though it looked like it
was open for business.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can see they are related to Wood Finishing Supply. WFS did go out of
business a while back. At least they closed their store in Fort Bragg
and disconnected the phone. I was heart broken. Great folks with lots
of knowledge and some great products. Looks like maybe they are still
running, just down the road in Santa Rosa or have a close association
with Shellac.net.

On Nov 4, 10:13*am, "Frank Howell" wrote:
Does anyone know if shellac.net is really up and running? Reason I ask is
that a few years ago that site was inactive even though it looked like it
was open for business.

--
Frank Howell

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 10:00*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I can see they are related to Wood Finishing Supply. WFS did go out of
business a while back. At least they closed their store in Fort Bragg
and disconnected the phone. I was heart broken. Great folks with lots
of knowledge and some great products.

Russ was not only a top flight guy, but a real finisher. I loved
talking to him as he was so knowledgeable. He knew all his products
and knew how to use them.

He left the business, and sold all his inventory. The last time I
talked with him, he had enough of small business.

Looks like maybe they are still
running, just down the road in Santa Rosa or have a close association
with Shellac.net.

Maybe in the name. But I doubt seriously if Russ is involved. He got
caught up in one too many pointless no win arguments on the net about
finishing techniques, and some took it upon themselves to trash him at
every opportunity on some of the larger forums. It killed his
internet business, which in turn killed his business altogether.

Our loss.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

I assume it was his wife who taught me a bunch about finishing just
standing at the counter or calling in and trying to make a purchase.
She would always ask why you were buying this or did you know how to
use it and she always had great input.

On Nov 4, 10:10*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:10:38 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

I think that shellac.net was started by Paddy O'Deen and was then
taken over by Russ. I don't know if O'Deen has gotten back into it.

I buy my stuff from Jeff Jewitt and have found him to be reliable and
knowledgeable.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 5, 7:17*pm, Tom Watson wrote:

I think that shellac.net was started by Paddy O'Deen and was then
taken over by Russ. *

IIRC, O'Deen started a site, then started and kept the shellac.net
site. It was his second attempt. Via email he told me he was kind of
tired of screwing with it, and it never really made him any money. He
worked out some kind of agreement with Liberon (well known for their
steel wool) as he had sources that no one else had. He moved to
another state and just didn't want to keep up with it anymore.
Apparently grandchildren were calling.

I don't know if O'Deen has gotten back into it.

Lord knows he was asked enough times. He used to pop in on some of
the finishing sites, but even that went away.

I know Russ had his own sources for bug spit (thanks, Paddy!) and when
service from the shellac.net site was spotty, many went to Russ.

Honestly, it bothered me that Russ left. He was so damn
knowledgeable. We had a long conversation on the phone when he had
his going out of business sale, and he just totally underestimated how
ugly the internet can be.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Woodfinishing Mavens,

A couple of corrections, clarifications, addendum, etc.

A long time ago in a hillside estate not too far away, I owned/
operated shellac.net and distributed literally tons of flakes across
the U.S., Canada and abroad (and yes, there was a time when a broad
worked at packing/shipping shellac, but that's a different story for a
different time). Russ Ramirez was the owner of
woodfinishingsupplies.com, back in those halcyon days of rec.norm and
operated a first class operation out of Rochester, MN. Russ and I had
our clashes on the net, but eventually became good friends and
colleagues in the business. Russ (I assume he's still out there
living/breathing) is a modest guy and his withdrawing both from small
business and this newsgroup was a loss.

Let's not confuse Russ with Ron Ashby (woodfinishsupply.com, of Fort
Bragg), the guy who purchased the shellac.net domain and my shellac
inventory back in the late spring of 2001. At the time, shellac.net
was grossing $5K/month on average, once spiking at nearly $7,000 in
one month. That's a lot of shellac. The terms of the sale to Mr.
Ashby were that he would purchase the inventory at wholesale cost, and
then pay a commission on sales generated by shellac.net. Well
according to his records, sales from shellac.net plummeted from a
robust $5k monthly, to about $400/month. Clearly shellac sales
through that site were the harbinger of the current economic crisis,
as the sales dropped more than 90%. Obviously the shellac.net name
carried no goodwill with it. Shame. The alternative is unthinkable,
that someone would deliberately under-report sales in order to weasel
out of paying commissions. No way; my brain won't even go there.

'Course, given that worthless site, it makes a feller wonder why
someone would re-open at the same address when sales were previously
so dismal? It's a puzzler.

No worries. I've been in contact with my original suppliers, and am
working on getting back to providing Paddylac (TM) to the teeming
masses... oh yeah, at prices that'll blow the current shellac.net out
the water. It's not personal, it's business.

Maybe we could have a site-naming contest right here, the winner to
get free shellac for life? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Stay tuned...
Paddyo

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paddyo wrote a fascinating story....

snip story

And suggested a new shellac.net naming contest, since he sold the rights for
the old domain. So here are my suggestions. I included spaces to make it
easier to read.

shellac dot net rises again
shellac source
shellac again
shellac squared
shellac r us
paddyo shellac
the good stuff
exquisite flakes
flake source
flakes r us
flake central
shellac flakes
paddyo flakes

Carry on folks, Add to the list.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hi Woodfinishing Mavens,

A couple of corrections, clarifications, addendum, etc.

snippage Paddyo

Paddy's Bug-Spit Emporium
O'Deen's Flaky Bug-spit

Tom Bunetta

Yet another use for shellac [email protected] Woodworking 2 March 12th 08 07:04 PM
OT - Shellac Phil Hansen Woodworking 6 February 20th 07 04:04 AM
Should I use Shellac? eclipsme Woodworking 17 July 23rd 06 09:21 PM
Shellac for Mac George Woodturning 1 January 22nd 06 04:40 PM
Oil over Shellac? Rich-in-WA Woodworking 1 December 18th 03 01:47 AM