Posted to rec.woodworking

Default bevels/microbevels on chisels

I've been collecting a set of Japanese-style bench chisels. According
to FWW review (Issue 200), I've been collecting some damn good
chisels.

My intended use is on hardwoods, for cleaning joints, removing waste
from dovetailes &tc. I have mortising chisels for the heavy work. And
I've spent quite a few hours flattening/polishing the backs and
bevels.

So far, I've been keeping the supplied 25 deg bevel angle on the
chisels with no micro-bevel. I'm considering using a micro-bevel.

I've built a jig to set micro-bevels at 26.5, 27.5, and 30 deg.

What di you guys/gals do on your bench chisels?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
I've been collecting a set of Japanese-style bench chisels. According
to FWW review (Issue 200), I've been collecting some damn good
chisels.

My intended use is on hardwoods, for cleaning joints, removing waste
from dovetailes &tc. I have mortising chisels for the heavy work. And
I've spent quite a few hours flattening/polishing the backs and
bevels.

So far, I've been keeping the supplied 25 deg bevel angle on the
chisels with no micro-bevel. I'm considering using a micro-bevel.

I've built a jig to set micro-bevels at 26.5, 27.5, and 30 deg.

What di you guys/gals do on your bench chisels?

I start off on the 1000x, then add a degree of microbevel for the 4000,
and another degree for the 8000.

You may experience some chipping at 25 degrees on a japanese chisel. If
so, you can increase the microbevel until the chipping goes away.

There are those that say to avoid microbevels on japanese chisels (not
sure why). There are also those that avoid microbevels on chisels
entirely on the grounds that it makes it harder to use them bevel-down.

Try it and see what you think...the worst that can happen is that you
have to grind it off.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
So far, I've been keeping the supplied 25 deg bevel angle on the
chisels with no micro-bevel. I'm considering using a micro-bevel.

I've built a jig to set micro-bevels at 26.5, 27.5, and 30 deg.

What do you guys/gals do on your bench chisels?

None of that. I don't worry about the bevel angle at all. Nor do
I really use jigs or fixtures. The only thing that comes close is the
angle I have set on the tool holder of my wet grinder. I couldn't tell
you what the actual angle is, I just went with what seems to look
right and works well.

Once I have an initial bevel set or I've reground a bevel on a
chisel after it's started to get a little too round, I just hone
free hand on stones and then strop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 11:25 pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
I've been collecting a set of Japanese-style bench chisels. According
to FWW review (Issue 200), I've been collecting some damn good
chisels.

My intended use is on hardwoods, for cleaning joints, removing waste
from dovetailes &tc. I have mortising chisels for the heavy work. And
I've spent quite a few hours flattening/polishing the backs and
bevels.

So far, I've been keeping the supplied 25 deg bevel angle on the
chisels with no micro-bevel. I'm considering using a micro-bevel.

I've built a jig to set micro-bevels at 26.5, 27.5, and 30 deg.

What di you guys/gals do on your bench chisels?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Microbevels make it easier to resharpen. Eventually, the microbevel
becomes the whole face of the chisel... It's not hard to do, and it
makes the tune-up sharpening shorter.. I would avoid a microbevel on
the mortising chisels....

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 8, 5:25*am, Zz Yzx wrote:
I've been collecting a set of Japanese-style bench chisels. *According
to FWW review (Issue 200), I've been collecting some damn good
chisels.

My intended use is on *hardwoods, for cleaning joints, removing waste
from dovetailes &tc. *I have mortising chisels for the heavy work. And
I've spent quite a few hours flattening/polishing *the backs and
bevels.

So far, I've been keeping the supplied 25 deg bevel angle on the
chisels with no micro-bevel. *I'm considering using a micro-bevel. *

I've built a jig to set micro-bevels at 26.5, 27.5, and 30 deg.

What di you guys/gals do on your bench chisels?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Hi, I am an old cabinetmaker living in Sweden.
Being an apprentice long time back, the old man taught me how to grind
a chisel.
I stuck to what I learned from the the old man during all my life but
never met
other colleges grinding in the same way.
Only today I heard of micro-bevel. Now I can speak of my way to grind
a chisel as
micro-bevel as "mikro.egg" in my language.
Written on a sunny autumn day,
Thanks and have a nice day, Klas

G. I. Mix & CO chisels Ben Woodworking 1 May 7th 07 02:58 PM
where to buy chisels william kossack Woodturning 14 May 31st 06 05:10 PM
Chisels George E. Cawthon Woodworking 20 January 30th 05 08:16 PM
Looking for better chisels... David F. Eisan Woodworking 20 November 23rd 04 05:19 PM
Chisels srazor Woodworking 0 September 2nd 04 08:58 AM