Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish for a floor of an enclosed trailer

I recently purchased an enclosed trailer with the typical plywood
floor.

What finish would you recommend for durability and low maintainance?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
I recently purchased an enclosed trailer with the typical plywood
floor.

What finish would you recommend for durability and low maintainance?

Thanks

I just finished cleaning out the inside of my boat with a power washer. I
had painted it (aluminum) with a good "porch and floor" enamel well over 10
years ago and other than a little discoloration where leaves had sat in the
rain water all Summer, there's been no peeling and very little sign of wear.
My neighbor down the street put vinyl tile down on the floor of the trailer
he uses to make and sell printed T-shirts at auto races. What do you intend
to use the trailer for?

Tom G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
I recently purchased an enclosed trailer with the typical plywood
floor.

What finish would you recommend for durability and low maintainance?

Thanks

3 or 4 years ago I painted the 3/4" thick plywood floor of our store room
with a 2 part Epoxy garage floor paint. It is doing very well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:41:34 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I recently purchased an enclosed trailer with the typical plywood
floor.

What finish would you recommend for durability and low maintainance?

Thanks

I'm with Tom, it depends on what you're going to use the trailer for..

For light duty stuff, I'd go with a good porch & floor paint..

For heavy or sharp edged stuff, especially if you're dragging things in & out,
I'd go with a sacrificial 1/4" plywood skin and change when needed..
Also depending on use, the skin could have a layer of sheet vinyl on it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I recently purchased an enclosed trailer with the typical plywood
floor.

What finish would you recommend for durability and low maintainance?

Leave it as is...if it's enclosed it's not in the weather and what's
less maintenance than "none"? What's the point of a finish for the
application, anyway?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 07:37:17 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

For heavy or sharp edged stuff, especially if you're dragging things in & out,
I'd go with a sacrificial 1/4" plywood skin and change when needed..
Also depending on use, the skin could have a layer of sheet vinyl on it..

You might beware of using a vinyl flooring.
My neighbor had an enclosed trailer and put vinyl on top of the
plywood floor. No problem until summer time and the temps were so hot
inside that the adhesive let go.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For heavy or sharp edged stuff, especially if you're dragging things in &
out,
I'd go with a sacrificial 1/4" plywood skin and change when needed..
Also depending on use, the skin could have a layer of sheet vinyl on it..

You might beware of using a vinyl flooring.
My neighbor had an enclosed trailer and put vinyl on top of the
plywood floor. No problem until summer time and the temps were so hot
inside that the adhesive let go.

Mike O.

Also might get a bit slippery if moisture condenses on it and then freezes.

Tom G.