Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Imagine If

Probably every newspaper has a daily (or weekly in smaller towns)
"Police Blotter" article

"Man arrested for being drunk & disorderly in public outside
Fred's Cocktail Lounge."

"Bicycle reported stolen from . . ."

"The Elementry School was vandalized - walls graffittied"

"Cars broken into in the Wareman Area"

But what if there was also a Good Samaritan article every
day?

"Elderly lady driven to doctor's appointment by one of her
neighbors."

"Two neighbors help one of their neighbors skin his addition
roof then come back to help shingle it."

"Friend takes neighbor's kids to and from school while the
neighbor's car was in the shop."

"Man helps police officer subdue drug suspect."

"Kids stop and visit sick classmate on the way home from
school."

"Teens pick up litter at neighborhood park."

Though "The Media" may seem to give the impression that
the world is going to hell - in a handbasket - there are
far more angels than assholes. And daily reminders
wouldn't hurt.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 08:03:30 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

[...]

Certainly a good idea. The vast majority of people are good souls.
and the media focuses on the sensational, the ratings driver, the
career building anecdotal regardless of statistical relevance

Unfortunately, the non anecdotal, that is, the statistically relevant
might indicate we're losing ground.

An example, I went through my whole school career in the fifties and
sixties, and never saw or saw the need for a policeman on campus. My
youngest son had an armed policeman patroling his public school campus
and they had a guard gate at the entrance. Small town America and a
well thought of and supported school system. Not a sign of progress
of the civilization in my view.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

This didn't make the newspaper or the 6PM News - but as I'm
recovering from back surgery (3 weeks down, 6+ monhs to go) so far
we've had a half dozen people bring food (good homemade Southern
stick-to-your-ribs meals), one who brought dinner from the local
steakhouse and stayed to eat with us, one has mowed and trimmed the
yard (that's 1/4 acre of grass), and another has offerred to mow if
needed.

The good people are out there, we just don't hear about them...

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote in
:

Probably every newspaper has a daily (or weekly in smaller towns)
"Police Blotter" article

*snip*

But what if there was also a Good Samaritan article every
day?

*snip*

Though "The Media" may seem to give the impression that
the world is going to hell - in a handbasket - there are
far more angels than assholes. And daily reminders
wouldn't hurt.

charlie b

Our local newspaper has a segment that does just that. It's usually one
story, two to three paragraphs long, that describes something someone
else did to help someone. The segment's called "Random acts of
kindness."

If someone wants something similar in their newspapers, write and ask for
it! Sometimes you get lucky and the editor thinks its a good idea right
away and starts the segment, other times you have to be persistent.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

Though "The Media" may seem to give the impression that
the world is going to hell - in a handbasket - there are
far more angels than assholes. And daily reminders
wouldn't hurt.

If you think about it, the media wants to report the bizarre and the
unusual. It'll be when they switch to reporting good/kind acts that
we'll have cause for concern.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

.... snip

But what if there was also a Good Samaritan article every
day?

.... snip

Though "The Media" may seem to give the impression that
the world is going to hell - in a handbasket - there are
far more angels than assholes. And daily reminders
wouldn't hurt.

charlie b

We've disagreed on a lot of things in the past, but on this, I absolutely
agree. This idea of "if it bleeds, it leads" and finding the worst things
as news stories is a continuing downward spiral. Stories that show things
being done and people being helped or how people can help -- those stories
build up a community and enrich our society.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote:

But what if there was also a Good Samaritan article every
day?

Not exactly a G/S article, but the following is a letter to the editor
I wrote to a small town newspaper back in Ohio after my mother died.

It was an attempt to provide info about local nursing homes to others
who may need it suddenly, but may not have had the time to prepare.

Yes, it was published.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
An open letter to the citizens of Wayne County.

After graduating from Wooster High School in 1955, I left to pursue my
fortune; however, my parents remained.

My father died many years ago, but my mother continued to make her
home in Wayne County until her death at 103, on 2008/06/28.

The last 17 months of her life were spent as a resident of either
Smithville-Western Care Center or the Wayne County Care Center.

Both of these facilities kept me updated on my mother's condition, at
least weekly, if not more often.

These days I make my home in Southern California, so that meant a lot
of long distance telephone time.

These organizations did a great job.

Many nursing homes have not, in the past, gotten high marks for the
service they provided.

There have been many "horror" stories told about the industry in the
past.

Such is not the case for Smithville-Western Care Center or the Wayne
County Care Center.

The people of Wayne County can be very proud to have both these
facilities located here.

Regards,

Lew Hodgett
Whittier, Ca

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I believe at one time in the late '60s, early '70s, several "good
news" publications were started. They all quickly folded, whther for
lack of reader support or content, I don't know.

Today, we have one local TV station looking for "hometown heroes,"
which gets an occasional run. One problem there seems to be the
classical idea of "hero" versus the modern idea. Classically, a hero
was somebody who went well above and beyond the call of duty,
friendship, love, whatever. Today, a hero is someone who helps an old
lady across the street, or does something similar that, in fact should
be a part of every day life done without conscious need for though--
civility, I guess. We call every military service member a hero,
which, as anyone who has ever served can tell you, simply isn't not
sensible.

Like you, I went through high school in the '50s, graduating in '57. I
attnded elemntary (grade) school just outside NYC, and a copy would
have been distinctly out of place, as he would have at New Rochelle
HS, and at my junior high. It would have stunned us to find a cop on
campus after we moved upstate a bit...and newly erected schools were
just then starting to be built to the "campus" approach in New York
and other areas. I spent a few years working and in the USMC, and then
went to college during the '60s. By that time, there were occasional
cops on campus, but only at special events.

Is civilization improving, or is it just more heavily policed? When I
read some of the responses and comments on blogs, especially
political, these days, I don't notice a lot of civility. I also spend
a good deal of time wondering just WTF they're teaching in schools,
because English and anything that demands linear thought isn't part of
the curriculum.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 14, 7:18*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
charlieb wrote:

... snip

But what if there was also a Good Samaritan article every
day?

... snip

Though "The Media" may seem to give the impression that
the world is going to hell - in a handbasket - there are
far more angels than assholes. *And daily reminders
wouldn't hurt.

charlie b

* We've disagreed on a lot of things in the past, but on this, I absolutely
agree. *This idea of "if it bleeds, it leads" and finding the worst things
as news stories is a continuing downward spiral. *Stories that show things
being done and people being helped or how people can help -- those stories
build up a community and enrich our society.

Big problem, though: no one reads them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Today's "Oh ****":

You've probably heard about the MetroLink train wreck in L.A. A
spokeswoman for the train folks came on TV and admitted that it was
their fault (the engineer was distracted and ran a red light). The
national news described that as "unprecedented" and "amazing" that they
would admit fault like that. I thought it was great that she would fess
up in front of God and man.

Today she "resigned" her position following "actions by the board".
****.
sigh,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 1:20*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Today's "Oh ****":

You've probably heard about the MetroLink train wreck in L.A. *A
spokeswoman for the train folks came on TV and admitted that it was
their fault (the engineer was distracted and ran a red light). *The
national news described that as "unprecedented" and "amazing" that they
would admit fault like that. *I thought it was great that she would fess
up in front of God and man.

Today she "resigned" her position following "actions by the board".
****.
* * * * sigh,
* * * * jo4hn

Pardon my French... but how idiotic is that? The say they have a text
message from the train driver dated one minute before the crash. The
idiot was texting as he blew through a red signal!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Is civilization improving, or is it just more heavily policed? When I
read some of the responses and comments on blogs, especially
political, these days, I don't notice a lot of civility. I also spend
a good deal of time wondering just WTF they're teaching in schools,
because English and anything that demands linear thought isn't part of
the curriculum.

I'm sure you're right in everything you've said, but I think it's always
been that way. I remember my father once telling me that *his* father had a
similar opinion about the younger generation and their "liberties" and how
the world was going to hell in a hand-basket.

Maybe it's going to end in absolute anarchy somewhere down the line, but it
might also end up as simply a new way to deal with everyday life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I read a rant once, complaining that "youth now-a-days" lacked any respect
or wisdom. The author beleived that, if the trend continued, civilization
was bound to fall. The rant sounded identical to complaints that I had
heard all my life.

Well, he was Pliny the Elder.

So maybe we're all worng. Maybe it only seems that way to older people.

On the other hand, Rome did fall ...

Rick Corey

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Is civilization improving, or is it just more heavily policed? When I
read some of the responses and comments on blogs, especially
political, these days, I don't notice a lot of civility. I also spend
a good deal of time wondering just WTF they're teaching in schools,
because English and anything that demands linear thought isn't part of
the curriculum.

I'm sure you're right in everything you've said, but I think it's always
been that way. I remember my father once telling me that *his* father had
similar opinion about the younger generation and their "liberties" and how
the world was going to hell in a hand-basket.

Maybe it's going to end in absolute anarchy somewhere down the line, but
it
might also end up as simply a new way to deal with everyday life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Corey" wrote

On the other hand, Rome did fall ...

Precisely!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:29:56 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Rick Corey" wrote

On the other hand, Rome did fall ...

Precisely!

....well, 400 years after Pliny the Elder checked-out.
Socrates was also known to not favor the "new" generation, 400 years
or so before Pliny...hey, they both missed some good stuff, eh?!

cg

Imagine my delight!! John UK diy 9 November 24th 06 09:20 PM
Imagine You've Neer Seen A Lathe charlie b Woodturning 3 July 23rd 06 12:43 PM
Imagine If charlie b Woodworking 0 February 16th 06 04:02 PM
OT hard to imagine anyone more stupid Gunner Metalworking 0 November 17th 05 02:50 PM
OT hard to imagine anyone more stupid rigger Metalworking 1 November 16th 05 06:32 PM