Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 249

Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal
traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1406 is a ramp of spme kind.

I assume that it is used to load a vehicle onto a trailer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Only one this week.

1406 - A large teeter-toter. Balancing platform for tractors, used at
old time tractor shows to demonstrate control.

Howard Garner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1405 Guess Specialized Johnson Bar (The rigger's lever tool, not the
locomotive control.) Push under the edge of something very heavy, then rock
on the ball to move it a bit at a time.

1406 Guess Two people have already said teeter-totter. I guess the purpose
is to drive a tractor on to it, align the traction wheels with the pivot,
and adjust counterweights to get the correct fraction of weight on the
traction wheels.

1410 Guess Another special-purpose rigger's tool. To pull something with
the sling close to some fixed structure that the ends clip to. The ratchet
at the end of the bar would work like that on a come-along.

"Rob H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal
traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in :

Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal
traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1408 is, I think, a firewood tote

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1407 is a tool for lubricating motorcycle clutch and throttle cables as
they were on European bikes through the '70s. An end of the cable
assembly goes in the big hole and the skinny tube/nozzle from a spray
can of cable lubricant goes in the small hole. The clamp is closed so
that the ferrule on the cable is sealed in the rubber. The lubricant is
more or less efficiently forced through the cable until it comes out the
other end. One end of the cable has to be disassembled from the motorcycle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , says...
"Rob H." wrote in :

Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal
traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1408 is, I think, a firewood tote

That's the only one I got too.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal
traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

What happened to set 248? The 'last week' link points to set 247.
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1405: Ye Olde Charley bar
1406: A ramp. Probably for getting something heavy onto a truck bed
1407: For a curtain rod, in an area where many trains pass through
1408: For working on an engine; place this where you have to lean over
something hot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1405 - I've seen a similar item that was used with old style cattle
stalls. The ball provided a locating pivot while the lip went under a
latch to release the collar.

1406 - Tractor show balance teeter. The contestant is timed from a
starting point until they balance the tractor on the teeter and stop the
tractor. That one looks like a mid sized one.

1407 - Looks like an lube clamp. Used on control cables to force lube
into the space between the cable and sheath.

1408 - Looks like something used to carry bundles of items, firewood,
sheaves of wheat or corn stalks.

1409 - Trap setter. Keeps your fingers and hands out of the way while
you arm and bait the trap. Also allows you to adjust the bait table if
it gets bent or twisted.

1410 - Old load binder?

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Barbara Bailey" wrote in message
.78...
"Rob H." wrote in :

Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal
traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1408 is, I think, a firewood tote

According to the owner, it's not for firewood but this guess is not far off.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Let's see...

1405 - Hold down for e.g. a tarp over a truck back?

1406 - Looks to be a flatbed trailer repurposed as some sort of a
balance platform. I'd guess it's used with some wheeled vehicle, maybe
a bicycle or motorcycle, by crazy competitors who enjoy risking life and
limb doing jumps and such like.

1407 - Possibly used for the end of a roll of film?

1408 - Stovewood carrying sling. In my opinion, more annoyance than its
worth, but some like them.

1409 - It's a wrench for everything you'd want to do on some specific
device...but you more or less said that already. The device it is used
for is a complete mystery to me, though; I assume it's not a table saw
or similar.

Now to see the other guesses...

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

zyyzzy43 wrote:
Rob H. wrote:
Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1407 is a tool for lubricating motorcycle clutch and throttle cables as
they were on European bikes through the '70s. An end of the cable
assembly goes in the big hole and the skinny tube/nozzle from a spray
can of cable lubricant goes in the small hole. The clamp is closed so
that the ferrule on the cable is sealed in the rubber. The lubricant is
more or less efficiently forced through the cable until it comes out the
other end. One end of the cable has to be disassembled from the motorcycle.

Here it is--cable lube tool by Motion Pro
http://www.motorcycletoolchest.com/M..._p/08-0182.htm
http://www.btosports.com/p/PC008182
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-09-11, Rob H. wrote:
Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal traps:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1405) Hmm ... this looks like a precursor to the "Johnson bar" -- a
prybar with wheels for lifting one edge or corner of something
really heavy like a milling machhine, and then sliding it in a
specific direction. A couple of these, and some pipes to put
under as rollers would be sufficient to move it.

Not sure whether the ball on the bottom rolls, or is just a
pivot point.

1406) Looks like a wheeled ramp for loading heavy objects onto
a flat-bed truck or trailer. It obviously has the wheels with
tires removed and shoved under the side for storage.

1407) What is the diameter of the hole? My guess is that it is
intended to go on the end of a rod to keep a sliding part from
sliding off. At a guess, the size of the hole is 3/8", but it
could be a similar metric size. But the threads on the knurled
head screw look like a 3/8" thread, not a similar metric.

1408) Possibly a log carrier? (Though I would expect canvas instead
of leather.

1410) O.K. I've looked at the secondary web site, and I never
would have guessed this one.

1411) Well ... it looks as though it could wind up ropes around the
horizontal rod -- which is rotated by the ratchet on the handle.

At a guess -- it could be for drawing a bundle of wood tight
prior to tying it with other ropes.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Here it is--cable lube tool by Motion Pro
http://www.motorcycletoolchest.com/M..._p/08-0182.htm
http://www.btosports.com/p/PC008182

Thanks for the links, I used one of them on the answer page; most of the
others have been answered correctly:

http://answers249.blogspot.com/

Rob