Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question about Teaching children WW

My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year. The
entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing the
alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and large
print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time on
writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in preparation
of marking or something like that?

Mike
Alameda, CA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Dembroge wrote:
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this
year. The entire first week was spent going over rules of the class
and writing the alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done
using
graph paper and large print. Does anyone know why the instructor is
spending so much time on writing? Is he/she trying to get them to
draw straight lines in preparation of marking or something like
that?

Is this being done freehand or with compass and t-square? If the
latter then it's practice in drafting.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike,

print. *Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time on
writing? *Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in preparation
of marking or something like that?

That's a great question, one that I think the teacher could
answer. I would think that he or she would love to have
some time with a parent who knows something about woodworking.
Call them or arrange to meet her/him.

MJM
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 7, 12:50 pm, "Mike Dembroge"
wrote:
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year. The
entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing the
alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and large
print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time on
writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in preparation
of marking or something like that?

If they were doing big bubble letters I'd guess they were going to
scroll saw letters, maybe their names.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year.
The entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing
the alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and
large print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time
on writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in
preparation of marking or something like that?

Mike
Alameda, CA

BECAUSE, the instructor is also teaching basic drafting. There is lots of
lettering practice for the beginner learning drafting. Good for him.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Dembroge wrote:
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year. The
entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing the
alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and large
print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time on
writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in preparation
of marking or something like that?

Mike
Alameda, CA

If the school system in California is similar to the current NY system
the instructor's lesson might be the first step in teaching the majority
of the middle school class how to read.
;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Dembroge wrote:
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year. The
entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing the
alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and large
print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time on
writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in preparation
of marking or something like that?

Mike
Alameda, CA

Several lifetimes ago when I first took WoodShop, the entire first
quarter was really a drafting class. Safety was mentioned at least one
day a week, even while in the drafting portion of the curriculum. Only
after we had completed all of the requisite drawings (including proper
block printing)were we able to choose the first of three required
projects (one was a wastebasket, solid bottom, ring top, with dowels
between, don't remember what the others were). Most of the class wasn't
even done with their first project by Christmas... A few of us that
didn't have any trouble with the concept of creating and reading
drawings were into our second or third project by then. The safety
issue was discussed a considerable number of times, and prior to going
into the actual shop we had to pass a written test on safety... I guess
it stuck, as I still have all my parts oh so many years later.
Especially for today's youth, it may seem to be an archaic and laborious
process to learn how to produce a drawing, but it really is an essential
part of successful woodworking.

--Rick
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year.
The entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing
the alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and
large print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time
on writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in
preparation of marking or something like that?

Mike
Alameda, CA

If they buy a measured drawing from Norm, they'll be prepared to translate
it to a full sized drawing. Woodworking means making and reading drawings
so I'd guess this is the preliminary.

I'm curious as to why the teacher won't answer you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

�Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time on
writing? �Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in preparation
of marking or something like that?

Mike
Alameda, CA

Mike

Take this opportunity to get on a first name basis with your daughters
teachers. It is time to do this.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year.
The entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing
the alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and
large print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time
on writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in
preparation of marking or something like that?

So, why in the world would you ask this question in this group instead of
simply going to the instructor and asking the question directly?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year.
The entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing
the alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and
large print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much
time on writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in
preparation of marking or something like that?

So, why in the world would you ask this question in this group instead of
simply going to the instructor and asking the question directly?

Open house at the school is not for a few weeks and I thought that there
might be some former instructors on this group that would know. It's not a
burning issue, I was just curious.

If this question seems inappropriate to you, just hit the little down-arrow
key and move on. Dang, I'm remembering now why it is I stopped visiting
this news group about 10 years ago...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Dembroge wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year.
The entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and
writing
the alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper
and
large print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much
time on writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in
preparation of marking or something like that?

So, why in the world would you ask this question in this group instead of
simply going to the instructor and asking the question directly?

Open house at the school is not for a few weeks and I thought that there
might be some former instructors on this group that would know. It's not
a burning issue, I was just curious.

One recommendation: If this concerns you, don't wait for an open-house,
try contacting the teacher directly. Good teachers don't mind questions
from students' parents.