DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   O/T: A Milestone (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/259002-o-t-milestone.html)

Lew Hodgett[_2_] August 29th 08 07:17 AM

O/T: A Milestone

Strictly a non wood working post.

The USA achieved a milestone tonight.

A mixed race black man was nominated by a major
political party to lead it in the fall election race and the
posibility exists that he could even win the election to become the
president of the USA.

I'm old enough to remember Little Rock, Montgomery, the loss of JFK,
MLK and RFK, all within the same decade, along with LBJ's signing of
the equal rights act.

There is still a long way to go, but as a country, we have come a long
way in less than 55 years.

May we continue the journey.

Lew

Phil again August 29th 08 01:22 PM

O/T: A Milestone

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:17:06 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Strictly a non wood working post.

The USA achieved a milestone tonight.

A mixed race black man was nominated by a major political party to lead
it in the fall election race and the posibility exists that he could
even win the election to become the president of the USA.

I'm old enough to remember Little Rock, Montgomery, the loss of JFK, MLK
and RFK, all within the same decade, along with LBJ's signing of the
equal rights act.

There is still a long way to go, but as a country, we have come a long
way in less than 55 years.

May we continue the journey.

Lew

Then you're old enough to remember that we are STILL in a cultural war
that has ragged since the 1960's. No matter how ridiculous, or pathetic,
even minor local (parochial?) issues become major battlefields for the
cultural war.

As the old guard warriors in this verbal war pass into retirement and
their grandchildren grow into adulthood and become voting age, the voice
calling for a truce can be heard; well, it could be heard if a few would
just stop shouting slogans. Just ask yourself how YOU perceive the
strongest supporters of Hillery, don't you equate them with the front
line cultural soldiers from the days of the ERA amendment to the
Constitution? Be honest now. Those ERA fighters could be called now
Liberal Ladies of Maturity and Experience in political causes. (You may
choose your own non-Politically Correct phrase in the privacy of your own
home.)

But I digress, IMHO, there can be no winner in the cultural war. We
keep battling the same issues over and over with no retreat. The battle
appears to become a war of 'Code Words' and everyone is just preaching to
the choir of their choice.

So, a sport stadium filled with people to hear an authentic partisan
political speech by the first person of ethnic background other than full
Northern European ancestry, as Lew pointed out, which is an historical
moment. An event that people can tell, and re-tell, I WAS THERE. Not
necessarily for the speech's content, but the context of giving the
speech.

My only hope for the futu come November, we can get over 75% of the
registered adults of the USA to actually VOTE. And then, God Willing, let
the Adults of this country agree to live with the results of the
election. That ain't going to happen, but I can still hope can't I?

B A R R Y August 29th 08 01:36 PM

O/T: A Milestone

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Strictly a non wood working post.

The USA achieved a milestone tonight.

A mixed race black man was nominated by a major
political party to lead it in the fall election race and the
posibility exists that he could even win the election to become the
president of the USA.

The real milestone will be when nobody points out that he's mixed race.

Doug Miller August 29th 08 01:40 PM

O/T: A Milestone

In article , B A R R Y wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Strictly a non wood working post.

The USA achieved a milestone tonight.

A mixed race black man was nominated by a major
political party to lead it in the fall election race and the
posibility exists that he could even win the election to become the
president of the USA.

The real milestone will be when nobody points out that he's mixed race.

Or cares. Or even notices.

dpb August 29th 08 03:06 PM

O/T: A Milestone

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , B A R R Y wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Strictly a non wood working post.

The USA achieved a milestone tonight.

A mixed race black man was nominated by a major
political party to lead it in the fall election race and the
posibility exists that he could even win the election to become the
president of the USA.

The real milestone will be when nobody points out that he's mixed race.

Or cares. Or even notices.

Including the candidate himself...

B A R R Y August 29th 08 03:35 PM

O/T: A Milestone

dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , B A R R Y
wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Strictly a non wood working post.

The USA achieved a milestone tonight.

A mixed race black man was nominated by a major
political party to lead it in the fall election race and the
posibility exists that he could even win the election to become the
president of the USA.
The real milestone will be when nobody points out that he's mixed race.

Or cares. Or even notices.

Including the candidate himself...

--

True!

charlieb August 29th 08 03:55 PM

O/T: A Milestone

Yet, within minutes, the Fear and Misinformation (read: distortions
and outright lies) Campaign began.

Yes, he's a great orator.
Hitler was also a great orator
Therefore ?

Britany Spears and Paris Hilton are celebrities
He's become a celebrity
Therefore?

He SAYS he's a Christian
But - he's REALLY a . . .

He's got a "secret BLACK agenda"
that was put together by . . .

He's Pro Abortion and for Gay Rights
for "god's" sake!

Only those who served in the Military
saw combat (even at 600 mph and from
half mile or more up) got shot down, and
spent years as a tortured POW can truly
call themselves a Patriot.

He wants to surrender The War On Terror
just when we're about to WIN!

He changes his mind to suit the political
winds (as opposed to changing his mind
based on new information and conditions,
or worse yet, refusing to acknowledge
ANY information that conflicts with something
you WANT to be true)

He's too young and inexperienced
(as opposed to too old and with a real
nasty temper)

Because he's been against drilling for oil
in Anwar and opposed NEW off shore oil
leasing (as opposed to drilling on the
leases that have been unused for decades)
he WANTS high gas prices.

:
:
:

The GOP (notice how "Republican" is being avoided?)
doesn't seem to be able to discuss or debate real
issues - so that leaves Attack Campaigns, which
typically don't require verifiable facts or have much
if anything to do with truth.

I truly hope that this will be the last desperate
throws of The Good Old Boys era. But I ain't
holdin' my breath.

charlie b

Limp Arbor August 29th 08 04:00 PM

O/T: A Milestone

On Aug 29, 10:55*am, charlieb wrote:
[...]

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Leon August 29th 08 04:05 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Probably a good choice to pick a H Clinton substitute.

Larry Blanchard August 29th 08 04:23 PM

O/T: A Milestone

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:05:16 -0500, Leon wrote:

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Probably a good choice to pick a H Clinton substitute.

But it's so obviously a ploy to get the disgruntled Hillary backers vote.
Just like Obama's choice was a ploy for working class votes.

Politics as usual.

Leon August 29th 08 04:41 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Probably a good choice to pick a H Clinton substitute.

But it's so obviously a ploy to get the disgruntled Hillary backers vote.
Just like Obama's choice was a ploy for working class votes.

Politics as usual.

Many years ago it became all about the candidate getting elected, never mind
what he promised or suggested what he might do for the nation after he gets
in.

Doug Miller August 29th 08 05:02 PM

O/T: A Milestone

In article , "Leon" wrote:

Many years ago it became all about the candidate getting elected, never mind
what he promised or suggested what he might do for the nation after he gets
in.

Or might do *to* the nation...

mac davis[_5_] August 29th 08 05:08 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Probably a good choice to pick a H Clinton substitute.

But it's so obviously a ploy to get the disgruntled Hillary backers vote.
Just like Obama's choice was a ploy for working class votes.

Politics as usual.

Yup.... Just when was it that politics became a career choice, not something
you did for maybe 8 years and them went back to your real job?

This will be the first time in 40 years that I'm not voting...
I'm tired of voting for the candidate that I fear the least, and not having
someone that I WANT to have in the office..

It's also the first year that I've ever kept my big mouth shut about
who/why/when etc... Because as I've told my non-voting friends for years, "If
you don't vote, you have no right to bitch"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

EXT August 29th 08 05:55 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Probably a good choice to pick a H Clinton substitute.

But it's so obviously a ploy to get the disgruntled Hillary backers vote.
Just like Obama's choice was a ploy for working class votes.

Politics as usual.

Yup.... Just when was it that politics became a career choice, not
something
you did for maybe 8 years and them went back to your real job?

This will be the first time in 40 years that I'm not voting...
I'm tired of voting for the candidate that I fear the least, and not
having
someone that I WANT to have in the office..

It's also the first year that I've ever kept my big mouth shut about
who/why/when etc... Because as I've told my non-voting friends for years,
"If
you don't vote, you have no right to bitch"..

That is not true. If you feel that there is nobody qualified for the job,
you don't want to be responsible for putting a politician into power who can
do harm just so you can have a vote. You are then still able to bitch about
the lame duck whom others put into power.

Curran Copeland August 29th 08 05:59 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"l job?

This will be the first time in 40 years that I'm not voting...
I'm tired of voting for the candidate that I fear the least, and not
having
someone that I WANT to have in the office..

It's also the first year that I've ever kept my big mouth shut about
who/why/when etc... Because as I've told my non-voting friends for years,
"If
you don't vote, you have no right to bitch"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Go vote for a third party candiate, You put in a protest vote, You have the
right to bitch, You don't help either of the party candiates, You have your
say. What could be better this year?

jo4hn August 29th 08 05:59 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Probably a good choice to pick a H Clinton substitute.

But it's so obviously a ploy to get the disgruntled Hillary backers vote.
Just like Obama's choice was a ploy for working class votes.

Politics as usual.

Yup.... Just when was it that politics became a career choice, not something
you did for maybe 8 years and them went back to your real job?

This will be the first time in 40 years that I'm not voting...
I'm tired of voting for the candidate that I fear the least, and not having
someone that I WANT to have in the office..

It's also the first year that I've ever kept my big mouth shut about
who/why/when etc... Because as I've told my non-voting friends for years, "If
you don't vote, you have no right to bitch"..

mac

Whenever an absolute monarch becomes less than absolute, you get career
politicians.

mahalo,
jo4hn

Limp Arbor August 29th 08 06:35 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Probably a good choice to pick a H Clinton substitute.

But it's so obviously a ploy to get the disgruntled Hillary backers vote..
Just like Obama's choice was a ploy for working class votes.

Politics as usual.

Yup.... *Just when was it that politics became a career choice, not something
you did for maybe 8 years and them went back to your real job?

This will be the first time in 40 years that I'm not voting...
I'm tired of voting for the candidate that I fear the least, and not having
someone that I WANT to have in the office..

It's also the first year that I've ever kept my big mouth shut about
who/why/when etc... Because as I've told my non-voting friends for years, "If
you don't vote, you have no right to bitch"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Last Govenator race here in NJ I did a write-in. You should still
vote even if it is not for one of the 'two' choices.

Just Wondering August 29th 08 09:35 PM

O/T: A Milestone

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Strictly a non wood working post.

The USA achieved a milestone tonight.

A mixed race black man was nominated by a major
political party to lead it in the fall election race and the
posibility exists that he could even win the election to become the
president of the USA.

I'm old enough to remember Little Rock, Montgomery, the loss of JFK,
MLK and RFK, all within the same decade, along with LBJ's signing of
the equal rights act.

There is still a long way to go, but as a country, we have come a long
way in less than 55 years.

May we continue the journey.

Lew

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the office.
It may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice to the
country to nominate an unqualified candidate.

Just Wondering August 29th 08 09:40 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

It might be now that McCain picked Palin

Probably a good choice to pick a H Clinton substitute.

But it's so obviously a ploy to get the disgruntled Hillary backers vote.
Just like Obama's choice was a ploy for working class votes.

Politics as usual.

Yup.... Just when was it that politics became a career choice, not something
you did for maybe 8 years and them went back to your real job?

This will be the first time in 40 years that I'm not voting...
I'm tired of voting for the candidate that I fear the least, and not having
someone that I WANT to have in the office..

Instead of not voting at all, use your vote to send a message. Vote for
a third party candidate, or make a write-in-vote. I'm with you, I don't
want either Obama or McCain. But it's going to be one of them anyway.
I live in a state where the outcome is a foregone conclusion, so the
"lesser of two evils" doesn't need my vote. So this time I plan on
doing what I suggested to you. If the Libertarian or Green candidate
actually got say 10% of the popular vote, it may not change the outcome
of the election, but just maybe the major parties will start listening.

Rita and Neil Ward August 29th 08 09:48 PM

O/T: A Milestone

Just Wondering wrote:

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the office.
It may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice to the
country to nominate an unqualified candidate.

"Age and Citizenship requirements-US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United
States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be
eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be
eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of
thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United
States."

That’s it. Those are the requirements for being President.

Just Wondering August 29th 08 10:30 PM

O/T: A Milestone

Rita and Neil Ward wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the
office. It may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice
to the country to nominate an unqualified candidate.

"Age and Citizenship requirements-US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United
States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be
eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be
eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of
thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United
States."

That’s it. Those are the requirements for being President.

Those are the minimal constitutional requirements. Are you suggesting
that every single person who meets those requirements is actually
qualified to be the chief executive of the federal government?

Lew Hodgett[_2_] August 29th 08 10:34 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Just Wondering" wrote:

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the
office. It may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice
to the country to nominate an unqualified candidate.

Just curious, what do you see as a lack of qualification(s) for the
task of president of the USA.

Lew

Elrond Hubbard August 29th 08 10:50 PM

O/T: A Milestone

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Leon"
wrote:

Many years ago it became all about the candidate getting elected,
never mind what he promised or suggested what he might do for the
nation after he gets in.

Or might do *to* the nation...

Yeah... the Bush legacy could suffer irreparable damage. Imagine the chaos
that might ensue if The Department of Homeland Security had to operate
under the crushing restrictions of the U.S. Constitution. The horror!

Scott

Lew Hodgett[_2_] August 29th 08 10:58 PM

O/T: A Milestone

"Phil Again" wrote:

[...]

There is no question that women in the work place are being
discriminated against.

As I told my daughter when she was about 15-16.

"If your grades are twice as good as your brothers, you will probably
get a job that pays 1/2 of what your brothers will be paid for the
same work, but that is the way things are right now."

"Maybe you will be able to change things."

Things have changed, but there is a long way still to go, IMHO.

As far as politics being a blood sport is concerned, the results have
been very non productive the last 25 years.

Hopefully, it will not continue after the upcoming election.

This election will drag the old body politic screaming and kicking
into the 21st century.

Take your choice, either a mixed race president or a female vice
president.

Either way, it will be a first.

Lew

Morris Dovey August 29th 08 11:14 PM

O/T: A Milestone

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Just Wondering" wrote:

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the
office. It may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice
to the country to nominate an unqualified candidate.

Just curious, what do you see as a lack of qualification(s) for the
task of president of the USA.

I'm curious, too. Specific disqualification(s), please.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Richard Evans August 30th 08 12:14 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

There is no question that women in the work place are being
discriminated against.

As I told my daughter when she was about 15-16.

"If your grades are twice as good as your brothers, you will probably
get a job that pays 1/2 of what your brothers will be paid for the
same work, but that is the way things are right now."

Nonsense. Women, *on average* make less than men for the same job
becasue *on average* they take time off to have kids and raise
families, and thus miss out on raises and promotions.

If an employer could literally get the same work for half the price,
dont'cha think the workplace would be nothing but women?

Richard Evans August 30th 08 12:15 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Just Wondering" wrote:

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the
office. It may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice
to the country to nominate an unqualified candidate.

Just curious, what do you see as a lack of qualification(s) for the
task of president of the USA.

Hell, I'll settle for explaining how he's less qualified than the bozo
we've had for seven years.

krw[_3_] August 30th 08 12:24 AM

O/T: A Milestone

In article ,
rested says...
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Leon"
wrote:

Many years ago it became all about the candidate getting elected,
never mind what he promised or suggested what he might do for the
nation after he gets in.

Or might do *to* the nation...

Yeah... the Bush legacy could suffer irreparable damage. Imagine the chaos
that might ensue if The Department of Homeland Security had to operate
under the crushing restrictions of the U.S. Constitution. The horror!

In case you hadn't noticed, Bush isn't running.

--
Keith

Larry Blanchard August 30th 08 12:35 AM

O/T: A Milestone

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:24:51 -0500, krw wrote:

In case you hadn't noticed, Bush isn't running.

Yes he is - clones count :-).

Lew Hodgett[_2_] August 30th 08 12:45 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"Richard Evans" wrote:

Nonsense. Women, *on average* make less than men for the same job
becasue *on average* they take time off to have kids and raise
families, and thus miss out on raises and promotions.

Huh!

What part of same pay for same job did you miss with your above
analysis?

It has already been defined that the male and the female have the same
qualifications for the task.

What path was followed by either the male or the female to arrived at
the qualified status, is simply not relavant to the discussion.

Lew

Richard Evans August 30th 08 01:24 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote:

Nonsense. Women, *on average* make less than men for the same job
becasue *on average* they take time off to have kids and raise
families, and thus miss out on raises and promotions.

Huh!

What part of same pay for same job did you miss with your above
analysis?

It has already been defined that the male and the female have the same
qualifications for the task.

For a narrow definition of "same".

What path was followed by either the male or the female to arrived at
the qualified status, is simply not relavant to the discussion.

When qualification includes time on the job, it certainly is relevant.
Two identically qualified people, one male and one female. They both
enter the workforce at the same time. Twenty years later, the man has
been constantly on the job and available for raises and promotions.
The woman takes off five years to raise a family and misses those same
opportunities. When she rejoins the workforce, she has five years less
experience than the man and is no longer equally qualified.

When you average all such employees, women's wages *average* less than
men's. When you control for time on the job, the effect disappears.

Carrying your argument to it's absurd conclusion, the two enter the
workforce together, the woman works one year and takes nineteen off,
then rejoins the workforce at the same rate as the men who've been
there all along?

Dave in Houston[_2_] August 30th 08 01:52 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
rested says...
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Leon"
wrote:

Many years ago it became all about the candidate getting elected,
never mind what he promised or suggested what he might do for the
nation after he gets in.

Or might do *to* the nation...

Yeah... the Bush legacy could suffer irreparable damage. Imagine the
chaos
that might ensue if The Department of Homeland Security had to operate
under the crushing restrictions of the U.S. Constitution. The horror!

In case you hadn't noticed, Bush isn't running.

McBUSH is.

Dave in Houston

Rita and Neil Ward August 30th 08 02:10 AM

O/T: A Milestone

Just Wondering wrote:
Rita and Neil Ward wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

[...]

They are not minimal: they are the only requirements under our
constitution. Yes every person who meets those requirements is qualified
to be the chief executive of the federal government.

Abraham Lincoln had less than one full year of formal education in his
entire life.

Woodrow Wilson was a political novice who had held only one public
office before becoming president.

Harry Truman was the last president without a college degree, served as
vice president just 82 days when sworn in as president of the United States.

Mike O. August 30th 08 02:15 AM

O/T: A Milestone

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:35:06 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the office.
It may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice to the
country to nominate an unqualified candidate.

You mean like the last guy...???

Mike O.

Lew Hodgett[_2_] August 30th 08 02:25 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"Richard Evans" wrote:

For a narrow definition of "same".

Narrow definition?

When qualification includes time on the job, it certainly is
relevant.

About the only thing time on the job provides is proof of the ability
to survive the company politics.

The basic question about the employee with say 25 years of service
becomes:

Do we have an employee with 1 years experience 25 times or do we have
an employee with 25 years experience?

Two identically qualified people, one male and one female. They both
enter the workforce at the same time. Twenty years later, the man
has
been constantly on the job and available for raises and promotions.
The woman takes off five years to raise a family and misses those
same
opportunities. When she rejoins the workforce, she has five years
less
experience than the man and is no longer equally qualified.

I don't know of a man alive who could do the job of a woman as a
homemaker.

The experience far exceeds the management training given to entry
level employees by leaps and bounds, IMHO.

Her learned negotiating skills alone are worth the wait.

Carrying your argument to it's absurd conclusion, the two enter the
workforce together, the woman works one year and takes nineteen off,
then rejoins the workforce at the same rate as the men who've been
there all along?

If it take 20 years to learn the assigned task, then I've made a
mistake assigning the task to that person.

Lew

krw[_3_] August 30th 08 02:48 AM

O/T: A Milestone

In article ,
says...

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
rested says...
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Leon"
wrote:

Many years ago it became all about the candidate getting elected,
never mind what he promised or suggested what he might do for the
nation after he gets in.

Or might do *to* the nation...

Yeah... the Bush legacy could suffer irreparable damage. Imagine the
chaos
that might ensue if The Department of Homeland Security had to operate
under the crushing restrictions of the U.S. Constitution. The horror!

In case you hadn't noticed, Bush isn't running.

McBUSH is.

The only other choice is Barry Obortion; no contest!

--
Keith

Mike Marlow August 30th 08 04:10 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"Just Wondering" wrote in message

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the office. It
may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice to the country to
nominate an unqualified candidate.

Stop it - he had a full 143 days in office in his previous position.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow August 30th 08 04:14 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:24:51 -0500, krw wrote:

In case you hadn't noticed, Bush isn't running.

Yes he is - clones count :-).

And the clone would be???

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow August 30th 08 04:22 AM

O/T: A Milestone

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Phil Again" wrote:

[...]

Now that is just amazing. Two posts from two different people that rambled
on in rhetorical nothingness, and which I'm sure each felt equally fulfilled
in as they hit SEND. Neither one said a damned thing.

--

-Mike-

Mike O. August 30th 08 04:24 AM

O/T: A Milestone

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:24:01 -0400, Richard Evans
wrote:

When qualification includes time on the job, it certainly is relevant.
Two identically qualified people, one male and one female. They both
enter the workforce at the same time. Twenty years later, the man has
been constantly on the job and available for raises and promotions.
The woman takes off five years to raise a family and misses those same
opportunities. When she rejoins the workforce, she has five years less
experience than the man and is no longer equally qualified.

When you average all such employees, women's wages *average* less than
men's. When you control for time on the job, the effect disappears.

The numbers don't really bear that out.
http://stats.bls.gov

While there is no control for "time on the job" there is a "never
married" category, a "no children under 18" category and several
age group categories including for ages 16 to 24. All of these
categories seem to reduce the need to adjust for seniority or for time
off due to child bearing. All of these categories still show women
earning 11% to 20% less. While not as high as other categories (some
over 25%) the difference does not disappear.

Mike O.