Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building my own garden Benches

Hi all

I am new to this site, but after looking around it seems to be just what
I was looking for.
Short introduction:
I am actually a computer guy with a carpentry hobby, just finished
building a patio (http://www.conejonetwork.com/pics/patio.jpg), and
would like to venture into building my own 2 wood benches, one with storage.
What I saw for the money I am willing to spend ($200-$300 per unit) is
ugly or looks bad, and what I liked was over a 1000.00 a piece!!.
I would like to build something from a nice dark wood, full size if
possible, meaning 4x4 or 4x6, something that would last for while.
It will be under a shaded, rain and sun protected area.
I have all the tools needed.
Your advice is greatly appreciated.

--
Holz
real nick name :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Holz wrote:
Hi all

I am new to this site, but after looking around it seems to be just what
I was looking for.
Short introduction:
I am actually a computer guy with a carpentry hobby, just finished
building a patio (http://www.conejonetwork.com/pics/patio.jpg), and
would like to venture into building my own 2 wood benches, one with
storage.
What I saw for the money I am willing to spend ($200-$300 per unit) is
ugly or looks bad, and what I liked was over a 1000.00 a piece!!.
I would like to build something from a nice dark wood, full size if
possible, meaning 4x4 or 4x6, something that would last for while.
It will be under a shaded, rain and sun protected area.
I have all the tools needed.
Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Hmm - I'd suggest doing a Google image search for patio furniture you'd
like to have so we can all have a better idea what you're after.

I like ipe and teak in the dark category. Others prefer redwood. Cypress
should also hold up fairly well. I'd guess that another set of image
searches might provide an idea of what they can look like.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Holz wrote:

Hmm - I'd suggest doing a Google image search for patio furniture you'd
like to have so we can all have a better idea what you're after.

I like ipe and teak in the dark category. Others prefer redwood. Cypress
should also hold up fairly well. I'd guess that another set of image
searches might provide an idea of what they can look like.

I would say that this is the type I am after:
http://tinyurl.com/5mvoza

Posted to rec.woodworking

Holz wrote:
[...]

What's your question?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Holz" wrote:

I would like to build something from a nice dark wood, full size if
possible, meaning 4x4 or 4x6, something that would last for while.
It will be under a shaded, rain and sun protected area.
I have all the tools needed.

Take a look on the NYW website at the garden bench ans also the potted
plant benches.

They would blend in well with what you have, especially teak; however,
$15-$20/bf pricing for teak will certainly grab your attention.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm a little confused by that web site.

The beautiful arched back bench is on the main page
but doesn't appear to be any of the benches they are
selling.

Holz wrote:

I would say that this is the type I am after:
http://tinyurl.com/5mvoza

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have built several english garden benches using this
Woodsmith plan.

http://www.woodsmith.com/plans/garden-bench/

They have several plans:

http://www.woodsmith.com/plans/categories/patio-deck/