Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 247

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1393 Planimeter. Tool to measure area on a drawing or plane surface.

"Rob H." wrote in message
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

only one item this week

1397 - weights for beam scales (Fairbanks was a major scale manufacturer)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Two wild guesses.

1394) Used to cut grass or some kind of agricultural plant??

1395) I have actually seen one of these, but I can not remember what it was
for. I am guessing that it provides protection for a lantern of some kind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Rob H. wrote:

Whichever number the picture is, the balls are decorative balls from
lightning rods.

Somebody else got the scale weights and the planimeter already.

The leg-mounted blade (assuming the lower edge is actually sharp) is a
new one to me...I've no real idea what it was actually intended for.

The long fork is part of a hayrake (the part that travelled the rail in
a barn).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1395--A cup holder for a carriage. Some of you young whippersnappers may
not realize that, in those days, accessories like this did not come
standard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 28, 7:04*am, Howard Garner wrote:
Rob H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

only one item this week

1397 - weights for beam scales (Fairbanks was a major scale manufacturer)

1397 - The Fairbanks 50lb weight is for testing elevators. This one
I'm sure of, as I remember seeing a truckjload of them once when they
were doing an elevator inspection where I worked, saw them hauling
them in & out.

The rest of them - "damfino"!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I've been looking at your site, and it's fascinating, but do you have
some place that tells what the things are? Maybe I'm overlooking it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-08-28, Rob H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1393) A planimiter. You place the cylindrical device with
the pin on top somewhere outside the border of a drawing,
set the drum reading to zero, and then trace the outline of a
significant part of the drawing with the pin on the arm with the
knurled grip above it.

When you complete the circuit of the drawing you will have a
reading showing how many square inches are enclosed.

The table above the hinge shows conversion factors for different
scales of drawings or maps.

I have one made by Bowen & Co. Bethesda MD for the U.S.C.E.
The difference is that mine has the pivot point and the counter
slide along the beam leading to the tracing point, offering
scales from 4.0:1 up to 19.0:1 and with a vernier reading to 0.01
units.

It also has a calibrator -- a brass disc with a cork bottom and
three tiny pin points sticking out of the cork, and an arm with
a dimple in which the tracing point rests halfway out the arm.
At the end of the arm is an index line, so you can be sure when
you have rotated it a full 360 degrees. Markings on the disc
show that with a scale factor of 4.0 you should read 20 square
inches.

O.K. According to a site found by Google:

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/USCE

USCE apparently referred to:

United States Army Corps of Engineers (usually seen as
USACOE or COE)

1394) Hmm ... not certain, but I suspect that it is for cutting brush
by stomping it down to give a little more clearance for whatever
you are trying to do in the brush.

1395) Looks like a protector set up around young trees in city
sidewalks. It looks as though there is now way to open
it -- so it is either slipped over the tree when very young, or
riveted in place.

It looks as though it once had feet which have been cut or torn
off.

1396) Same on both bottom and top? This suggests that a line of some
form passes fully through each one. Given the size, I suspect
that they were decorative bulges on table lamps.

1397) Obviously for weighing something quite heavy -- perhaps for
weighing vehicles? I expect something like a 20:1 ratio or
even a 100:1 ratio -- so that would allow the single 50 pound
weight to counterbalance somewhere between 1000 pounds and 5000
pounds.

The 100:1 would require two lever sets to get sufficient
reduction with a short enough beam.

1398) Strange beastie. My guess is that the device is lifted by
the rod nearest the chain once it has weight on the tines.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 28, 4:24*am, "Rob H." wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1394: I think this is a corn knife to cut down corn

1396: Lightning rod balls

1397: Weight to calibrate scales (Used by weights and measures)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 28, 3:24 am, "Rob H." wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1393 is a planometer. A mechanical devise for calculating area.
Actually identified some of these that a shop had on Portabello Road
in London. He had several but had no idea what they were. I used to
have one at work but someone ripped it off because it was so
outstandingly cool.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Nahmie wrote:
1397 - The Fairbanks 50lb weight is for testing elevators. This one
I'm sure of, as I remember seeing a truckjload of them once when they
were doing an elevator inspection where I worked, saw them hauling
them in & out.

Maybe the used them there, but that certainly isn't the only place.
Those (and larger) are used in many industrial scales (truck scales
being one of the most common, of course) and testing of same as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
"Rob H." wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I've been looking at your site, and it's fascinating, but do you have
some place that tells what the things are? Maybe I'm overlooking it.

You haven't overlooked it, answers for the current set will be posted
tomorrow afternoon, all previous sets have a link to the answer page a
little ways down from the last numbered photo in the set. I'll also post a
link to the answers here in the newsgroups tomorrow. So far they've all
been answered correctly except for number 1395.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
.. .
"Rob H." wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I've been looking at your site, and it's fascinating, but do you have
some place that tells what the things are? Maybe I'm overlooking it.

You haven't overlooked it, answers for the current set will be posted
tomorrow afternoon, all previous sets have a link to the answer page a
little ways down from the last numbered photo in the set. I'll also post a
link to the answers here in the newsgroups tomorrow. So far they've all
been answered correctly except for number 1395.

You might consider closing up some of that trailing white space. I got
as far as the "submit photos..." line and thought that's all there
was.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I've been looking at your site, and it's fascinating, but do you have
some place that tells what the things are? Maybe I'm overlooking it.

You haven't overlooked it, answers for the current set will be posted
tomorrow afternoon, all previous sets have a link to the answer page a
little ways down from the last numbered photo in the set. I'll also post
a link to the answers here in the newsgroups tomorrow. So far they've
all been answered correctly except for number 1395.

I forgot that the second type of weight has also not been answered yet, the
first weight was correctly identified as most commonly used for calibrating
scales, though they were also used for various other purposes.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I've been looking at your site, and it's fascinating, but do you have
some place that tells what the things are? Maybe I'm overlooking it.

Actually Rob is very diabolical and he just does this to tease us...

No, not really. He posts the answers a couple days later.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Rob H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1393: Scaling pantograph (based mostly on the text)
1394: A boot attachment for cutting through tangles of low vines
(kudzu, maybe?)
1395: A stent for Godzilla
1396: Christmas deocrations.
1397: Used with a balance for weighing things
1398: It's a flork.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1394 is for cutting sugar cane. Or at least, that's what I use it
for. heh.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 28, 7:31*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
.. * So far they've all
been answered correctly except for number 1395.

Rob

1395: The correct name escapes me, but it does look like the cooper's
tool that was used to contain a fire made inside a finished barrel.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:31:52 -0400, "Rob H." wrote:

I forgot that the second type of weight has also not been answered yet, the
first weight was correctly identified as most commonly used for calibrating
scales, though they were also used for various other purposes.

Rob

I think that these are horse weights. A strap from the bridle is
connected to the weight which is then placed on the ground. the horse
is free to move, but when it feels the pull from the weight, it will
move to reduce the tension in the strap. Only useful on well trained
horses.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I think that these are horse weights. A strap from the bridle is
connected to the weight which is then placed on the ground. the horse
is free to move, but when it feels the pull from the weight, it will
move to reduce the tension in the strap. Only useful on well trained
horses.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Yes, they are horse tethering weights.

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1395: The correct name escapes me, but it does look like the cooper's
tool that was used to contain a fire made inside a finished barrel.

Correct, it's a barrel cresset. The rest of the answers for this set can be
seen he

http://pzphotosans247r.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1398 is a hay unloading device? I thought of that, but it seemed much too
small. I have used several versions of a hay unloading device. They were
all bigger and were thrust vertically into the hay.

I suppose if you were dealing with a small load and were unloading it from
the side, you could use something like this. There are far better designs
out there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

only one item this week

1397 - weights for beam scales (Fairbanks was a major scale manufacturer)

1397 - The Fairbanks 50lb weight is for testing elevators. This one
I'm sure of, as I remember seeing a truckjload of them once when they
were doing an elevator inspection where I worked, saw them hauling
them in & out.

The rest of them - "damfino"!

The weights are used to calibrate scales. If you ever get to see the
Inspector certify a scale for commercial use you will see them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob
only one item this week

1397 - weights for beam scales (Fairbanks was a major scale manufacturer)

1397 - The Fairbanks 50lb weight is for testing elevators. This one
I'm sure of, as I remember seeing a truckjload of them once when they
were doing an elevator inspection where I worked, saw them hauling
them in & out.

The rest of them - "damfino"!

The weights are used to calibrate scales. If you ever get to see the
Inspector certify a scale for commercial use you will see them.

Hey guys,

Actually, the weights are just "weights". Many uses, from scale
testing as mentioned, to (also as mentioned) in my own case for
testing and setting elevators and their controls during both
installation and authority inspection.

The local Toledo Scale place rented them out fairly regularly for uses
above, and commonly to test fork-lifts, and I've even seen them used
to snub "cat-heads" on roof tops.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.