Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 245

Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 4:24*am, "Rob H." wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Is it just me or are these things getting harder?

I used to be able to get one or two no I almost never get one.
1382 A yoke for livestock to keep them from going through a gate?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 4:24 am, "Rob H." wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets allow
the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's rings. The
barrel is then lifted.
I don't know why it would be used rather than rolling the barrels.

Pierre

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Rob H." wrote:

Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets
allow the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's
rings. The barrel is then lifted.
I don't know why it would be used rather than rolling the barrels.

Maybe barrel rolling harmed the wine? Or was thought to.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Heck---at least there are a few I can GUESS at
this week!

1382 Barrel carrier

1383 Hoof trimmer

1385 Incense burner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item 1384 looks like a block of compressed peat.

Stuart

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Aug 14, 4:24 am, "Rob H." wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets allow
the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's rings. The
barrel is then lifted.
I don't know why it would be used rather than rolling the barrels.

Pierre

Perhaps to move the barrels up and down stairs and or to protect the barrels
from crushing under their own weight while rolling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Rob H. wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1381: Part of it looks like a wire cutter.
1382: Perhaps another cooper's tool
1383: Possibly a sealing tool
1384: A stamp for stamping molds.
1385: Flowerpot?

result in a fully-depreciated one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets allow
the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's rings. The
barrel is then lifted.
I don't know why it would be used rather than rolling the barrels.

Probably because you don't want to stir up the stuff in the bottom of
the barrel.

(Ha! I was at least close with "cooper's tool". At least it's
barrel-related)
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 10:19*am, "BillM" wrote:
Heck---at least there are a few I can GUESS at
this week!

1382 *Barrel carrier

1383 *Hoof trimmer

1385 *Incense burner

I think you're "close" on 1383, but It looks more like a "horn lopper"
to me. Of course, I have been known to be wrong!
Norm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 4:24 am, "Rob H." wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

'46: railroad spike extraction tool. the 'C' at the bottom grabs the
head, and the knobs are for the fork on a standard spike extraction
bar (doefoot bar) to grab. This allows leverage from the rail head,
rather than the crosstie, and allows for a grab from above on spikes
that are blocked from direct side access.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Limp Arbor wrote:
1382 A yoke for livestock to keep them from going through a gate?

Not positive what it is, but it isn't a cattle yoke...

I'd say the guess about the wine barrel is probably a pretty good one,
though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Nahmie wrote:
On Aug 14, 10:19 am, "BillM" wrote:

1383 Hoof trimmer

I think you're "close" on 1383, but It looks more like a "horn lopper"
to me. Of course, I have been known to be wrong!

No on both those guesses.

I'm not at all sure what it is, but it isn't either of those.

The concave knife wouldn't all cutting through w/ the concave backstop
which would prevent it being useful for those functions.

Horn trimmers of the lopping style are generally quite similar in
construction to a ratcheting limb lopper except better-designed ones
have the blade constructed such that it is hinged on both ends so the
cutter is place over the end of the horn rather than opening to go at it
from the side. The latter style is seen for smaller animals, though.
(Worn too much blood and manure to be fooled by that one ).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 4:49*pm, dpb wrote:
Nahmie wrote:

1383 *Hoof trimmer

--

Like I saied, been known to be wrong.(LOL) It was just a SWAG, a poor
one at that. This is the one I really remember:

http://dairyantiques.com/images/000_1650c.jpg

(I've worn my share of blood & manure too!)
Norm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Aug 14, 4:24 am, "Rob H." wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets allow
the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's rings. The
barrel is then lifted.

This answer is correct, although according to the patent, barrels were not
the primary load that this device was meant to carry. It was for something
common in the 1880's, but not so common now.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Nahmie wrote:
On Aug 14, 10:19 am, "BillM" wrote:

1383 Hoof trimmer

I think you're "close" on 1383, but It looks more like a "horn lopper"
to me. Of course, I have been known to be wrong!

No on both those guesses.

You're right, it's neither one of those, and it wasn't used on animals. The
owner just sent me it's length, it's 25cm or 9.8 inches long, I haven't seen
one of these before, maybe they were only made in Europe.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Nahmie wrote:
... This is the one I really remember:

Ayup...

http://dairyantiques.com/images/000_1650c.jpg

(I've worn my share of blood & manure too!)

But nothing antique about that one at all...it's still sharp and oiled
and hanging in the barn waiting for next spring business...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

This answer is correct, although according to the patent, barrels were not
the primary load that this device was meant to carry. It was for
something
common in the 1880's, but not so common now.

Hogshead?

Nope, it wasn't for a hogshead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Aug 14, 4:24 am, "Rob H." wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

'46: railroad spike extraction tool. the 'C' at the bottom grabs the
head, and the knobs are for the fork on a standard spike extraction
bar (doefoot bar) to grab. This allows leverage from the rail head,
rather than the crosstie, and allows for a grab from above on spikes
that are blocked from direct side access.

Correct, it's for pulling a railroad spike.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"news.aaisp.net.uk" wrote in message

"Rob H." wrote in message
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item 1384 looks like a block of compressed peat.

Yes, it's for use in a furnace.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-08-14, Rob H. wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As always, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

1381) Hmm ... looks as though it is designed to be driven
into the top of a steel barrel or a large tin can (striking on
the projecting flat with a hammer), and then hooked into the
edge and used as a canopener to remove the lid in its entirity
by working around the full diameter of the container.

1382) This looks as though it is designed to close around the
neck of a cow or horse to control its exit from a controlled
area. Perhaps to hold a cow in place while it is milked.

The ratchets on the cross-pieces are designed to slide together
easily, but to require a bit more dexterity to unlatch it to
allow the sides to slide apart again.

1383) Perhaps designed to cut a notch around a wood dowel by closing
the pliers and then rotating them around the dowel in
preparation for breaking it at the score.

1384) This appears to be an ingot of copper, and the BNM may
represent a bank's name. Though I don't know of copper
having any monitary value other than in the US penny.

1385) No details of the inside? The chimney structure in
the lid suggests that is is perhaps for burning incense.

The colors suggest that it may at one time have had inlays
of copper in the grooves.

1386) Perhaps designed to slide up and down vertical rods in a
fireplace and lock at whatever height is desired to support
other cooking tools.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

I'll take a stab at 1381 and say that it's a bottle decapper or some kind of
decapping device.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"BillM" wrote in message

"Rob H." wrote in message

This answer is correct, although according to the patent, barrels were
not
the primary load that this device was meant to carry. It was for
something
common in the 1880's, but not so common now.

Hogshead?

Nope, it wasn't for a hogshead.

Milk Can?

It wasn't for milk cans

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote:
wrote in message
"Rob H." wrote:

Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets
allow the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's
rings. The barrel is then lifted.

This answer is correct, although according to the patent, barrels
were not the primary load that this device was meant to carry. It
was for something common in the 1880's, but not so common now.

Aha. Dung disposal. :-)

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:20:47 -0700 (PDT), Nahmie
wrote:

On Aug 14, 10:19*am, "BillM" wrote:
Heck---at least there are a few I can GUESS at
this week!

1382 *Barrel carrier

1383 *Hoof trimmer

1385 *Incense burner

I think you're "close" on 1383, but It looks more like a "horn lopper"
to me. Of course, I have been known to be wrong!
Norm

Nahmie?

Is dat you?

You kinda dropped off the radar, bro.

Good to see your voice again.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1381) Hmm ... looks as though it is designed to be driven
into the top of a steel barrel or a large tin can (striking on
the projecting flat with a hammer), and then hooked into the
edge and used as a canopener to remove the lid in its entirity
by working around the full diameter of the container.

You're partially correct, one of its functions is to open something, but not
barrels or cans.

1385) No details of the inside? The chimney structure in
the lid suggests that is is perhaps for burning incense.

The colors suggest that it may at one time have had inlays
of copper in the grooves.

I agree that it's probably a censer, but from exactly where is hard to say.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1382 - I don't think this is for wine barrels, I think it is for
lifting cooking kettles off the fire.
Dave

It wasn't used for lifting cooking kettles.

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 1:48*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Aug 14, 4:24*am, "Rob H." wrote:

Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Is it just me or are these things getting harder?

I used to be able to get one or two no I almost never get one.
1382 * A yoke for livestock to keep them from going through a gate?

That's what I thought.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 4:24*am, "Rob H." wrote:
Six more items have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Been a while since I have seen a block of "turf" or peat for heating
fuel, but that's what you got there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message

1382 - I don't think this is for wine
barrels, I think it is for
lifting cooking kettles off the fire. Dave

It wasn't used for lifting cooking kettles.

OK----something from the 1880's, round, that
would take 2 people to pack .

Beehive?

Keg of nails or horseshoes?

Gunpowder?

Barrel of beer?

Peter Piper's peck of pickled peppers?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

OK----something from the 1880's, round, that
would take 2 people to pack .

Beehive?

Keg of nails or horseshoes?

Gunpowder?

Barrel of beer?

Peter Piper's peck of pickled peppers?

None of the above, it was something found in the home or place of business.

Four of the rest were answered correctly this week:

http://pzphotosans245.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Rob H. wrote:
... it was something found in the home or place of business.

Now _that_ really narrows it down...