Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 244

Back to my usual schedule this week, here is the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

Rob H. wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, here is the latest set:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1374 is a Danco Demountable Hammer. Used for non-marring of struck surfaces.
The nut allows the clamping of non-marring inserts, these inserts were
available in rawhide, babbitt and copper.

#2- 1-1/2" Diameter. Hammer weight with inserts 1-3/4 lb.
Hammer cost complete, 1947: $3.45 Additional rawhide inserts $1.45 pr.
Copper and Babbitt inserts 1.20 pr.

Chicago Rawhide put a similar product out later on, but called it a
Jaw-Head hammer.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1375: cabinet makers scribe.

--.- Dave

#2- 1-1/2" Diameter. Hammer weight with inserts 1-3/4 lb.
Hammer cost complete, 1947: $3.45 Additional rawhide inserts $1.45 pr.
Copper and Babbitt inserts 1.20 pr.

Chicago Rawhide put a similar product out later on, but called it a
Jaw-Head hammer.

Tom

Thanks for the hammer information, I did some searching but didn't find
anything. I asked the seller and he thought it wasn't missing any parts,
sounds like he never actually used it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-08-07, Rob H. wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, here is the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting in rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

1375) Hmm ... designed for marking wood at a preset distance from
an edge. And this one has a feature by which you can set it
directly *at* an edge, then flip the two wings, and move it a
fixed distance from that edge. Normally It would be used by
setting to the far edge, then withdrawn to mark a centerline for
the screws to go through that and into something else.

1376) Hmm ... looks like a tool for extracting a fence staple from
a wooden fencepost.

1377) These appear to be more traps -- with at least the upper one
Designed to close only a certain distance -- to grip but not
break a leg perhaps?

1378) Looks like something designed to extract a partially-inseted
cork. Or perhaps to hold a candle by its base while it is used
to light others?

1379) Hmm ... splitting bamboo, perhaps?

1374) Why is the lowest number at the end of the list?

Anyway -- that is a hammer for replaceable soft faces. The nut
around the handle closes the two halves of the head on the
material of choice for a soft-face hammer. It could be leather
wound in a spiral, Turned nylon, cast lead, turned brass or
whatever as the needs of the task require. The basic
requirement is that it not mar whatever is being struck, but it
needs to transmit as much energy as possible to it without
marring it, hence the choices for the face inserts.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1376, Cotter pin puller. I have one just like it i used to use on VW axles
--
Stupendous Man,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1379) Hmm ... splitting bamboo, perhaps?

Sounds like a good guess.

1374) Why is the lowest number at the end of the list?

Looks like I forgot to change it, I always start with a copy of the previous
week's set and modify the numbers and links for the new one.

The answers for the latest set can be seen he

http://pzphotosans244r.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Back to my usual schedule this week, here is the latest set:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

The BBC are getting in on the act....

Adrian

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Adrian Bailey" wrote in message
"Rob H." wrote in message
Back to my usual schedule this week, here is the latest set:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

The BBC are getting in on the act....

Adrian

Thanks, that was a good link though I only got 6 out of 10.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1383

I think 1383 might be a farrier's tool. A nail puller for horse
shoes.