Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router applications?

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , John Doe wrote:

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

Yes, any ordinary router will do that (if equipped with a bit of the proper
size) -- but NOT if used freehand. 1/4" square is far too small, and Delrin
much too flexible, to have any hope of freehanding that safely or accurately.
You'll need to either mount the rounter in a router table and move the rod
past the bit (as opposed to clamping the rod in place and moving the router),
or devise some sort of fixture to hold the rod rigidly in place, and guide the
router along it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

John Doe wrote in news:PRrlk.18083$89.6930
@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

Since router bits run at something like 15,000 rpm, and have very sharp
edges, I'd read the instructions for using a router first, then try it all
out on a piece of pine or MDF (watch the noxious dust!). Gaining a little
experience before using it on something valable will pay off. Or do you
have a lot of Delrin to play with?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in news:PRrlk.18083$89.6930
@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

Harbor Freight sells a mini-table saw for about $50. I'd use that rather
than mess with a router, it just seems the router is too powerful and too
big to do that.

You might be able to purchase a rod with the profile you want. Most hobby
shops would carry it in 12" lengths, but you could probably special order
longer. These are usually a styrene rod, and not Delrin.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:
I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

An ordinary router could be used to do the job, but it would be easier
(and perhaps safer if you've never used a router before) to do the job
on a table saw with a featherboard, a hold-down, and a push stick.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

I'd be concerned that a router would heat the Delrin and make a mess. My
thought would be to use that saw that Puckdropper suggested.

Be sure to set it up properly and use a push stick to keep your fingers out
of the way. I'd probably make a 1/4 x 1/4 groove in a board, set the Delrin
into it, then push the board over the saw blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Your might try using a Dremel tool but as everyone said, take the time to
hold it safely.
I would not try this unless it's in a router table.
Perhaps you could attach it to a larger piece of wood with double sided
tape.

"John Doe" wrote in message

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Google Groups is destroying the USENET archive,
to hell with Google.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd make and use a scratch stock and have the job done long before I'd
have a router jig made and adjusted. As a novice router user you're just
begging for pain with this as a first project.
Instructions here for a scratch stock:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26507

Art

"John Doe" wrote ...

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

I'd be concerned that a router would heat the Delrin and make a mess.
My thought would be to use that saw that Puckdropper suggested.

Be sure to set it up properly and use a push stick to keep your
fingers out of the way. I'd probably make a 1/4 x 1/4 groove in a
board, set the Delrin into it, then push the board over the saw blade.

Good solution.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

Kind of small stock to hold properly and use a high speed device on. I'd
consider cutting a simple channel with a chisel, hand saw, razor knife or
something like that and clean it up with one of Lee Valley's new side rabbet
planes.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...12&cat=51&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message
I'd make and use a scratch stock and have the job done long before I'd
have a router jig made and adjusted. As a novice router user you're just
begging for pain with this as a first project.
Instructions here for a scratch stock:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26507

Art

Nice thought about using a scratch stock, but you'd play hell trying to make
a cutter that'll work in delrin. For cutting delrin, you need quite a bit of
power or a very sharp, positive rake cutter to make a non-chatter-y
cut...and to keep from gouging in with the sharp rake, you need some sort of
cut limiter.

Mike

"John Doe" wrote ...

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8"
wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end
view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router
do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I haven't tried cutting delrin this way but many other plastics have cut just fine
with a scratch stock. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that this small a cut in delrin
wouldn't be that difficult. Especially as a scratch stock is used like a plane and
takes off a little bit with each pass. It is normally used with a negative rake
angle
so I bow to your expertise here.
Proper positioning of the cutter in the wooden handle allows the handle to be
both the depth limiter and a fence.
Art

"The Davenport's" wrote