Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How is a blank like this made?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/WXML375.html

I've never done anything like create a blank like this
and maybe never will but I am curious how it is done.
For $20 it has to be made in China because it looks
labor intensive. But what do they do? Put all the
scraps into a mold and inject it with epoxy? Seems like
it would take a lot of equipment to make something like
this, that for which there probably isn't a huge market.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 1:16*am, errfrsdaf wrote:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/WXML375.html

I've never done anything like create a blank like this
and maybe never will but I am curious how it is done.
For $20 it has to be made in China because it looks
labor intensive. *But what do they do? *Put all the
scraps into a mold and inject it with epoxy? *Seems like
it would take a lot of equipment to make something like
this, that for which there probably isn't a huge market.

The blocks are probably glued up as a sheet then cut into squares and
the squares are glued up to the finished block size. Or something
similar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 01:16:11 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/WXML375.html

I've never done anything like create a blank like this and maybe never
will but I am curious how it is done. For $20 it has to be made in China
because it looks labor intensive. But what do they do? Put all the
scraps into a mold and inject it with epoxy? Seems like it would take a
lot of equipment to make something like this, that for which there
probably isn't a huge market. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

Roy Underhill had a guy on a while back that did inlay work. He would
take small pieces and glue them up just like you would do for a tabletop
then stacked the "panels" and glued them up. It went pretty easy and he
could get some very interesting patterns when they were cut apart. This
looks like the same process only with larger pieces.

Rattlesnake pen blank randyswoodshoop Woodturning 3 April 24th 08 02:41 PM
Other advancements were also being made to improve the durability ofthe wristwatch. The faces were replace with ones made of synthetic plastic.This made them much more durable and resistant to breaking and cracking.Another advancement was in the dial wholesale2 Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 08:16 PM
How to clean a stain off a machine made or hand made rug reviberation Home Repair 1 June 21st 07 08:03 PM
Blank wallplate Derek UK diy 5 January 19th 07 09:19 PM
Blank LCD [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 October 11th 06 09:34 AM