Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Experience with LV's Dado Set?

Anybody have experience with Lee Valley's dado set linked below?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,41165&ap=1

A major portion of the dados I expect to cut will be crosscutting in
veneered plywood. Should the chip limitation model be sufficient? Would the
melamine dado version be usable on veneered ply and also add additional
protection against chipping veneer?

Am I shooting too high with this dado set or could I get by with something
like Freud's dado set?
http://www.freudtools.com/p-315-pro-dado-set.aspx

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got the Frued set. I do get some chipping on plywood with it.

When I need another for good cabinetry, I plan to try one designed for
melamine, so I'm VERY interested in your decision and results! (These
buggers are not cheap, especially when you figure out just how few
feet of wood you actually cut with them - its like the mileage on my
F250/4wd truck!)

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 00:31:22 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

Anybody have experience with Lee Valley's dado set linked below?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,41165&ap=1

A major portion of the dados I expect to cut will be crosscutting in
veneered plywood. Should the chip limitation model be sufficient? Would the
melamine dado version be usable on veneered ply and also add additional
protection against chipping veneer?

Am I shooting too high with this dado set or could I get by with something
like Freud's dado set?
http://www.freudtools.com/p-315-pro-dado-set.aspx

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Art" wrote in message
I've got the Freud set. I do get some chipping on plywood with it.

Well, I just bought the Freud set considering it's half the price of the LV
set and that right now anyway, I'll be using it on cedar for some outdoor
furniture. When I get around to the veneered plywood, I'll test it out and
let you know the results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Art wrote:
I've got the Frued set. I do get some chipping on plywood with it.

When I need another for good cabinetry, I plan to try one designed for
melamine, so I'm VERY interested in your decision and results!

I cut melamine with a Forrest Chopmaster mounted in the table saw.

I dado and rabbet melamine with a router. G

As for the chipping, do you use a zero clearance insert or sled for
plywood crosscuts? It works great for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Art wrote:
I've got the Frued set. I do get some chipping on plywood with it.

I have a Freud set and have no problems with chipping; however, use a
custom fit zero clearance insert for almost every job.

SFWIW, a roll of double backed adhesive tape and some scrap 6mm
hardboard pieces make a lot of zero clearance blanks.

3 pieces, sanded smooth on the back side before taping is just about
right.

Lew