Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Problems Jointing

I have a 6ft jet jointer and have begun working with it. I've been
researching and reading about how to do this properly and I'm still
having challenges.

What seems to happen to me, no matter what board I use or how much I
cut off on each pass is that it cuts the first couple inches of the
board and then pretty much skips the remainder of the board. This
seems to happen regardless of where I put pressure on the board.
Generally I follow the guidline of pushing the board over the cutter
and then apply the pressure to the outfeed of the table, all I end up
doing is creating thinner ends that a straight line cut across the
entire board.

I also have checked that everything is level, etc.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 13:19:26 -0700 (PDT), bigt
wrote:

I have a 6ft jet jointer and have begun working with it. I've been
researching and reading about how to do this properly and I'm still
having challenges.

What seems to happen to me, no matter what board I use or how much I
cut off on each pass is that it cuts the first couple inches of the
board and then pretty much skips the remainder of the board. This
seems to happen regardless of where I put pressure on the board.
Generally I follow the guidline of pushing the board over the cutter
and then apply the pressure to the outfeed of the table, all I end up
doing is creating thinner ends that a straight line cut across the
entire board.

I also have checked that everything is level, etc.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

try lowering the outfeed table. or is it raise the outfeed table?
check to be sure the tables are coplaner.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 1, 3:19 pm, bigt wrote:
I have a 6ft jet jointer and have begun working with it. I've been
researching and reading about how to do this properly and I'm still
having challenges.

I agree with the co-planer issue. Sound like your outfeed table is
sloping uphill. If it's not that then it is definitely something
else
Posted to rec.woodworking

bigt wrote:

What seems to happen to me, no matter what board I use or how much I
cut off on each pass is that it cuts the first couple inches of the
board and then pretty much skips the remainder of the board.

Either your outfeed table is dipping down at the end (not parallel to
the infeed) or else it's too high relative to the blades.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

The outfeed table should be sightly lower than the infeed by 1/32 - 1/16".
To get a straight edge and not tapered you should be keeping the board up
against the fence and not pushing down over the knives. Let the jointer
straighten the edge by keeping the board against the fence.

Tim

"bigt" wrote in message
I have a 6ft jet jointer and have begun working with it. I've been
researching and reading about how to do this properly and I'm still
having challenges.

What seems to happen to me, no matter what board I use or how much I
cut off on each pass is that it cuts the first couple inches of the
board and then pretty much skips the remainder of the board. This
seems to happen regardless of where I put pressure on the board.
Generally I follow the guidline of pushing the board over the cutter
and then apply the pressure to the outfeed of the table, all I end up
doing is creating thinner ends that a straight line cut across the
entire board.

I also have checked that everything is level, etc.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry about the top-post, but...

WHAT???

The outfeed LOWER than the infeed?

No...the outfeed needs to be at the SAME height as the blades and the INfeed
lower than the blades

. ..

"bigt" wrote in message
I have a 6ft jet jointer and have begun working with it. I've been
researching and reading about how to do this properly and I'm still
having challenges.

What seems to happen to me, no matter what board I use or how much I
cut off on each pass is that it cuts the first couple inches of the
board and then pretty much skips the remainder of the board. This
seems to happen regardless of where I put pressure on the board.
Generally I follow the guidline of pushing the board over the cutter
and then apply the pressure to the outfeed of the table, all I end up
doing is creating thinner ends that a straight line cut across the
entire board.

I also have checked that everything is level, etc.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "tdup2" wrote:
The outfeed table should be sightly lower than the infeed by 1/32 - 1/16".

You stated that exactly backward. Proper setup has the knives about 0.002"
above the outfeed table. The infeed table is then lowered below the outfeed
table by the depth of the cut you wish to take.

To get a straight edge and not tapered you should be keeping the board up
against the fence and not pushing down over the knives. Let the jointer
straighten the edge by keeping the board against the fence.

Also incorrect. It's necessary to keep some pressure down against the table;
that's your reference surface, after all, and you need to keep the wood in
close contact with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tdup2" wrote in message
. ..
The outfeed table should be sightly lower than the infeed by 1/32 - 1/16".

NOT!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"tdup2" wrote in message
. ..
The outfeed table should be sightly lower than the infeed by 1/32 -
1/16".

NOT!

Exactly! The outfeed table is ALWAYS lower to the infeed table by the depth
of the cut.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"tdup2" wrote in message
. ..
The outfeed table should be sightly lower than the infeed by 1/32 -
1/16".

NOT!

Exactly! The outfeed table is ALWAYS lower to the infeed table by the
depth of the cut.

Dave in Houston

NOT! ;~)

The out feed should be the same height as the knives and the in feed should
be lowered to the desired depth of cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Dave in Houston" wrote:

Exactly! The outfeed table is ALWAYS lower to the infeed table by the depth
of the cut.

You misspelled "higher".
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"tdup2" wrote in message
. ..
The outfeed table should be sightly lower than the infeed by 1/32 -
1/16".

NOT!

Exactly! The outfeed table is ALWAYS lower to the infeed table by the

depth
of the cut.

We all know that you just typed that backwards, Dave. Go get yourself
another cup of coffee!

Hazards of wrec'ing in the early morning ...do it all the time.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Dave in Houston"
wrote:

Exactly! The outfeed table is ALWAYS lower to the infeed table by the
depth
of the cut.

You misspelled "higher".

The spell checker probably did it to him... don't you just hate it when that
happens?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"tdup2" wrote in message
. ..
The outfeed table should be sightly lower than the infeed by 1/32 -
1/16".

NOT!

Exactly! The outfeed table is ALWAYS lower to the infeed table by the
depth of the cut.

Dave in Houston

NOT! ;~)

The out feed should be the same height as the knives and the in feed
should be lowered to the desired depth of cut.

Oh, ****; lysdexia strikes again.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

Exactly! The outfeed table is ALWAYS lower to the infeed table by the
depth of the cut.

Dave in Houston

NOT! ;~)

The out feed should be the same height as the knives and the in feed
should be lowered to the desired depth of cut.

Oh, ****; lysdexia strikes again.

Dave in Houston

LOL, I know! Been there and now sell the t-shirt.

Best jointing glue. PVR Woodworking 24 August 13th 07 02:42 AM
Jointing Question stoutman Woodworking 17 October 5th 05 10:08 PM
Jointing on a Table Saw Phisherman Woodworking 7 January 28th 05 09:08 PM
jointing oil fittings Stanley Spanner UK diy 7 July 7th 03 02:35 PM