DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plywood from China (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/256792-plywood-china.html)

samson July 30th 08 05:01 AM

Plywood from China

I'm never using it again.

S.

Mark & Juanita July 30th 08 06:04 AM

Plywood from China

samson wrote:

I'm never using it again.

S.

So, what was it that convince you? The quality or the intoxicating aroma?

samson July 30th 08 07:30 AM

Plywood from China

In article ,
says...
samson wrote:

I'm never using it again.

S.

So, what was it that convince you? The quality or the intoxicating aroma?

So many things.

S.

Doug Miller July 30th 08 12:02 PM

Plywood from China

In article , samson wrote:
In article ,
says...
samson wrote:

I'm never using it again.

So, what was it that convince you? The quality or the intoxicating aroma?

So many things.

Could you be less specific?

sweet sawdust July 30th 08 12:57 PM

Plywood from China

"samson" wrote in message
I'm never using it again.

S.

Let me see if your reason is the same as mine
Went to lumber yard and purchased a 3/4 sheet of furniture grade birch
plywood to cut into pieces about 14 inches by 18 inches for a project. The
plywood was only about 3/4 usable due to voids in the material, lost another
few pieces due to lamanite seperation. Finaly got 8 "good" blocks out of
the sheet. Out of the 8 two warped out of shape, so now out of the 12 I
needed I have 6 usable blocks and those are from good to fair. While
cutting I had a stink in the shop worse then a skunk just not as powerful
and went away quickly, while routing the blocks I hit metal and ruined a new
30 dollar router bit. I now have $30 invested in wood and $30 in a router
bit and only half of material for my project. Went back to lumber yard
purchased a 3/4 inch sheet of furniture grade birch plywood made in Canada,
cost $50, got all 12 blocks out of it, no stink while cutting, no metal to
ruin router bit, no voids, no warping
Is this sad tale something like what you are going through? Sad part is
that the lumber yard only carries the china made ply now except by special
order.

Renata July 30th 08 02:06 PM

Plywood from China

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:01:57 -0500, samson wrote:

I'm never using it again.

S.

Agreed.

Two places in the area, both carrying it, but one being a hardwood
place isn't willing to order anything. Other place (Allied in VA)
carries Chinese and other. Used to be, their cherry was Canadian.
Which was good since it was cut to metric sizes which was a tad bigger
than imperial, giving some leeway for a sawcut or two. Now, you gotta
specifically request non-Chinese, which fortunately they do have or
can get, but it (cherry) was from NCarolina last time I ordered some
(fine, except for being non-metric).

Aside, but vaguely related. Went to lunch with some buddies from
work. One had just been to Taiwan. He and a couple others were
Chinese (but US citizens, etc., etc.). In Taiwan, he said a lot of
the people are carrying chopsticks with them that they pull out of
their purse at the restaurant. Why? 'Cause the chopsticks in the
restaurant are from China and may have some nasty chemicals used to
"sterilize" them.

Renata

Lew Hodgett[_2_] July 30th 08 02:49 PM

Plywood from China

samson wrote:

I'm never using it again.

Always has been garbage.

What took you so long to discover thatgrin?

Seriously, someday they will learn to play by the rules when selling
to a spec market.

Mean time, ignoring them is safest thing you can do.

Lew

RicodJour July 30th 08 03:20 PM

Plywood from China

On Jul 30, 9:06*am, Renata wrote:

Aside, but vaguely related. *Went to lunch with some buddies from
work. *One had just been to Taiwan. *He and a couple others were
Chinese (but US citizens, etc., etc.). *In Taiwan, he said a lot of
the people are carrying chopsticks with them that they pull out of
their purse at the restaurant. *Why? *'Cause the chopsticks in the
restaurant are from China and may have some nasty chemicals used to
"sterilize" them. *

Non-disposable chopsticks have been carried to restaurants for a far
longer time than China has been a manufacturing player. I bring them
because I don't like the rough texture of the cheap chopsticks. I
don't trust too much coming out of China, but there's also
scaremongering and a bit of urban legend at play.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/chopsticks.asp

samson July 30th 08 06:49 PM

Plywood from China

In article ,
says...

"samson" wrote in message
[...]

For me, all that except the metal. The separation is bad in parts.
Also, some of the birch laminate is superthin, so sanding just a
bit took the birch right off. I'm paying the extra 20 bucks or so
to get something else next time.

S.
to the

evodawg July 30th 08 08:45 PM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

samson wrote:

I'm never using it again.

S.

I hung a mirror for customer the other day. Used 2 heavy duty lags, well the
head of one lag sheered off and the mirror came crashing to the tile floor.
Damage, the mirror broke into pieces, the frame also broke, the tile under
the mirror cracked. The screw cost how much? Later I find out its not even
made of steel, its made from Zinc and made in China. I charged $50.00 to
hang the mirror. It will cost much more than that to replace the tile and
the mirror, not to mention fixing the scratch on the wall. All because of a
lousy screw. Thanks China, for turning a life long customer into a lost
irate one. Wondering where you go for customer support for something like
this? Freakin Chinese CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Lew Hodgett[_2_] July 30th 08 09:10 PM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

"evodawg" wrote:

SNIP a tale of fastener woe

lousy screw. Thanks China, for turning a life long customer into a
lost
irate one. Wondering where you go for customer support for
something like
this? Freakin Chinese CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SFWIW, I standardized on 316L fasteners a long time ago.

WHY:

It's the standard for marine applications which is my primary area..

China is NOT a supplier of 316L, YET.

Fasteners, for the most part, represent a small percentage of the
total project cost, so purchase price is not an issue.

Jamestown Distributors has an extensive S/S inventory so availability
is not usually an issue.

They don't rust.

They look purtygrin

Lew

Frank Boettcher July 30th 08 09:27 PM

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:45:39 GMT, evodawg wrote:

samson wrote:

I'm never using it again.

S.

I hung a mirror for customer the other day. Used 2 heavy duty lags, well the
head of one lag sheered off and the mirror came crashing to the tile floor.
Damage, the mirror broke into pieces, the frame also broke, the tile under
the mirror cracked. The screw cost how much? Later I find out its not even
made of steel, its made from Zinc and made in China. I charged $50.00 to
hang the mirror. It will cost much more than that to replace the tile and
the mirror, not to mention fixing the scratch on the wall. All because of a
lousy screw. Thanks China, for turning a life long customer into a lost
irate one. Wondering where you go for customer support for something like
this? Freakin Chinese CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On packaged stuff from China, as a matter of routine, I buy it and
open and inspect right there in the store. Saves gas getting to the
returns desk. learned that the hard way.

Frank

Doug Miller July 30th 08 10:57 PM

In article , Frank Boettcher wrote:

On packaged stuff from China, as a matter of routine, I buy it and
open and inspect right there in the store. Saves gas getting to the
returns desk. learned that the hard way.

Saves even more time if you set it aside the moment you see the magic words
"Made in China" and get something better instead.

Eventually, I'm sure they'll start making better-quality products -- I'm old
enough to remember when the words "Made in Japan" meant "crap", and we all now
what those words mean *now* -- but it may not happen until after they've
transitioned to a capitalist economy.

Lee Michaels[_2_] July 30th 08 11:00 PM

"evodawg" wrote in message
samson wrote:

I'm never using it again.

S.

I hung a mirror for customer the other day. Used 2 heavy duty lags, well
the
head of one lag sheered off and the mirror came crashing to the tile
floor.
Damage, the mirror broke into pieces, the frame also broke, the tile under
the mirror cracked. The screw cost how much? Later I find out its not even
made of steel, its made from Zinc and made in China. I charged $50.00 to
hang the mirror. It will cost much more than that to replace the tile and
the mirror, not to mention fixing the scratch on the wall. All because of
lousy screw. Thanks China, for turning a life long customer into a lost
irate one. Wondering where you go for customer support for something like
this? Freakin Chinese CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I learned long ago to go to an industrial fastener place for my fasteners.
It took more time, but it saved me an incredible amount of grief and money.
And the price isn't bad either when you buy in quantity.

Morris Dovey July 30th 08 11:20 PM

Lee Michaels wrote:

I learned long ago to go to an industrial fastener place for my fasteners.
It took more time, but it saved me an incredible amount of grief and money.
And the price isn't bad either when you buy in quantity.

In the spirit of fine woodworking, I made a trip to Fastenal and bought
a big box of stainless steel pop rivets to use with my HF pneumatic
riveting tool. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Ken[_10_] July 31st 08 12:18 AM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the electronics,
next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Doug Miller July 31st 08 12:58 AM

In article , "Ken" wrote:
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the electronics,
next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Back in the 1970s, I used to see a lot of cars with bumper stickers saying
"Buy What America Builds." They didn't understand then, any more than you do
now. The U.S. auto makers went into the toilet because it took them -- and
the UAW -- twenty years to get the message that they needed to *build* what
America *buys*.

evodawg July 31st 08 02:15 AM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Ken"
wrote:
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the electronics,
next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Back in the 1970s, I used to see a lot of cars with bumper stickers saying
"Buy What America Builds." They didn't understand then, any more than you
do
now. The U.S. auto makers went into the toilet because it took them --
and the UAW -- twenty years to get the message that they needed to *build*
what America *buys*.

Yes, and between then and now they've made these ridiculous pension deals
with the UAW. That's already dealing a death blow to the US Auto
Manufactures. I just don't like the fact you can't even go into a hardware
store and buy a decent SCREW!!! What is this world coming to???????

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

evodawg July 31st 08 02:16 AM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

evodawg wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Ken"
wrote:
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the electronics,
next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Back in the 1970s, I used to see a lot of cars with bumper stickers
saying "Buy What America Builds." They didn't understand then, any more
than you do
now. The U.S. auto makers went into the toilet because it took them --
and the UAW -- twenty years to get the message that they needed to
*build* what America *buys*.

Yes, and between then and now they've made these ridiculous pension deals
with the UAW. That's already dealing a death blow to the US Auto
Manufactures. I just don't like the fact you can't even go into a hardware
store and buy a decent SCREW!!! What is this world coming to???????

Or anything else for that matter.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

J. Clarke July 31st 08 02:36 AM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

evodawg wrote:
evodawg wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Ken"
wrote:
[...]

I don't know what is is with you people that you can't find decent
products. Maybe if you worried more about function and less about
place of manufacture you'd be happier.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Mark & Juanita July 31st 08 04:17 AM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

evodawg wrote:

.... snip
Manufactures. I just don't like the fact you can't even go into a hardware
store and buy a decent SCREW!!! What is this world coming to???????

That's a great straight line for something, but I'm not going there. :-)

Edwin Pawlowski July 31st 08 04:18 AM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

"Ken" wrote in message
. ..
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the electronics,
next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Next for automotive? Have you looked around in a parking lot in the past 10
years?

Our front lot at work was 100% US about 15 years ago, now it has a lonely
Ford, a US built Korean car and three Japanese imports. Back lot is better,
about 60 -40 in favor of US.

spaco July 31st 08 06:00 AM

Plywood from China

Ya know folks, if it's sold in the USA, then it's the guy who is selling
it to you without telling you about its problems who is at fault. Up
line from him is the American importer who also knows what he's pushing
off on us.
It won't get any better until we place the pressure where it can do
some good.
WE ALL have to return EVERY bad product and DEMAND satisfaction.
The enemy is US! Don't be complacent!!!

I bought a couple dozen sheets of that kind of plywood from Menard's (up
here in western Wisconsin) and about half of it delaminated. I used it
up as best I could. I went back to the store a week or two later to buy
something else and simply complained to a manager about it. I told him
I'd never buy plywood there again. He said I should bring the receipt
in and they'd do something for me. I did, and we negotiated a 50%
return of the cost of the stuff. If enough people did that, they'd
loose enough money that they'd HAVE to push for better stuff.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

samson wrote:
I'm never using it again.

S.

J. Clarke July 31st 08 09:13 AM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message
. ..
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the
electronics, next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Next for automotive? Have you looked around in a parking lot in the
past 10 years?

Our front lot at work was 100% US about 15 years ago, now it has a
lonely Ford, a US built Korean car and three Japanese imports. Back
lot is better, about 60 -40 in favor of US.

Whine whine whine whine whine.

Ed, you live in Connecticut. Connecticut has lost many manufacturing
jobs, not because of competition from overseas, but because
manufacturing in Connecticut is almost exclusively for the
military--who are the major employers in manufacturing in Connecticut?
Electric Boat, Pratt & Whitney, Sikorski, Colt, etc. Why did the jobs
go away? Not because the Chinese started making nuclear submarines
and jet engines and helicopters and M16s but because the Congress
decided that we have enough submarines and jet airplanes and
helicopters and M16s. Why aren't there any _consumer_ manufacturing
jobs? Because the idiots in the statehouse have taxed them out of
existence--no company hoping to compete in any consumer products area
is going to set up in Connecticut because some outfit in a state that
is friendly to business instead of sucking off the DOD teat will eat
their lunch.

If you want manufacturing jobs in Connecticut then talk to your idiot
legislators about cutting taxes on manufacturing way, way back, and
provide some incentives for manufacturing to come to Connecticut. Not
gonna happen--Connecticut is a suburb of New York City that doesn't
see manufacturing as being of any real importance compared to stock
trading and lawyering and insurance and whatnot.

If Japan and China fell off the face of the Earth there still wouldn't
be any manufacturing jobs in Connecticut. If you want to work in
manufacturing you picked the wrong state to live in.

The US exports more than 1.4 trillion dollars worth of goods every
year. If there is no manufacturing in the US where do they come from?

Edwin Pawlowski July 31st 08 11:03 AM

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

[...]

In addition to all the valid reasons above, add the cost of utilities. We
have the highest electric rates, fuel oil cost, and natural gas. All are
needed for manufacturing. Where I work we are still under contract at 15.1¢
for electric, but other parts of the country it is about a third of that.

sweet sawdust July 31st 08 01:00 PM

Plywood from China

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

samson wrote:
I'm never using it again.

S.

Big problem is that joe average doesn't know he is getting ripped off, or is
afraid to take stuff back and just accepts the crap he getting. A few years
ago I went to a craft show. Another vendor was selling a toy just like one
I make at 1/3 the price of mine. One customer complained to me about my
price and showed me the one she had just pruchased from the other vendor.
It was already broken, mine has a 30 day warrenty on it, I showed her the
difference in quality. She bought mine but didn't take the broken one back
afraid to offend the other vendor. The key here is education and guts to
refuse to accept inferior products. Untill that happens we will have a
problem of getting more and more of lesser and lesser quality goods

Renata July 31st 08 01:02 PM

Plywood from China

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:20:09 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jul 30, 9:06*am, Renata wrote:

Aside, but vaguely related. *Went to lunch with some buddies from
work. *One had just been to Taiwan. *He and a couple others were
Chinese (but US citizens, etc., etc.). *In Taiwan, he said a lot of
the people are carrying chopsticks with them that they pull out of
their purse at the restaurant. *Why? *'Cause the chopsticks in the
restaurant are from China and may have some nasty chemicals used to
"sterilize" them. *

Non-disposable chopsticks have been carried to restaurants for a far
longer time than China has been a manufacturing player. I bring them
because I don't like the rough texture of the cheap chopsticks. I
don't trust too much coming out of China, but there's also
scaremongering and a bit of urban legend at play.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/chopsticks.asp

Urban legend or not, the guy who was recounting the tale had just
returned from a trip to Taiwan (was Taiwanese himself), and several
other diners also hailed from thereabouts (though they hadn't recently
visited, but do still have family there). BTW, all used the
chopsticks provided by the (USA) restaurant where we dined.

Aside. Had the occasion to use my Porter Cable ROS (barrel grip one)
last night. Sticker caught my eye - "Proudly Made in the USA".

Renata

Renata July 31st 08 01:18 PM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:36:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

evodawg wrote:
evodawg wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Ken"
wrote:
[...]

The reason for worry about the place of manufacture is probably due to
our experience with crap from said place of manufacture.

Personally, I was never one to blindly buy American, only America, no
matter what. Whoever made the best for the money got my business.
That meant no American cars, but some pretty good American tools (just
2 examples). Today, you can't find much not made in China, and I've
become one who looks for the "Made In USA" (or Europe) sticker 'cause
most of the junk from China is just that.

Another example/point. Now-days, even fine china (American and
European) is made in China. As is the cheap stuff. So much for
distinction. Not to mention a little extra lead (hey, if lead crystal
is good, why not leaded dishes?). The question is, is China going to
be the manufacturing center of the entire planet? If so, what are the
rest of us going to do? Do they have the capacity to handle this task
(entire planet)? Of course, if the rest is mostly unemployed
(engineering and design staff goes where the manufacturing resides),
or flipping burgers, maybe they won't have to worry so much about
capacity...

Renata

Frank Boettcher July 31st 08 02:14 PM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:57:54 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Frank Boettcher wrote:

On packaged stuff from China, as a matter of routine, I buy it and
open and inspect right there in the store. Saves gas getting to the
returns desk. learned that the hard way.

Saves even more time if you set it aside the moment you see the magic words
"Made in China" and get something better instead.

A great strategy but sometimes difficult to follow. My last
experience was buying a strainer basket for a sink I was installing.
In the local outlets all offerings were made in china. Took three to
get one where the threads on the basket and tail piece nut actually
matched and would hold.

Frank

Frank Boettcher July 31st 08 02:21 PM

Plywood from China and other crap from China

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:18:38 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the electronics,
next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Next for automotive? Have you looked around in a parking lot in the past 10
years?

Our front lot at work was 100% US about 15 years ago, now it has a lonely
Ford, a US built Korean car and three Japanese imports. Back lot is better,
about 60 -40 in favor of US.

Yes Japanese branded but made in the USA. Brand new Toyota plant 20
miles from my house. 4000 jobs. Going to build trucks and SUV's?
Nope, going to build the Prius.

Two hours south is a Nissan plant. Building Altima's.

Thing is, they can come to this country, build what the market wants,
offer it in high quality and be successful. Why can't the US brands
do that?

Frank

evodawg July 31st 08 03:22 PM

J. Clarke wrote:

I don't know what is is with you people that you can't find decent
products. Maybe if you worried more about function and less about
place of manufacture you'd be happier.

What? If it don't function then its probably from China! Faulty or defective
products coming from China can and is effecting my business. It just ****es
me off that we take this ****. I called McFeelys and all their hardware and
screws are made in China and Taiwan. Guess Jamestown maybe the last place
to buy USA. I kinda wonder if Jamestown is getting stuff from China? Oh
well I tried to find USA made.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Robatoy[_2_] July 31st 08 03:49 PM

wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

I have Toyota and Honda all within an hour's drive from me. Many
government vehicles, yes even the Ministry Of Transport, driving
Camry's.
I also live near Windsor, where the US automotive cancer has claimed
many fatalities over the last several years. Ford, GM and Chrysler are
all having huge problems.

Since I was prodded for an opinion g, I am now 100% sure it was all
related to union issues, one way or another.
We have a plant in our fair city (http://www.ubesarnia.com/) which
employs a lot of happy people. Happy managers, make happy workers,
make good products, BECAUSE THEY 'GET IT'. Their wheels are good
enough for Bentley. When one member of a team acts up and won't carry
his load, he gets dealt with by his peers. If he doesn't like what's
happening to him, LEAVE!

It is all about management and employees understanding each other. The
days of 'mean' bosses in the car industry are pretty much over. They
have proven what that union attitude gets them.... on BOTH sides of
the line.

Mind you, there are many examples of the need for organized labour.
Textiles, coal mining etc.... but the car industry, the rail roads and
many other examples also prove that a union can screw and entire
industry out of existence. The worker 'sticking it to the man' will do
that. The 'man sticking it to the worker' will do that too. Big
management and big unions have been behaving like idiots.

I think it is time that shareholders look into their portfolios and
dump those assholes and start supporting manufacturers who treat their
much needed, skilled workforce with respect, so that they have a
chance of survival. This ain't 1870 no mo'!

Oh... and **** Walmart. THEY are the sunsabitches who are largely
responsible for twisting the consumers' minds into believing that
everything is cheap and all is well. The average consumers have
painted themselves into a corner. Have fun with that, folks. See you
all in in the bread-lines.

THE place to start, is to hassle Chinese products. Tariff the **** out
of them. Turn that 29 dollar DVD player into a 50 dollar DVD player,
and put that 20 bucks into a fund to promote ON shore business
development. Because it isn't FAIR trade if tariffs are applied by
'them' but not 'us'.

I always ask myself what I can do for my customer, and never ask
myself what my customer can do for me.... other than for him/her to be
happy with the service I have provided. Imagine a guy on the assembly
line thinking like that.

Put Americanadian big transport on a new electrified railroad system,
power it with nukes. Develop high speed rail, so we can do with fewer
regional aircraft. In the meantime start drilling for oil and start
working on clean coal. The Chinese are drilling off Cuba, for ****
sakes..do THEY give a **** about Florida's beaches?

Chinese plywood???? Pffffft.. the picture is a little bigger than
that. And yes, stop buying the **** and either one of two things will
happen, they stop sending crap like that or they will make it better
at a higher price, giving our plywood guys a fighting chance to
compete. Tariffs are our friends.

WILL you look at the time??

*outta here*

evodawg July 31st 08 05:28 PM

Plywood from China

spaco wrote:

[...]

samson wrote:
I'm never using it again.

S.

Lot of times it's just the aggravation of having to load up the crap and
drive the distance and lug it into the store and wait in line and get the
fifth degree from the moron behind the register. All because a product
can't be made right or the idiots making it don't give a ****.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Lew Hodgett[_2_] July 31st 08 05:51 PM

Plywood from China

"evodawg" wrote:

Lot of times it's just the aggravation of having to load up the crap
and
drive the distance and lug it into the store and wait in line and
get the
fifth degree from the moron behind the register.

That's why inspection before purchase is prudent.

Of course if this is a raw material purchase at Lowes or H/D, you
already accet the fact you are buying garbage.

Lew

Chris Friesen July 31st 08 06:07 PM

Plywood from China

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Of course if this is a raw material purchase at Lowes or H/D, you
already accet the fact you are buying garbage.

There are a couple exceptions to this. I know of at least one person
who buys S2S secondary wood there because he can pick through the whole
stack and only take *perfect* boards.

Chris

Rod & Betty Jo July 31st 08 06:26 PM

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Yes Japanese branded but made in the USA. Brand new Toyota plant 20
miles from my house. 4000 jobs. Going to build trucks and SUV's?
Nope, going to build the Prius.

Two hours south is a Nissan plant. Building Altima's.

Thing is, they can come to this country, build what the market wants,
offer it in high quality and be successful. Why can't the US brands
do that?

Frank

I've read that while foreign U.S. based auto manufacturing wages are only a
few dollars per hour cheaper that in fact with retirement, medical costs,
benefits etc. that the difference is $70+ U.S. Vs $45 foreign owned. If
indeed true such a margin creates very significant cost difference issues.

Incidenty I've heard on a web woodworking forum that Delta was moving their
table saw manufacturing back to the U.S.....is it true? Rod

Bob Martin July 31st 08 07:35 PM

in 73687 20080731 131814 Renata wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:36:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

evodawg wrote:
evodawg wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Ken"
wrote:
[...]

My IBM T41 ThinkPad was made in China - it's beautifully engineered.
(Actually made by Lenovo but at that time was still allowed to put IBM badge on it.)

Lew Hodgett[_2_] July 31st 08 07:37 PM

"evodawg" wrote:

It just ****es
me off that we take this ****. I called McFeelys and all their
hardware and
screws are made in China and Taiwan. Guess Jamestown maybe the last
place
to buy USA. I kinda wonder if Jamestown is getting stuff from China?
Oh
well I tried to find USA made.

There is no fastener industry left in the USA, it is all off shore.

As far as Jamestown is concerned, a major portion of their business is
stainless where India is a major supplier.

Lew

evodawg July 31st 08 07:53 PM

Bob Martin wrote:

My IBM T41 ThinkPad was made in China - it's beautifully engineered.
(Actually made by Lenovo but at that time was still allowed to put IBM
badge on it.)

I wonder what else they put in it? Like some kind of spyware chip? I wonder
where the Defense Dept. gets their puters? And why on earth are they still
using WindBlows. What a bunch of Pinheads.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Lew Hodgett[_2_] July 31st 08 07:54 PM

"Robatoy" wrote:

It is all about management and employees understanding each other.
The

days of 'mean' bosses in the car industry are pretty much over. They
have proven what that union attitude gets them.... on BOTH sides of
the line.

Find a copy of James F Lincoln's book, Incentive Management, and read
it.

Yes, the Lincoln Electric, James F Lincoln.

Written in the 30's, some of the references are a little stale, but
overall, still very much on the mark.

Firmly believed that any cost improvements should be shared equally,
1/3 each to customer, company, and worker which made Lincoln an
interesting place to work.

Lew