RKON

Default Scam Alert on Woodstrokes & Woodcrafts Magazine offer

SWMBO was doing the bills this morning and she was going through my
woodworking magazine renewals and showed me a renewal order for Woodstrokes
and Woodcrafts magazine which looked like an invoice. I had never heard of
the magazine and checked it out on the web and verified it as a legitimate
publication. Their subscription rate is 2 years $29 and the scam offer was
$59 for 2 years.

The firm was called Lake Shore Publishers Service of White City Oregon.
Further investigation has found that they are a slimy operation that has hit
other magazines ( Popular Woodworking).

Check http://edumacation.com/LakeShorePublishers for more info.

Happy New Year

Rich

Hitch

RKON wrote:

SWMBO was doing the bills this morning and she was going through my
woodworking magazine renewals and showed me a renewal order for Woodstrokes
and Woodcrafts magazine which looked like an invoice. I had never heard of
the magazine and checked it out on the web and verified it as a legitimate
publication. Their subscription rate is 2 years $29 and the scam offer was
$59 for 2 years.

The firm was called Lake Shore Publishers Service of White City Oregon.
Further investigation has found that they are a slimy operation that has hit
other magazines ( Popular Woodworking).

Check http://edumacation.com/LakeShorePublishers for more info.

Happy New Year

Rich

I get many, many magazine "renewal" offers which look just like
invoices. They are almost always for magazines I don't get (and
wouldnt'). You gotta read those bills before you pay them!

--
Hitch

-Remove the NOSPAM from my address and you've got SPAM!-

jo4hn

I have gotten these things on several of the mags to which I subscribe,
including, AWW and Wood. Almost got me the first time. The charge a
premium, forward part to the magazine, and keep the rest. I guess that
is to keep them out of the klink. Maybe.
mahalo,
jo4hn

RKON wrote:

SWMBO was doing the bills this morning and she was going through my
woodworking magazine renewals and showed me a renewal order for Woodstrokes

[snip]

RKON

They also will submit 2 years on 3 year renewals and keep the profit. They
always claim Oooops. Neither the publisher or the subscriber are aware of
the scam. Real scum they are. You know what they say....
What goes around Comes around. However, it does not seems like it comes
around too quickly.

Rich

link.net...

RKON wrote:

SWMBO was doing the bills this morning and she was going through my
woodworking magazine renewals and showed me a renewal order for

Woodstrokes
[snip]

Robert Bonomi

'Fake invoices' are *illegal*. Under "39 USC 3001 (d) 1"

Report it to the U.S. Postal Inspectors. There's a check-box on the
standard "mail fraud" reporting form ( PS form 8165 -- "why, yes, I
_do_ happen to have one of those forms in front of me" *grin* -- and
it's available on-line, at http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps8165.pdf)

What to do with the completed form is on the form itself. Note: _mailing_
it does *not* require postage.

These folks can have all their incoming mail intercepted, and 'returned
to sender', *AND* their outgoing mail "file 13'd", instead of being
delivered.

In article KxhJb.2649$zf.2633@okepread05,
RKON wrote:
SWMBO was doing the bills this morning and she was going through my
woodworking magazine renewals and showed me a renewal order for Woodstrokes
and Woodcrafts magazine which looked like an invoice. I had never heard of
the magazine and checked it out on the web and verified it as a legitimate
publication. Their subscription rate is 2 years $29 and the scam offer was
$59 for 2 years.

The firm was called Lake Shore Publishers Service of White City Oregon.
Further investigation has found that they are a slimy operation that has hit
other magazines ( Popular Woodworking).

Check http://edumacation.com/LakeShorePublishers for more info.

Happy New Year

Rich

Mark Jerde

Robert Bonomi wrote:
'Fake invoices' are *illegal*. Under "39 USC 3001 (d) 1"

Report it to the U.S. Postal Inspectors. There's a check-box on the
standard "mail fraud" reporting form ( PS form 8165 -- "why, yes, I
_do_ happen to have one of those forms in front of me" *grin* -- and
it's available on-line, at
http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps8165.pdf)

What to do with the completed form is on the form itself. Note:
_mailing_ it does *not* require postage.

These folks can have all their incoming mail intercepted, and
'returned
to sender', *AND* their outgoing mail "file 13'd", instead of being
delivered.

Thanks. Your reply is filed for future use.

-- Mark

George

This is similar to the scam of sending small businesses invoices for stuff
they never ordered and never received. They depend on the amount being
small enough so that people/companies just pay them. I'd STRONGLY suggest
NOT throwing out the "invoice" but filing a formal complaint with the
Attorney General in your state + the Attorney General in the state of
Oregon. Put scammers where they belong...in prison.

"RKON" wrote in message
SWMBO was doing the bills this morning and she was going through my
woodworking magazine renewals and showed me a renewal order for

Woodstrokes
and Woodcrafts magazine which looked like an invoice. I had never heard of
the magazine and checked it out on the web and verified it as a legitimate
publication. Their subscription rate is 2 years $29 and the scam offer was
$59 for 2 years.

The firm was called Lake Shore Publishers Service of White City Oregon.
Further investigation has found that they are a slimy operation that has

hit
other magazines ( Popular Woodworking).

Check http://edumacation.com/LakeShorePublishers for more info.

Happy New Year

Rich

George

I've filed a three of them myself...all with good endings (from MY viewpoint
g). The postal service DOES take this very seriously, and in my
experience, is great.

ervers.com...

RKON wrote:
[...]

JarHead

Be on the lookout for the same scam regarding FWW! i received the "invoice"
and emailed FWW customer service. They told me that this was a repeat
offender and they were trying to take legal action to stop it. Sounds like
the problem is only getting worse.
LN