Nail Bender

Default Drawer Face Calculations

Hello Fellow Woodworkers and Nail-benders!

Some time ago, someone had posted an Excel spreadsheet with formulas
pre-loaded for calculating chest of drawer front heights. Useful for having
that nice look of shallow drawers on top and the drawers gradually getting
deeper as the went down.

Well, it's happened to us all, I'm sure, but the hard drive gave up the
ghost and that spreadsheet as well as a whole lot more was lost. I'm hoping
someone would be so kind to either point me in the right direction to find
this again, or at least the formulas used to make the calculations.

Thanx in advance,

Lynn

Dan Parrell

Don't despair Lynn,
same thing happened to me see APBW for the post addressed to me.There are
lots of valuable sites on a zip file thanks to Bob Sosenko plus more below
in my help post thanks Dave Balderstone
good luck
Dan P
"Nail Bender" wrote in message
news:63d18$3ff48d16$d0ff2173$27754@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Hello Fellow Woodworkers and Nail-benders!

Some time ago, someone had posted an Excel spreadsheet with formulas
pre-loaded for calculating chest of drawer front heights. Useful for

having
that nice look of shallow drawers on top and the drawers gradually getting
deeper as the went down.

Well, it's happened to us all, I'm sure, but the hard drive gave up the
ghost and that spreadsheet as well as a whole lot more was lost. I'm

hoping
someone would be so kind to either point me in the right direction to find
this again, or at least the formulas used to make the calculations.

Thanx in advance,

Lynn

Swingman

That would be Charlie Lieb, IIRC ... I still have a copy of a url:

http://www.wood-workers.com/users/charlieb/!Design/!GraduatedDrawers/GraduatedDrawers1.html

Last time I checked it was still there, or a link to it, in any event.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Nail Bender" wrote in message
Hello Fellow Woodworkers and Nail-benders!

Some time ago, someone had posted an Excel spreadsheet with formulas
pre-loaded for calculating chest of drawer front heights. Useful for

having
that nice look of shallow drawers on top and the drawers gradually getting
deeper as the went down.

Well, it's happened to us all, I'm sure, but the hard drive gave up the
ghost and that spreadsheet as well as a whole lot more was lost. I'm

hoping
someone would be so kind to either point me in the right direction to find
this again, or at least the formulas used to make the calculations.

Mike Hide

Let the depth of the top drawer be "A" , let the drawer divider depth be
"b".

Say the chest has 4 drawers and the total drawer opening is "C".

top drawer depth = A

Second drawer depth = A+b

third drawer depth = [A+b]+b =A+2b

Forth drawer depth = [A+2b] +b = A+3b.

So total depth of opening = top drawer depth + divider+ second drawer
depth+ divider+ third drawer +divider.

Total depth of opening = A + [A + b] + [A + b + b] + [A+2b + b] + 3b

b is usually 7/8" say 1," so lets say the opening is 30" then 4A +9b =
30", 4A = 30" -9" = 21"

4A = 21" A= 5 1/4"

--

"Nail Bender" wrote in message
news:63d18$3ff48d16$d0ff2173$27754@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Hello Fellow Woodworkers and Nail-benders!

Some time ago, someone had posted an Excel spreadsheet with formulas
pre-loaded for calculating chest of drawer front heights. Useful for

having
that nice look of shallow drawers on top and the drawers gradually getting
deeper as the went down.

Well, it's happened to us all, I'm sure, but the hard drive gave up the
ghost and that spreadsheet as well as a whole lot more was lost. I'm

hoping
someone would be so kind to either point me in the right direction to find
this again, or at least the formulas used to make the calculations.

Thanx in advance,

Lynn

charlie b

"Nail Bender" wrote in message
Hello Fellow Woodworkers and Nail-benders!

Some time ago, someone had posted an Excel spreadsheet with formulas
pre-loaded for calculating chest of drawer front heights. Useful for

having
that nice look of shallow drawers on top and the drawers gradually getting
deeper as the went down.

Well, it's happened to us all, I'm sure, but the hard drive gave up the
ghost and that spreadsheet as well as a whole lot more was lost. I'm

hoping
someone would be so kind to either point me in the right direction to find
this again, or at least the formulas used to make the calculations.

Thanx in advance,

Lynn

I think I did the spreadsheet you're looking for. Tried e-mailing
you
the Excel spreadsheet but your address bounced. E-mail me the
return address you want to use and I'll send you the spreadsheet.

Replace the AT and DOT with @ and . in my address.

Here's the web page I put together on which the spreadsheet is based
(all one line so watch the line wrap)

www.wood-workers.com/users/charlieb/!Design/!GraduatedDrawers/GraduatedDrawers1.html

I tried to link the spreadsheet from this page but so far all
attempts
to do so successfuly have failed miserably. Anyone who's got the
savy
and willing to teach me the trick?

charlie b
jev

I downloaded the spreadsheet and it worked fine - I didn't try to
verify calc's but it seems to work fine.. You have to download it and
then open in excel. Don't open it directly or it will open in the
browser.

Also, take a look at the current issue of FWW at an article on
furniture design. It discusses proportions for things like drawer
sets using the 'golden mean' as basis for calculation.

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:03:18 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

"Nail Bender" wrote in message

..
[...]

charlie b

jev wrote:

I downloaded the spreadsheet and it worked fine - I didn't try to
verify calc's but it seems to work fine.. You have to download it and
then open in excel. Don't open it directly or it will open in the
browser.

Also, take a look at the current issue of FWW at an article on
furniture design. It discusses proportions for things like drawer
sets using the 'golden mean' as basis for calculation.

I've had the pleasure of attending several classes of Graham
Blackburn's,
the author of the article referred to by jev. Very interesting guy
with a lot of interesting and useful information. The fact that he
does all the drawings and illustrations in his books is pretty
impressive too.

About the spreadsheet - where it specifies the user's input as
being in RED, it should be GREEN.

Did the illustrations come through in the spreadsheet? Seeing
the derivation of the equations lets you understand what's
behind the curtain.

charlie b

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:03:18 -0800, charlie b
brought forth from the murky depths:

"Nail Bender" wrote in message

-snip-
www.wood-workers.com/users/charlieb/!Design/!GraduatedDrawers/GraduatedDrawers1.html

I tried to link the spreadsheet from this page but so far all
attempts
to do so successfuly have failed miserably. Anyone who's got the
savy
and willing to teach me the trick?

Some hosts have to be tweaked to show those file.
(I'm not yet that savvy with Apache servers.)
Two things you can do to help the page, though, are

1) show the GIF in full size, so it's readable. Change
src="GraduatedDrawersDH1.gif" width="680" height="500" to
src="GraduatedDrawersDH1.gif" width="707" height="596"

2) Have people using Nutscrape (and some other browsers)
right-click the link to the XLS and choose "Save Link
Target As", then pick a spot on their hard drive to save
it. The link works in IE6, though.

Addendum: After opening the spreadsheet and viewing it,
then closing it, Netscape brings up the Save dialog box.
Perhaps have people open Excel, then try the link.

OBWW: I spent 5 hours cleaning/sorting/hanging tools in my
shop today. Another few weeks of this and I'll be up and
running into sawdust.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications