Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Epoxy to Glue ebony Handle to knife blank

I am making a handle for a knife kit that was given to me. I am making
the handle out of ebony and birdseye maple. I really don't want to use
rivets. Will epoxy make a good metal to wood bond? Any other non rivet
suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 7, 1:42*pm, ROY! wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:23:09 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

On Jul 6, 8:48 pm, Tvfarmer wrote:
I am making a handle for a knife kit that was given to me. I am making
the handle out of ebony and birdseye maple. I really don't want to use
rivets. Will epoxy make a good metal to wood bond? Any other non rivet
suggestions?

T-88 by system 3

I'll second that and add that you may want to wipe down the ebony with
acetone prior to applying the epoxy and you should make certain that
you have coated well with epoxy all the mating surfaces.

Thanks guys i will have to order some online (woodcraft has it I see)
I don't know who locally will carry that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Jul 6, 8:48 pm, Tvfarmer wrote:

I am making a handle for a knife kit that was given to me. I am making
the handle out of ebony and birdseye maple. I really don't want to use
rivets. Will epoxy make a good metal to wood bond? Any other non rivet
suggestions?

T-88 by system 3

I'll second that and add that you may want to wipe down the ebony with
acetone prior to applying the epoxy and you should make certain that
you have coated well with epoxy all the mating surfaces.

Thanks guys i will have to order some online (woodcraft has it I see)
I don't know who locally will carry that.

Quite often, Ace Hardware...

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tvfarmer wrote:
I am making a handle for a knife kit that was given to me. I am making
the handle out of ebony and birdseye maple. I really don't want to use
rivets. Will epoxy make a good metal to wood bond? Any other non rivet
suggestions?

I tried epoxying knife scales to a marking knife I made a few years ago.
As predicted by Andy Dingley they fell off within a year. I'd suggest
using the rivets along with the epoxy.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 8:00*am, Nova wrote:
Tvfarmer wrote:
I am making a handle for a knife kit that was given to me. I am making
the handle out of ebony and birdseye maple. I really don't want to use
rivets. Will epoxy make a good metal to wood bond? Any other non rivet
suggestions?

Hi you may want to drill shallow holes in the scales and also if you
can on the blade so that the epoxy will grip better. At least scratch
the surface of the blade. you can also comsider placing short pins
that are not exposed on the surface.