Doug Winterburn

Default ^H^H^H^H

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:49:28 -0700, Bridger wrote:

so this gets used from time to time... the meaning seems clear enough,
sort of a mental stutter, but I wonder how it came to be used and
where it came from......
^H^H^H^H
anybody know?
Bridger

Ctrl-H or ^H is the ascii erase (or is it backspace) character. Commonly
used in words like gar^H^H^Hshop.

-Doug
Doug Winterburn

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:45:42 +0000, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Ctrl-H or ^H is the ascii erase (or is it backspace) character. Commonly
used in words like gar^H^H^Hshop.

....or "the blonde has big ti^Heeth"

-Doug

jo4hn

Control Key and H key = backspace/delete key. In the old days (jeez
here it comes...) it would print this way on hardcopy display devices
that did not backspace and clear the characters being deleted.
Computers are a passing fad and can be ignored.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Bridger wrote:

so this gets used from time to time... the meaning seems clear enough,
sort of a mental stutter, but I wonder how it came to be used and
where it came from......
^H^H^H^H
anybody know?
Bridger

Gordon Airport

Also look out for ^W, which in unixy environments often deletes the
entire previous word rather than just one character.

Greg G.

Bridger said:

so this gets used from time to time... the meaning seems clear enough,
sort of a mental stutter, but I wonder how it came to be used and
where it came from......
^H^H^H^H
anybody know?
Bridger

An old CMP/MS-DOS WordStar convention, based on even older CRT teminal
ASCII backspace/delete characters.

Greg G.
Silvan

Bridger wrote:

so this gets used from time to time... the meaning seems clear enough,
sort of a mental stutter, but I wonder how it came to be used and
where it came from......

Try it... Lots of editors still respond to this even today. Same thing as
backspace.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Robin Lee

(whisper)

....i still use wordstar sometimes....DOS based...

Not sure of the version - but the com file is dated 1985, overlays dated
1983.

^KQ

hex

Silvan wrote in message ...
Bridger wrote:

so this gets used from time to time... the meaning seems clear enough,
sort of a mental stutter, but I wonder how it came to be used and
where it came from......

Try it... Lots of editors still respond to this even today. Same thing as
backspace.

I seem to recall that M$ over-rode that convention in their fu^Hine
Word product line and it now opens a dialog to place a hyper-link. I
could be wrong, it may be ^k which is commonly "kill to end of line".
All I know is that when trying to use Wei^H^Hord I end up having to
close that stupid dialog whenever typing speeds up and keystrokes
become more or less automatic.

hex
-30-
Greg G.

Robin Lee said:

(whisper)

...i still use wordstar sometimes....DOS based...

Not sure of the version - but the com file is dated 1985, overlays dated
1983.

^KQ

I still have copies of it archived on CD somewhere...
WordStar v1, v2, v3, v4 and v4.5, I believe.
Never cared for DOS Word, but it seems to have taken over the Windoze
world. Took forever to 'forget' the typing conventions of WS.
Then some crafty programmers editor known as QEdit retaught my fingers
their errant ways. Want a copy of CPM? Corona DOS v1.05? g

Greg G.

Silvan

Greg G. wrote:

Then some crafty programmers editor known as QEdit retaught my fingers

Loved that thing...

Took me forever to learn vim when I switched to Linux. No WS-style editors
that suited me. Vim is better though.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Greg G.

Silvan said:

Greg G. wrote:

Then some crafty programmers editor known as QEdit retaught my fingers

Loved that thing...

Yes, it was fast, compact (63k I think), fully customizable (it
altered the executable with your mods), and would fit on a 5 1/4 low
density floppy WITH bootable MS-DOS. I used it for well over 10
years. The programmer is/was local, and lived in Marietta, GA -
Semware.

Took me forever to learn vim when I switched to Linux. No WS-style editors
that suited me. Vim is better though.

I believe they had a version of that on the System 34/36 and AS-400s
at IBM, for whom I worked briefly in the late 80's - right before the
big 'downsize'. Last in, first out. g

I wouldn't even want to count the hours I have spent over the years
keeping up with various programming languages and operating systems -
only to have them disappear almost overnight.. I have so much
obsolete crap in my head, there is no room for more.

I've gotten to the point I hate technology - and am sorry I ever spent
a minute learning anything about it - I would have done far better,
career wise, to have stuck with working on Mercedes'. :-|

Oops... Off topic rant... g

Greg G.
Mark & Juanita

In article , Greg G. says...
Silvan said:

.... snip

I've gotten to the point I hate technology - and am sorry I ever spent
a minute learning anything about it - I would have done far better,
career wise, to have stuck with working on Mercedes'. :-|

Why? Was she rich?

Oops... Off topic rant... g

Greg G.

Greg G.

Mark & Juanita said:

In article , Greg G. says...

I've gotten to the point I hate technology - and am sorry I ever spent
a minute learning anything about it - I would have done far better,
career wise, to have stuck with working on Mercedes'. :-|

Why? Was she rich?

LOL, No such luck, just cars. But that brings up a whole 'nuther
story... Sex, treachery, deceit, lawyers, ill gotten wealth, arson...

Greg G.
CW

No technology, no cars. You wouldn't have to worry about it.