Matt

Default Which plate Joiner?

Looking to purchase a plate joiner. Dewalt and Porter Cable are the two
that I am looking into. Having never used one, which of the two would
you reccomend and why? I will use it for projects around the house
(tables, board glue ups, face frames, etc). Thanks.

Matt

Swingman

I now own a PC 557, type3. The selling point over the DeWalt for me was the
extra FF blade, which I use primarily on smaller miter joints in lieu of
splines.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Matt" wrote in message
Looking to purchase a plate joiner. Dewalt and Porter Cable are the two
that I am looking into. Having never used one, which of the two would
you reccomend and why? I will use it for projects around the house
(tables, board glue ups, face frames, etc). Thanks.

Matt

Matt

Yes, that feature also is swaying me to the PC. The fence also has more
adjustment than the Dewalt. The extra $50 seams worth it in the long run.

Matt

Swingman wrote:
I now own a PC 557, type3. The selling point over the DeWalt for me was the
extra FF blade, which I use primarily on smaller miter joints in lieu of
splines.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:46:21 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

I now own a PC 557, type3. The selling point over the DeWalt for me was the
extra FF blade, which I use primarily on smaller miter joints in lieu of
splines.

I have the DeWalt, in hindsight, I should have bought the PC.

If you know you'll NEVER use FF biscuits, the DeWalt does a perfectly
fine job.

Barry

Mike G

I'd recommend the PC. Not because I have anything against the DeWalt or have
heard anything against it but because I only need one and the Delta is the
one I bought.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Matt" wrote in message
Looking to purchase a plate joiner. Dewalt and Porter Cable are the two
that I am looking into. Having never used one, which of the two would
you reccomend and why? I will use it for projects around the house
(tables, board glue ups, face frames, etc). Thanks.

Matt

Peter in Rosburg

I had a Freud. I was going to replace it with the Makita because I have had
good luck with Makita tools. At the last minute I bought the PC type 3
because of the FF biscuits. Make sure you get the type 3 if you buy one.
The PC works great. One surprise, it's exactly as noisy as the Freud.

Regards

"Matt" wrote in message
Looking to purchase a plate joiner. Dewalt and Porter Cable are the two
that I am looking into. Having never used one, which of the two would
you reccomend and why? I will use it for projects around the house
(tables, board glue ups, face frames, etc). Thanks.

Matt

Bob G

I honestly have never found a great need for a plate or biscuit joiner BUT
last winter I did buy a PC ... and during that year I have used it ONCE...
and it did work !
BUT looking back over the year I made a bad buy...

Projects built during the year were an entertainment center a pair of end
tables, and a coffee table all for my daughters home.. Plenty of chances to
use the thing BUT I honestly could have made out better by using the money
for beer...

Just my opinion...
Bob Griffiths

Bridger

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:05:01 -0800, "Peter in Rosburg"
wrote:

I had a Freud. I was going to replace it with the Makita because I have had
good luck with Makita tools. At the last minute I bought the PC type 3
because of the FF biscuits. Make sure you get the type 3 if you buy one.
The PC works great. One surprise, it's exactly as noisy as the Freud.

does the PC have provisions for dust collection?
Bridger
J.B. Bobbitt

I faced the very same choice and went w/ the PC 557. I'm totally satisfied
with it, but can't compare it to the DeWalt only because I've never used a
DeWalt.

It's a darn good tool, I'd say.

-JBB

"Matt" wrote in message
Looking to purchase a plate joiner. Dewalt and Porter Cable are the two
that I am looking into. Having never used one, which of the two would
you reccomend and why? I will use it for projects around the house
(tables, board glue ups, face frames, etc). Thanks.

Matt

Nova

Bridger wrote:

does the PC have provisions for dust collection?
Bridger

It has a 1" diameter pickup to connect either the dust bag or a DC.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Peter in Rosburg

The PC has a 1" outlet for a dust collecting bag. Bag included.

I bought a 1" x 2 1/2" adapter and duct tape the 1" end to the PC and hook
my shop vac to the other end.

I do this when I have about 300 slots to make. No dust. Between the PC and
the shop vac I wear ear protection.

Regards

wrote:

I had a Freud. I was going to replace it with the Makita because I have

had
good luck with Makita tools. At the last minute I bought the PC type 3
because of the FF biscuits. Make sure you get the type 3 if you buy one.
The PC works great. One surprise, it's exactly as noisy as the Freud.

does the PC have provisions for dust collection?
Bridger

Swingman

I am not in the shop at the moment, but it will say Type 3 on the serial
number plate, IIRC ... make sure that it does!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Matt" wrote in message
How do I know if I am buying a type 3? is there some code on the

packaging?

I decided to pick up the PC, maybe today if time permits. Thanks for all
the comments!

Swingman

Why? ... as previously discussed, the PC has an extra FF blade, which makes
it a more versatile tool for some of us.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Ace" wrote in message
Check out the Makita.

"Matt" wrote in message
How do I know if I am buying a type 3? is there some code on the

packaging?

I decided to pick up the PC, maybe today if time permits. Thanks for

all
the comments!

How do I know if I am buying a type 3? is there some code on the packaging?

Yes, it says it in a label in the packaging. If you don't see the
label, don't buy it.
Greg G.

Poseidon said:

I suppose that rules out online shopping???

The Type 3 has been out for a couple years. Chances of getting an old
one are slim, but possible. It clearly says Type 3 on the serial
number/barcode sticker on the box.

Greg G.

rob

Matt,

I bought the DeWalt. . .I considered the ff capability but felt I
could live without it.

The primary reason I liked the DeWalt was ergonomic (sic?)Their
machine just felt more comfortable and balanced to me. After about 50
slots on a project balance and comfort become even more critical.

Good Luck,

Rob
Matt

I picked up a type 3 PC yesterday at HD. They had the $30 rebate
(assuming a HD gift card) which ended yesterday. Looks like a great
tool, love the smell of a new tool when the case is opened. Going to do
some practice cuts today to get a feel for the fence and adjustments.
Thanks for the help everyone!!!!

Matt

"Matt" wrote in message

Looking to purchase a plate joiner. Dewalt and Porter Cable are the two
that I am looking into. Having never used one, which of the two would
you reccomend and why? I will use it for projects around the house
(tables, board glue ups, face frames, etc). Thanks.

Matt

Nova

Matt wrote:

I picked up a type 3 PC yesterday at HD. They had the $30 rebate
(assuming a HD gift card) which ended yesterday. Looks like a great
tool, love the smell of a new tool when the case is opened. Going to do
some practice cuts today to get a feel for the fence and adjustments.
Thanks for the help everyone!!!!

I just send in a $30 cash rebate offered by Porter Cable for the 557 I received
as a Christmas present from my wife (yes, she get the $30). I got the rebate
form off the Porter Cable web site. The jointer had to be purchased between
11/1/2003 and 12/31/2003. The envelope must be postmarked before 1/7/2004.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Greg G.

Nova said:

I just send in a $30 cash rebate offered by Porter Cable for the 557 I received
as a Christmas present from my wife (yes, she get the $30). I got the rebate
form off the Porter Cable web site. The jointer had to be purchased between
11/1/2003 and 12/31/2003. The envelope must be postmarked before 1/7/2004.

I sent mine in Tuesday, but there is one thing I feel uncomfortable
with about the PC rebate - they want the ORIGINAL receipt.
I usually hang onto receipts until the tool turns into dust... g

Greg G.
Nova

Greg, G. wrote:

I sent mine in Tuesday, but there is one thing I feel uncomfortable
with about the PC rebate - they want the ORIGINAL receipt.
I usually hang onto receipts until the tool turns into dust... g

I made a copy of the receipt for my records before sending in the original. I
staple the receipt inside the manual and then keep the manual in a filing cabinet.

One of these days I should go through that file and, at least, remove the manuals
for the tools that bit the dust over 10 years ago.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Tom M.

Greg G. wrote in message . ..
Poseidon said:

I suppose that rules out online shopping???

The Type 3 has been out for a couple years. Chances of getting an old
one are slim, but possible. It clearly says Type 3 on the serial
number/barcode sticker on the box.

I just looked at my copy of the upc code that I sent in for my rebate,
and it says it's a type 2. What exactly is the difference? I suppose
there's not much I can do about it at this point, since I already
mailed in the receipt and upc, and now only have a copy.

Tom
Swingman

"Tom M." wrote in message
I just looked at my copy of the upc code that I sent in for my rebate,
and it says it's a type 2. What exactly is the difference? I suppose
there's not much I can do about it at this point, since I already
mailed in the receipt and upc, and now only have a copy.

Some of the type 2's require a shim for the fence to be flush with the base
when doing 0 degree cuts:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe...ncc_frame.html

Apparently not all type 2's have this problem so you have to measure ... the
above should give you a better idea.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

Tom M.

"Swingman" wrote in message ...
Some of the type 2's require a shim for the fence to be flush with the base
when doing 0 degree cuts:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe...ncc_frame.html

Apparently not all type 2's have this problem so you have to measure ... the
above should give you a better idea.

Swingman, thanks for the information. I raised up the fence and put a
straightedge on it, and there was a slight gap on the slot face where
the anti-skid piece is, so I'm assuming I need the shim. I may try
taking it back to HD and talk to the manager about exchanging it, but
I doubt I will get anywhere without the original receipt and
upc...just copies. If that fails I'll order the shim kit.

Do you have any idea when Porter Cable first came out with the "Type
3"? My only arguement would be that HD sold me an old tool.

Thanks again!
Tom
Swingman

"Tom M." wrote in message

Do you have any idea when Porter Cable first came out with the "Type
3"? My only arguement would be that HD sold me an old tool.

IIRC, sometime last January or February (03), so it's been about a year now.

Print out the article on Owen's page (I'd ask his permission first) and take
it with you when you go. Tell them that it is imperative for _your
particular use_ that the tool be a type 3 and you thought that what was you
were getting since Porter Cable fixed the problem a year ago.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

The PC 557 has play in the sliding mechanism, you can feel it in a new
tool. It is aggravated by the placement of the handle which PC
suggests is a good feature. The sloppy base cause the slot to be
bigger causing the biscuits to fit loosely which is not what you are
trying to achieve. A good biscuit joiner should cut a slot where the
biscuits need to be tapped in with a mallet. The FF slots if you need
them can be cut more accurately on a router table with a 5/32 3 wing
cutter. Lamello or Makita if you want to go cheap.

Gene

Charlie Self

eugenec writes:

The sloppy base cause the slot to be
bigger causing the biscuits to fit loosely which is not what you are
trying to achieve. A good biscuit joiner should cut a slot where the
biscuits need to be tapped in with a mallet. The FF slots if you need
them can be cut more accurately on a router table with a 5/32 3 wing
cutter. Lamello or Makita if you want to go cheap.

My Lamello, Classic C-2, will not cut FF slots. And if you think that's going
cheap, good luck to you. But, then, you really don't want biscuit slots so
tight you have to use a mallet to insert the biscuits. Your thumb should be
enough. The biscuits, unless improperly stored, will swell a bit from the glue,
and if they're too tight, you'll get print-through on thinner (3/4" and down)
stock.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Swingman

Not to say that you are wrong for your particular use of the technology, but
my take on the subject is different ... and I am not a big fan of biscuit
joinery in furniture, but I do like to match the joinery to the task.

IMO, biscuit joinery is NOT a precision operation at its highest level, even
with the Lamello, which I've tried. The 557 is much more than adequate for
the job, and the FF blade is quicker to set up than a slot cutter on a
router table, just as accurate, and a damn sight faster ... done it both
ways too many times to count, and I routinely use a slot cutter to cut
spline slots. And a biscuit that has to be tapped in with a mallet is much
too tight, IME.

Just glued up a small (12" x 28" x 1 1/4") table top this afternoon, used
#20 biscuits and the 557. The biscuits, with glue on them, were snug, but
could be pushed in by hand with the same resistance you feel on a well cut
mortise and tenon joint.

Just my experience/tuppence ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

wrote in message
The PC 557 has play in the sliding mechanism, you can feel it in a new
tool. It is aggravated by the placement of the handle which PC
suggests is a good feature. The sloppy base cause the slot to be
bigger causing the biscuits to fit loosely which is not what you are
trying to achieve. A good biscuit joiner should cut a slot where the
biscuits need to be tapped in with a mallet. The FF slots if you need
them can be cut more accurately on a router table with a 5/32 3 wing
cutter. Lamello or Makita if you want to go cheap.

Gene

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

IIRC, sometime last January or February (03), so it's been about a year now.

Print out the article on Owen's page (I'd ask his permission first) and take
it with you when you go. Tell them that it is imperative for _your
particular use_ that the tool be a type 3 and you thought that what was you
were getting since Porter Cable fixed the problem a year ago.

It's OK with me. The change seems to first appear in the Fall of '02
with the last of the Type 2 run. Meaning that some late Type 2's don't
exhibit the 1/16" setback of the saw slot from the fence face. Best to
check the tool before deciding it's got the setback problem.

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message ...
eugenec writes:

[...]

You need to go over my message again. I said if you need FF, use a
5/32 3 wing slot cutter. I said buy Lamello and if you want to go
cheap make it a Makita is that clear? I didn't say Lamello was cheap
or cut FF slots, I know what they cost better than you do. Everbody on
this WW NG knows that biscuits swell. A lite tap with a mallet is
about the same as a thumb push, agreed. No matter how you say it
around there is always someone like you that will twist your words
around to try and make themselves look good. Nothing real informative,
just putting people down in general. fun huh?
Charlie Self

eugenec states:

I didn't say Lamello was cheap
or cut FF slots, I know what they cost better than you do.

You did list Lamello with "going cheap." I'm not exactly sure you "know better
than I do" what the Lamello costs, but what the hell. Maybe. Seems to me that
everyone who has looked the price up recently has a pretty fair idea of its
cost.

Everbody on
this WW NG knows that biscuits swell.

You think so? Don't bet on it.

A lite tap with a mallet is
about the same as a thumb push, agreed.

Not for me it isn't. I don't know of anyone who uses a mallet to do what a push
with the thumb will be.

No matter how you say it
around there is always someone like you that will twist your words
around to try and make themselves look good. Nothing real informative,
just putting people down in general. fun huh?

You do an excellent job of putting yourself down. No help needed.

Charlie Self
"I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." Zsa
Zsa Gabor

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Jay Pique

eugenec writes:

[...]

I use only cat's head biscuits for my end-grain butt joints.

JP
***********************
And use rice glue.

#20 biscuits and the 557. The biscuits, with glue on them, were snug, but
could be pushed in by hand with the same resistance you feel on a well cut
mortise and tenon joint.

Just my experience/tuppence ...

On your last statement above about gluing up a 12" X 28" tabletop, did
you get acceptable alignment? you know that is one of the main
advantages of biscuits.
I am inclined to agree with you mostly about plate joiners, I have
tried them all and they will all do the job for sure to one degree or
another. At least I could get by with any of them. After trying them
all except Lamello which is just too much money, I prefer the Makita.
It has a number of significant advantages -FOR ME- over any of the
others and I can demonstrate the weak points in all of them. But, like
you say, it isn't exactly a science, sinking a slot. But, working with
a Makita is safer and more accurate. As far as biscuit fit goes, it is
a matter of preference and can be adjusted.
The biscuit joiner threads never seem to die on this newsgroup, they
go on and on. Maybe there should be WWW slot cutter newsgroup?
Swingman

#20 biscuits and the 557. The biscuits, with glue on them, were snug,

but
could be pushed in by hand with the same resistance you feel on a well

cut
mortise and tenon joint.

On your last statement above about gluing up a 12" X 28" tabletop, did
you get acceptable alignment? you know that is one of the main
advantages of biscuits.

Sure did ... I have had a plate joiner for a good while, but rarely used it,
except for the ocassional FF biscuit "spline" in miter joints. A few weeks
back I glued up a pretty good size table top that I could tell from
experience was going to be problematic, used biscuits for alignment (for the
first time), and was impressed enough to do it again, above, even though I
was tempted to not bother on such a small top.

I am now a fan of biscuits for alignment in panel glue-ups ... took a long
time to come around, though.

I am inclined to agree with you mostly about plate joiners, I have
tried them all and they will all do the job for sure to one degree or
another. At least I could get by with any of them. After trying them
all except Lamello which is just too much money, I prefer the Makita.
It has a number of significant advantages -FOR ME- over any of the
others and I can demonstrate the weak points in all of them. But, like
you say, it isn't exactly a science, sinking a slot. But, working with
a Makita is safer and more accurate. As far as biscuit fit goes, it is
a matter of preference and can be adjusted.

As I said, I got the 557 more for the smaller FF blade than for anything
else, and thus far I've enjoyed using it ... never thought that would
happen.

The biscuit joiner threads never seem to die on this newsgroup, they
go on and on. Maybe there should be WWW slot cutter newsgroup?

Yep ... and we're adding to it. ;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04