Posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting an edge on MDF?

I'm planning to use some Neatform Bendy MDF to create a short curved
wall in my apartment. What tool would I use to put a 45-degree edge on
the back side all along an 8-foot panel?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Router bit with 45 degree bevel?
Table saw with blade at 45 degrees?
dick

"Mr Downtown" "Mr Downtown" wrote in message
I'm planning to use some Neatform Bendy MDF to create a short curved wall
in my apartment. What tool would I use to put a 45-degree edge on the
back side all along an 8-foot panel?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:54:36 -0500, Mr Downtown "Mr Downtown" wrote:

I'm planning to use some Neatform Bendy MDF to create a short curved
wall in my apartment. What tool would I use to put a 45-degree edge on
the back side all along an 8-foot panel?

It can easily be done with a small circular saw and straightedge or a
table saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mr Downtown" "Mr Downtown" wrote in message
I'm planning to use some Neatform Bendy MDF to create a short curved wall
in my apartment. What tool would I use to put a 45-degree edge on the
back side all along an 8-foot panel?

You will probably get a smoother edge if you use a router and the
appropriate bit, a Table Saw will do work also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:13:45 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:54:36 -0500, Mr Downtown "Mr Downtown" wrote:

I'm planning to use some Neatform Bendy MDF to create a short curved
wall in my apartment. What tool would I use to put a 45-degree edge on
the back side all along an 8-foot panel?

It can easily be done with a small circular saw and straightedge or a
table saw.

Unless you have a good table saw with infeed and outfeed tables, I'd
go with the circular saw and straight edge. I've had very good
results with this method using a sharp fine toothed blade.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 29, 8:54*pm, Mr Downtown "Mr Downtown" wrote:
I'm planning to use some Neatform Bendy MDF to create a short curved
wall in my apartment. *What tool would I use to put a 45-degree edge on
the back side all along an 8-foot panel?

I've read the other replies and all will work. I'm somewhat of a
newbie, even though I've complete some fairly major projects, and I
think the router approach would be the easiest (read: require less
skill) than the others. JMHO

Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 29, 6:54 pm, Mr Downtown "Mr Downtown" wrote:
I'm planning to use some Neatform Bendy MDF to create a short curved
wall in my apartment. What tool would I use to put a 45-degree edge on
the back side all along an 8-foot panel?

if this bevel is supposed to fit up to an existing wall I'd use a
block plane and scribe it in. it'll dull the plane blade, but they
aren't to big a deal to sharpen. your wall is probably not perfectly
flat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some say the "scary sharp" method is best, others use a grinding wheel
and stones...

;-)

sorry.

D'ohBoy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks. My brother-in-law felt a router would chew up the MDF and not
leave a smooth edge.

Would you use it sort of like a saw, routing an inch from the edge so
there would be some dropoff? Or set the straightedge so I'm only taking
off the minimum of material?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mr Downtown" "Mr Downtown wrote:
Thanks. My brother-in-law felt a router would chew up the MDF and
not
leave a smooth edge.

Would you use it sort of like a saw, routing an inch from the edge
so
there would be some dropoff? Or set the straightedge so I'm only
taking off the minimum of material?

General rule, saw to approximate dimension, then use the router and a
template to get it exact with a clean edge. If you're going to saw
with the router (nothing wrong with doing that by the way, that's
_exactly_ what a Rotozip is, a router set up for sawing), cut oversize
then make a finishing pass.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)