DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Long Cherry needed. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/25261-long-cherry-needed.html)

dave martin December 26th 03 04:12 PM

Long Cherry needed.

I need a 16 ft. long piece of cherry 8/4 x 6" to use as a mantle.

Please let me know if you have one for sale.

George M. Kazaka December 26th 03 04:20 PM

Long Cherry needed.

That is one Big Freakin Mantle G

Going to be hard to find it @ 16'
Try skarfing two pieces, if done right you will never see it

Good Luck
George
"dave martin" wrote in message
om...
I need a 16 ft. long piece of cherry 8/4 x 6" to use as a mantle.

Please let me know if you have one for sale.

December 26th 03 06:21 PM

Long Cherry needed.

I've got some peices like that. But they all tend to split. Your best bet
for stability is to glue one up alternating grain directions.

Wendell

jo4hn December 26th 03 08:38 PM

Long Cherry needed.

You might look into reclaimed used timbers. One outfit near me is
vintagetimber.com. Their stock varies but includes "western slope old
growth Douglas Fir, Pine, Redwood and Cedar, antique eastern hardwood
timbers and barn board planks and reclaimed flooring from Australia".
IIRC I found them by googling on "exotic woods" or was that "erotic woods"?

mahalo,
jo4hn

B a r r y B u r k e J r . December 26th 03 10:27 PM

Long Cherry needed.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:20:25 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"
wrote:

That is one Big Freakin Mantle G

My thoughts exactly! What do you burn in that fireplace giant
redwoods? G

Can we see it when it's done?

Barry

RWM December 26th 03 10:42 PM

Long Cherry needed.

"dave martin" wrote in message
om...
I need a 16 ft. long piece of cherry 8/4 x 6" to use as a mantle.

Please let me know if you have one for sale.

How about:

Groff & Groff Lumber

858 Scotland Rd.
Quarryville, PA 17566
(800) 342-0001

I am not affiliated in any way, but they have been wonderful when I need a
specific piece of cherry.

Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington

Phisherman December 26th 03 11:24 PM

Long Cherry needed.

On 26 Dec 2003 08:12:58 -0800, (dave martin)
wrote:

I need a 16 ft. long piece of cherry 8/4 x 6" to use as a mantle.

Please let me know if you have one for sale.

One solid piece like that will be subject to twisting, waning,
splitting, cracking and bowing, especially over a fireplace.

BUB 209 December 27th 03 01:12 PM

Long Cherry needed.

You can get it from a retail millshop that
buys wholesale from a big supplier such
as Horn or Heidler in Chicago. You'd
have to call the shop and order it special,
and it would be many gold dabloons -
I suggest Janik Millwork at 708-482-4844