Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT The Non Oil Crisis

Larry Blanchard wrote:
Agreed. A lot of the current price is based on speculation and fear that
wars will disrupt the supply. If there was twice the supply, the
speculators and hoarders would still drive up the price.

If there were twice the supply (and particularly if that were a more
diverse and/or stable supply (like domestic maybe?)), the magnitude
effect of the threats would be far diminished, however...

Posted to rec.woodworking

And I have some ocean front property in Arizona, and if you'll buy that I'll
throw the Golden Gate in free.

;-)
Glen

--
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's
just that they know so much that isn't so."

Renata

PS You'll be happy to hear that the powers that be have decided gas
will peak @ $4.15 in August. Given that we're already at $4.04, the
daily several cent increases that we've been seeing the last several
weeks will obviously will stop. Right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:21:24 GMT, evodawg wrote:

evodawg wrote:

Thanks again you idiot Democrats. Guess the Pinheads are of a mindset to
never let us ever drill another well in the US.

House Subcommittee Rejects Plan to Open U.S. Waters to More Oil
Exploration

There doesn't appear to be a dramatic shortage of oil that is driving
up the price. There are apparently tankers sitting off coasts filled
w/oil.

...and they can't sit there forever. Oil tankers aren't free; somebody
has to pay for the tanker, and at a rate that is equivalent or greater than
the tanker owner would earn if it was doing its as-designed purpose of
transporting oil.

A secondary problem here is we need more refinery capacity in addition to
increased supply. The increased supply goes beyond just the additional
oil, it also includes reduced dependency on foreign sources of oil.
Domestic means not getting controlled by a bunch of oil sheiks in far-off
countries.

Nor has demand increased in proportion to the price
(quintupling in relatively short time).

Drilling won't solve the immediate situation.

But it will sure help for the future. Drilling now and getting oil in
several years is much more logical than not drilling now and not getting
any more oil in several years, yet the anti-capitalist politicians seem to
think that the prospect of 0 barrels of oil in the future since they can't
have it now is somehow better than starting now to get more oil in the
future.

We can look at this as a warning for the future, to look for
alternatives (although, what's an alternative to plastic?) before it
truly becomes a real crisis, or we can have a knee jerk reaction and
sully up the planet in our quest for a few more drops.

Sully up the planet? Puhleez. ANWR is going to use 2000 acres out of 19
MILLION acres -- that doesn't even come close to that loaded word. The
amount of acreage used is the equivalent of a 1.5" square in a 12 foot by
12 foot room. Would you consider a bare room to be "sullied" if a 1.5"
square area had a spot on it? Now, in reality, the real situation will be
a bunch of thin lines throughout the whole area, but it's just not worth
the additional work to embellish the illustration.

The USA faced a challenge in gearing up to fight in WWII and we met
it. We can look at this as a similar challenge in magnitude (if not
even greater), but with a somewhat longer timeframe available to us.
How will we respond?