Posted to rec.woodworking

Default RIP Jim KcKay

If you're over 40, you get it...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/06/07/obit.mckay.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

If you're over 40, you get it...

Sorry to hear that, he was a class act.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
If you're over 40, you get it...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/06/07/obit.mckay.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Shame they couldn't have used a picture of him without that toupee.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

If you're over 40, you get it...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/06/07/obit.mckay.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

I'll never forget that famous line on ABC Wide World of Sports. And the view
of the ski jumper wiping out right before the end of the ramp.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

My now 31 year old and I were in Munich we went to the
'72 Olympic site, and from the top of the tower my
scannnig eyes came on the the Olympic Village.

The first time I recall ever hearing the word "terrorist"
was listening and watching Jim McKay describing what
had and what was happening - and a man looking into
a TV camera saying with the calm, yet barely controlled
emotion - "They're all gone."

He was a gentleman - in the literal sense of the word.

Then we got Howard and now we have That Howard.

When I think it can't get worse - it does. And I can
tell - because McKay is one of my references for
measuring quality. The race to the bottom continues
to accelerate.

Would that we had more men like this gentleman.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 3:38 am, charlieb wrote:

When I think it can't get worse - it does. And I can
tell - because McKay is one of my references for
measuring quality. The race to the bottom continues
to accelerate.

Would that we had more men like this gentleman.

Amen. Even if you take away the fact that he was so versatile, so
articulate, and actually loved what he did, who in the sports casting
field today would be considered his peer?

The knot headed nitwits we have on TV now were certainly never more
accurately described when called "talking heads".

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message

Jim Nance qualifies in the gentleman aspect and is also very articulate,
but not as versatile.

He would top my list as well.
I miss Curt Gowdy.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 07:28:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Amen. Even if you take away the fact that he was so versatile, so
articulate, and actually loved what he did, who in the sports casting
field today would be considered his peer?

I suggest Al Michaels who is awesomely versatile, and Chris Berman,
who is a one-man stats machine.

But I'd jaded about Mr. Berman... He did my high school's football
games in the Naugatuck Valley League, on an AM station that barely
reached the parking lot. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Amen. Even if you take away the fact that he was so versatile, so
articulate, and actually loved what he did, who in the sports
casting
field today would be considered his peer?

The knot headed nitwits we have on TV now were certainly never more
accurately described when called "talking heads".

All though he has limited his activity to one sport and one team, Vin
Scully has been doing the broadcast duties for the Dodgers since the
were still in Brooklyn.

Think he belongs on the list.

Lew