Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New drill

I bought the Hitachi at Lowes for $99. I see it has the Ni-Cad batteries
which I guess is the worst of the battery technologies. My question is that
when new batteries are needed or the old ones are re built, can the
batteries be rebuilt with a different type of batteries or is it necessary
to stay with the Nicads? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul O. wrote:
I bought the Hitachi at Lowes for $99. I see it has the Ni-Cad batteries
which I guess is the worst of the battery technologies. My question is
that when new batteries are needed or the old ones are re built, can the
batteries be rebuilt with a different type of batteries or is it
necessary to stay with the Nicads? Thanks.

Probably depends more on the charger that came with it. It probably
isn't meant to recharge Lithium Ion batteries, so if you changed, you'd
have to get a new charger too. Unlikely to be cost effective.

You got a good drill, and those batteries will last a good while.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Paul O." wrote in message
I bought the Hitachi at Lowes for $99. I see it has the Ni-Cad
batteries which I guess is the worst of the battery technologies. My
question is that when new batteries are needed or the old ones are re
built, can the batteries be rebuilt with a different type of batteries
or is it necessary to stay with the Nicads? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

I'm using Li-Ion batteries in my Makita drills that came with NiCad.
No problems.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 7, 2:29*pm, "Paul O." wrote:
I bought the Hitachi at Lowes for $99. I see it has the Ni-Cad batteries
which I guess is the worst of the battery technologies. My question is that
when new batteries are needed or the old ones are re built, can the
batteries be rebuilt with a different type of batteries or is it necessary
to stay with the Nicads? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

If you are worried about the batteries, you can buy an extra set of
two for $ 99.00.
You also get a free extra charger and a spare drill.
$ 49.50 per battery... not too bad.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 11:45:54 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 7, 2:29*pm, "Paul O." wrote:
I bought the Hitachi at Lowes for $99. I see it has the Ni-Cad batteries
which I guess is the worst of the battery technologies. My question is that
when new batteries are needed or the old ones are re built, can the
batteries be rebuilt with a different type of batteries or is it necessary
to stay with the Nicads? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

If you are worried about the batteries, you can buy an extra set of
two for $ 99.00.
You also get a free extra charger and a spare drill.
$ 49.50 per battery... not too bad.

I think your tongue was poking through your cheek on that one, but I did just
what you said.. lol

Years ago, My wife bought me the Craftsman 19V drill driver and light set..
One charger, 2 tools, 2 batteries..
I picked up an identical drill with battery on Ebay for about $30 because they
had broken up one of those 5 or 6 piece kits and the drill was offered with
battery but no charger..

I'm so used to having the 2 of them on the bench that if one died I'd replace it
with the same thing..
It's handy for the stuff I do to have one DD set on "low" with a hex holder for
screws and the other one set on "high" for drilling..

I know it's lazy, but it sure is nice when I'm doing something that involves a
lot of screws and pilot holes..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing