Posted to rec.woodworking

Default RAS (Old DeWalt)

I needed to make up about 20 small boxes for the daughter of a friend...
fortunately, another friend had just set up an old DeWalt RAS her father
had left her.

The table was a little out of kilter, and I wasn't too confident with the
fence, so I made up a temporary sled... put a two-foot piece of 3/4" board
on the table against the fence, cut a slot to fit a thin back board, and
use that. In theory, should have been absolute straight cuts after that.

Well... except that the metal column that the entire saw rides up and down
on has a slight pivot of about 3-4 degrees. :P

I was able to make do and get the boxes done, but now I'm curious... is
there any way to try and redress this behavior? The only thing I could
think of was trying to attach something to the top of the tube that the
column rides in which will extend into the column (hollow with a slot in
it), but I'm not sure that's the best bet.

Suggestions/comments/snickers?

Thanks.

-- Kurt
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Carlin" wrote in message
SNIP

Well... except that the metal column that the entire saw rides up and down
on has a slight pivot of about 3-4 degrees. :P

I was able to make do and get the boxes done, but now I'm curious... is
there any way to try and redress this behavior? The only thing I could
think of was trying to attach something to the top of the tube that the
column rides in which will extend into the column (hollow with a slot in
it), but I'm not sure that's the best bet.

Suggestions/comments/snickers?

Thanks.

-- Kurt

There are adjustments that can be made to the saw. I can't bring all of them
to mind, but close examination should reveal them.

Maybe a google would be in order. Try this link.

http://www.mrsawdust.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Carlin wrote:
[...]

"Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw", out of print but included on the
"Stationary Saws with Jon Eakes" DVD for ten bucks.
http://joneakes.com/dvd

Complete step by step instructions for adjusting DeWalt, Delta, and
Craftsman saws.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
Carlin wrote:
[...]

Carlin,

There is a great "DeWalt Radial Arm Saw" group over on Delphi Forums
that deals mostly with the older HomeOwner type saws. They are a great
bunch that are willing to help the most raw of nooby as well as seasoned
woodworking pros.

The manual and alignment info for that saw is covered in the FAQ on the
delphi forum or you can download the manual from OWWM.com.

Those old Dewalt are great machines, but they will never perform as
expected until you build a good straight top and align the machine properly.

Scott.

New Dewalt Saw - Dewalt Support Response Dave - Parkville, MD Woodworking 2 January 31st 08 04:44 PM
FA: DeWalt Cordless Tools, DeWalt 8" Radial Arm Saw Marty Escarcega Woodworking 0 April 25th 06 10:50 AM
Dewalt DW 871 Chp saw FS Carson McAloney Woodworking 0 November 18th 05 05:33 AM
Dewalt SimonJ UK diy 38 October 11th 05 08:44 AM
DeWalt RBW Metalworking 18 May 31st 05 06:00 AM