Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default so much for the DeWalt 621 dust pickup

I tried the DeWalt 621 dust pick up. I'm not impressed.
http://tinyurl.com/5nonlo (pictures)

Anyone have recommendations?
(oh......yes, I did have the vac turned *on*)

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
news
I tried the DeWalt 621 dust pick up. I'm not impressed.
http://tinyurl.com/5nonlo (pictures)

Anyone have recommendations?
(oh......yes, I did have the vac turned *on*)

Max

I've never experienced what you show using my 621. Did you leave some of the
shroud off of the router. You may have altered the dust collection system
when you put the non-Dewalt base on the router.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lowell Holmes" wrote

"Max" wrote

I tried the DeWalt 621 dust pick up. I'm not impressed.
http://tinyurl.com/5nonlo (pictures)

Anyone have recommendations?
(oh......yes, I did have the vac turned *on*)

Max

I've never experienced what you show using my 621. Did you leave some
of the shroud off of the router. You may have altered the dust
collection system when you put the non-Dewalt base on the router.

Shroud in place. I cut the plastic base to the same outline as the
original base (which does have an unusual profile)
The shop vac I had attached seems to have plenty of suction. ?????

Max (sick of the #@#*&^% dust) :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Max" wrote in

"Lowell Holmes" wrote

"Max" wrote

I tried the DeWalt 621 dust pick up. I'm not impressed.
http://tinyurl.com/5nonlo (pictures)

Anyone have recommendations?
(oh......yes, I did have the vac turned *on*)

Max

I've never experienced what you show using my 621. Did you leave some
of the shroud off of the router. You may have altered the dust
collection system when you put the non-Dewalt base on the router.

Shroud in place. I cut the plastic base to the same outline as the
original base (which does have an unusual profile)
The shop vac I had attached seems to have plenty of suction. ?????

Max (sick of the #@#*&^% dust) :-(

Well...... I removed the little plastic piece (from the shroud) that
surrounds the bit and it improved the air flow a little but the dust is
still enough of a nuisance that it isn't worth bothering with the vac.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Charley" wrote

Catching sawdust from a router is very difficult. Your two photos
didn't
make it clear what type of cut you were doing (at least it wasn't
obvious to
me) but photo 2 did show a lot of sawdust on your floor.

A router that is held or mounted vertically when it is used throws
sawdust
horizontally, in line with the cutting edge of the bit and
perpendicular to
the bit's orientation. The direction that the sawdust is thrown
horizontally
changes significantly when the point of bit contact with the board
changes.
It is therefore going to be quite difficult to catch all of the
sawdust with
only a single point vacuum source, especially when this point is
located
above the cutting edge of the bit. The DeWalt 621 router's vacuum
pickup,
which is above the cutting line of the bit, will allow many chips to
just go
past this pickup point rather than bending upward and into it due to
the
speed at which the chips are thrown. It may work acceptably if you are
plunge cutting holes with an up cutting spiral bit, as the chips will
be
drawn upwards and contained by the board until they reach this point,
but it
just isn't located in the right place to catch chips from most normal
routing operations. It needs to be located down under the router's
base
roughly opposite the point of contact of the router bit to the board.

When routing the edge of a board I frequently use Leigh's first
generation
vacuum attachment that they made for their dovetail jigs. It features
rectangular funnel that gets mounted below the base of the router, in
line
with the cutting edge of the bit. It's opening has a roller on the
trailing
edge of it and a spring to keep this roller in contact with the board
being
routed effectively closing the area behind the bit and opposite the
edge of
the board being routed. With this funnel in line with the cutting edge
of
the bit, the vacuum can easily collect the chips that are thrown into
it
during the cutting operation, but it misses some that are ejected
forward of
the cutting operation. When routing the edge of a long straight board
this
vacuum attachment works very well collecting 80% or better of the
chips.
However, it is impossible to use if the board has an irregularly
shaped
edge, as this pickup funnel is too big and clumsy to fit around
corners and
in tight places. In this case I don't even try to collect the chips
and just
sweep them up afterward. A down draft table may work better for this,
but I
don't have one to try.

Leigh recently replaced this vacuum attachment with a new and improved
version that mounts directly on their dovetail jigs and not on the
router.
This new vacuum attachment is only useable with their dovetail jigs
and
can't be used separately, but it works much better for dovetailing
than
their first generation vacuum pickup attachment did. In fact I've
found that
it collects 98% or more of the chips from this process. You may,
however,
still be able to find one of their first generation vacuum attachments
at
one of their distributors or direct from Leigh, since the new vacuum
attachment only became available last October.

Charley

Thank you for your very informative reply.
The cut shown in the photo is at the top of the side pieces of what is
to be a TV stand. (to replace this one)
http://tinyurl.com/54ulk8

I was using a 23/32" bit for dadoes.
http://tinyurl.com/5nt5bf

A 3/4" (nominal) plywood top piece will rest on the "rabbet" .There will
be two shelves below the top, dadoed into the side pieces. (that why I
used a 23/32" bit) I would have used an up cutting spiral bit but I'm
not sure they're available in a 23/32" size.
I "could" have cut the dadoes on my table saw but I like the flat bottom
a router bit gives me. Plus the ease of setting up a router and using
an edge guide.
The Leigh attachment appears to be a device I could use when doing
rabbets. I will certainly try to locate one. (Leigh no longer has them)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
news
I tried the DeWalt 621 dust pick up. I'm not impressed.
http://tinyurl.com/5nonlo (pictures)

Anyone have recommendations?
(oh......yes, I did have the vac turned *on*)

Max

Well, while pricey Festool tools are designed for optimum dust collection by
comparison. Let your local dealer give you a demonstration and or buy one
and if you are not satisfied you have 30 days to return it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote

"Max" wrote

I tried the DeWalt 621 dust pick up. I'm not impressed.

Anyone have recommendations?

Max

Well, while pricey Festool tools are designed for optimum dust
collection by comparison. Let your local dealer give you a
demonstration and or buy one and if you are not satisfied you have 30
days to return it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
The Festool website doesn't show any dealers in my area. (El Paso)
The nearest is in Tucson.
I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $450 for a router and another $490 for a
dust collector without seeing one in action. :-(
I watched the Festool demo by the Wood whisperer but he didn't demo a
dado process; just edge forming. The dadoing is the application I'm
most interested in since I may have a process for mitigating dust
production during edge forming.
http://tinyurl.com/5dat4r

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Charley" wrote

"Max" wrote

Have you considered using a smaller bit and making multiple passes? If
remember correctly, Leon has a jig posted on his website for easily
making
dados with a router. You can easily set the width using a piece of
scrap the
thickness of the desired dado and then cut the dado with a top bearing
guided bit. The bit will remove material to whatever the jig width is
set
for. If you don't want to build the jig you can clamp 2 straight edge
boards
across your work with the scrap held between them to set the width,
then
remove the scrap and rout the dado using the same top bearing bit. Of
course, this doesn't solve your desire to collect the sawdust, but it
does
allow you to easily make perfect fitting dados with a router. The
vacuum
pickup on the DW621 may work some because the chips will be contained
in the
jig slot and under the router base where the vacuum option may be able
collect at least some of them.

Charley

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
I'm certainly open to options. Taking 2 passes would allow the use of a
spiral bit and I have no objection to making jigs. Like clamps, there's
no such thing as too many. grin
The 23/32" bit I have been using makes a perfect fit for the Oak plywood
I've been using but if moving to a spiral bit will improve dust pick-up,
I'm all for it.

Max