Posted to rec.woodworking

Default computer drafting advice needed

I have been hand drafting for 18 years and always felt happy doing it that
way..
Autocad always seemed like more than I wanted to learn.....
But now with other options, maybe it is time for me..
I was told about turbocad , and then I see there is a furniture plug-in
And I know there are other programs ...
So what program do you think I should tackle..
I build custom furniture, here's an example
http://www.jlfurniture.com/Art_Deco/.../decoangle.jpg

If I were to take this step, and big part of the decision would be good
instruction books, or dvd's

I'm fairly good on the computer... Built my website..

Thanks for your input..

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dwolf" wrote:

I'm fairly good on the computer... Built my website..

Looks like you are also pretty good with a 2H pencil and a couple of
triangles.G

As an old time lead slinger, I couldn't justify all the puter input
required for the data bases before you get a payoff.

A quadrille pad, a pink-pearl eraser, and some H sketching pencils
gets a lot of work done with little effort.

OTOH, if this is to be a puter learning experience, different ball
game.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:

I have been hand drafting for 18 years and always felt happy doing it that
way..
Autocad always seemed like more than I wanted to learn.....
But now with other options, maybe it is time for me..
I was told about turbocad , and then I see there is a furniture plug-in
And I know there are other programs ...
So what program do you think I should tackle..
I build custom furniture, here's an example
http://www.jlfurniture.com/Art_Deco/.../decoangle.jpg

Mighty nice work.

If I were to take this step, and big part of the decision would be good
instruction books, or dvd's

I'm fairly good on the computer... Built my website..

Thanks for your input..

If you are using Windows, TurboCAD works pretty well, but it is a bit
different than other 3D CAD programs. I've started using VariCAD
(www.varicad.com) because I'm running Linux. I used to use TurboCAD but
have found that the varicad tool is actually more efficient. For example, I
would never draw out joinery in TurboCAD because it was quite difficult (I
thought) to make mortise and tennon or other joints -- Varicad is much
easier to do various milling operations.

They also have a Windows version; they are a bit spendy, but cost less
than Autocad or Pro-E; I look at it as another tool.

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dwolf" wrote in message
I have been hand drafting for 18 years and always felt happy doing it that
way..
Autocad always seemed like more than I wanted to learn.....
But now with other options, maybe it is time for me..
I was told about turbocad , and then I see there is a furniture plug-in
And I know there are other programs ...
So what program do you think I should tackle..
I build custom furniture, here's an example
http://www.jlfurniture.com/Art_Deco/.../decoangle.jpg

About a month ago, I asked a similar question, seems the predominate answer
was Sketch Up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I build custom *furniture, here's an examplehttp://www.jlfurniture.com/Art_Deco/Art_Deco_Desk/decoangle.jpg

If I were to take this step, and big part of the decision would be good
instruction books, or dvd's

I'm fairly good on the computer... Built my website..

Thanks for your input..

Joel

Sketch up is a great program and its free with lots of on line help.
I have also used design cad 3D made by the same people who make turbo
cad.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 21, 6:36 am, randyswoodshoop wrote:
On May 20, 8:06 pm, "dwolf" wrote:

I have been hand drafting for 18 years and always felt happy doing it that
way..
Autocad always seemed like more than I wanted to learn.....
But now with other options, maybe it is time for me..
I was told about turbocad , and then I see there is a furniture plug-in
And I know there are other programs ...
So what program do you think I should tackle..
I build custom furniture, here's an examplehttp://www.jlfurniture.com/Art_Deco/Art_Deco_Desk/decoangle.jpg

If I were to take this step, and big part of the decision would be good
instruction books, or dvd's

I'm fairly good on the computer... Built my website..

SketchUp is definitely the answer. See my description at
http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm . It is free and easy to
learn. I have posted an 8 part tutorial on my blog for beginners.
Check it out at http://www.srww.com/blog . I have used TurboCAD for
about 15 years to draw my furniture designs and recently switched to
SketchUp. Give it a try.

Joe....

Thanks for your input..

Joel

Sketch up is a great program and its free with lots of on line help.
I have also used design cad 3D made by the same people who make turbo
cad.

Randyhttp://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
I have been hand drafting for 18 years and always felt happy doing it that
way..
Autocad always seemed like more than I wanted to learn.....
But now with other options, maybe it is time for me..
I was told about turbocad , and then I see there is a furniture plug-in
And I know there are other programs ...
So what program do you think I should tackle..
I build custom furniture, here's an example
http://www.jlfurniture.com/Art_Deco/.../decoangle.jpg

If I were to take this step, and big part of the decision would be good
instruction books, or dvd's

I'm fairly good on the computer... Built my website..

Thanks for your input..

You'll hear a lot about Google Sketchup. My wife is a professional
AutoCAD instructor, has done commercial office and building drawings,
and is generally a CADD goddess. She started playing with Sketchup a
few months ago, and fell in love with it instantly. Perfect for the
casual users, interior decorators, and such who don't need to actually
know hardcore CAD and drafting.

Try it--it's free!

Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 20, 9:06*pm, "dwolf" wrote:
I have been hand drafting for 18 years and always felt happy doing it that
way..
Autocad always seemed like more than I wanted to learn.....
But now with other options, maybe it is time for me..
I was told about turbocad , and then I see there is a furniture plug-in
And I know there are other programs ...
So what program do you think I should tackle..
I build custom *furniture, here's an examplehttp://www.jlfurniture.com/Art_Deco/Art_Deco_Desk/decoangle.jpg

If I were to take this step, and big part of the decision would be good
instruction books, or dvd's

I'm fairly good on the computer... Built my website..

Thanks for your input..

Joel

I wandered around your website for a bit and your designs look great.
I hope that the regimen of a CAD program isn't going to mess with your
free flow of design.
Fabulous stuff there, mate.

I use Vectorworks on a Mac, but it is a bit spendy. Vectorworks is
also available for PC