Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shaker footstool finishes

Does anyone know what kind of finish(es) were typically applied to
original all-wood Shaker footstools? I have just completed two
Hancock footstools made from plans in "Shop Drawings of Shaker
Furniture and Woodenware Volume III" and I wanted to apply the same
original finish. This book does not always mention finishes. The
tops are southern yellow pine and the legs were turned from white oak.
These footstools do not have fabric tapes. TIA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 20, 7:28*am, Phisherman wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of finish(es) were typically applied to
original all-wood Shaker footstools? *I have just completed two
Hancock footstools made from plans in "Shop Drawings of Shaker
Furniture and Woodenware Volume III" and I wanted to apply the same
original finish. *This book does not always mention finishes. *The
tops are southern yellow pine and the legs were turned from white oak.
These footstools do not have fabric tapes. *TIA

Most shaker furniture was finish with shellacor painted with milk
paint.
I have a section in my web site on shaker furniture and links for moe
information on shakers and furniture.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:46:25 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop
wrote:

On May 20, 7:28*am, Phisherman wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of finish(es) were typically applied to
original all-wood Shaker footstools? *I have just completed two
Hancock footstools made from plans in "Shop Drawings of Shaker
Furniture and Woodenware Volume III" and I wanted to apply the same
original finish. *This book does not always mention finishes. *The
tops are southern yellow pine and the legs were turned from white oak.
These footstools do not have fabric tapes. *TIA

Most shaker furniture was finish with shellacor painted with milk
paint.
I have a section in my web site on shaker furniture and links for moe
information on shakers and furniture.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Good links Randy! I have an extensive collection of Shaker books, yet
have not seen any mention of footstool finishes. Much of my furniture
is Shaker replicas I agree that many items were finished with milk
paint and/or shellac. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

paint and/or shellac. *Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

I do alot of shaker stuff myself.. I have been to both shaker villages
in Kentucky. I like there clean lines.

Randy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 13:09:43 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop
wrote:

I do alot of shaker stuff myself.. I have been to both shaker villages
in Kentucky. I like there clean lines.

Me too!

I haven't been to Kentucky, but there's a nice Shaker village in MA.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

FOOTSTOOL J T Woodworking 0 May 1st 07 03:36 AM
Shaker and Mission? Stoutman Woodworking 24 July 26th 06 03:55 PM
Hight Gloss Finishes for on top of oil based finishes? That are easy to use redice Woodworking 18 June 8th 06 04:39 PM
Jake chair footstool rile Woodworking 0 September 5th 05 01:28 AM
SHAKER LAP DESK J T Woodworking 19 March 13th 05 03:52 PM