Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How did they do this

Somebody posted this site earlier for design ideas...

Great design ideas and I love building
benches, but how in the world did they
create the top for this bench ???

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...living/neehi72

Enlarge it to get a closer peek...

I'm sure it's machine done...but how ???

Note the bevel in the middle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Somebody posted this site earlier for design ideas...

Great design ideas and I love building
benches, but how in the world did they
create the top for this bench ???

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...living/neehi72

Enlarge it to get a closer peek...

I'm sure it's machine done...but how ???

Note the bevel in the middle.

Seems it's a flat top with a curved bevel along the front bottom edge.
If I were to do that, I'd draw the curve I wanted along the front edge,
then attack it with a spindle sander or rasp.

That is attractive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:

Somebody posted this site earlier for design ideas...

Great design ideas and I love building
benches, but how in the world did they
create the top for this bench ???

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...living/neehi72

Enlarge it to get a closer peek...

I'm sure it's machine done...but how ???

Note the bevel in the middle.

Not sure we are looking at the same picture. I see a TV Stand not a bench
and no signs of what your describing.

Confused!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry ...wrong link showed up...

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...ing/doza_bench

The bevel in the middle of the bench top was
what I was wondering about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Sorry ...wrong link showed up...

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...ing/doza_bench

The bevel in the middle of the bench top was
what I was wondering about.

Belt sander, Spokeshave

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Leon" wrote in message

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Sorry ...wrong link showed up...

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...ing/doza_bench

The bevel in the middle of the bench top was
what I was wondering about.

Belt sander, Spokeshave

Router following a template.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...living/neehi72

Note the bevel in the middle.

I really like that detail. Some asian designs have curved ends on the
tabletop that require a thicker piece of wood.
This curved bevel doesn't duplicate that, but gives a visual impression
of it. Attractive and an efficient use of material.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote

I'm sure it's machine done...but how ???

Note the bevel in the middle.

Probably a CNC machine, since they do production furniture. But, you can do
the same thing, as Leon says, with various combinations of belt sander, ROS,
etc, and/or a spokeshave/pullshave like this:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...4888&cat=1,310

.... or, you can make a jig that sits on top of the benchtop and use a
router/straight bit to follow the curve to rough it out, then sand/scrape it
smooth. Building the jig would probably be a project in itself, but you
should be able to readily envision what's necessary to make it work.

IIRC, David Marks did something similar on one his projects using the
router/jig concept, and there are also many examples of him using various
shaves, an electric ball grinder, and even a side grinder, all as a
sculpting tools on his shows.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Based on production mathods, I'm ready to
accept the CNC method.

A belt sander and a router "could" do most
of it. This was my first thoughts when I
saw it.

I really found the detail pretty neat even in a
plant setting. The bench has some nice lines and
I think the seat really sets it off.

It would appear that they use that detail in
several other items.

Swingman wrote:

Probably a CNC machine, since they do production furniture. But, you can do
the same thing, as Leon says, with various combinations of belt sander, ROS,
etc, and/or a spokeshave/pullshave like this:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...4888&cat=1,310

Posted to rec.woodworking

It looks to me like what we used to call (in the jewelery industry)
Illusion Filing.
Where you make something APPEAR to be thinner/thicker by the way you beveled
an edge.

Funny, I looked at the first link and wondered if you ever got around to
making that TV stand. Didja?

K.

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Sorry ...wrong link showed up...

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...ing/doza_bench

The bevel in the middle of the bench top was
what I was wondering about.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Sorry ...wrong link showed up...

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...ing/doza_bench

The bevel in the middle of the bench top was
what I was wondering about.

I'm not sure I see the problem. Could you point it out for me?
Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Sorry ...wrong link showed up...

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...ing/doza_bench

The bevel in the middle of the bench top was
what I was wondering about.

Pat,

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but I think that the top
has a slight arc to it in plan view. In other words, looking down from
the top, the shape is not rectilinear, but rather the long axis bows out
(has an arc). If, and I repeat IF, I'm correct about the shape of the
top, it's easy to do.

First, while the top is still rectilinear, (before you cut the arc), you
cut a bevel down the length of the top. I've done it with a hand plane,
but it can also be down on the table saw with the top on edge and the
blade angled. Then, once the bevel is cut, you cut your arc from corner
to corner. To maximize the effect you're seeing, you leave the center of
the arc at the maximum width of the rectangular plank, and the end
points of the arc are placed wherever your bevel ends. The longer and
shallower the bevel, the more exaggerated the bevel appears. Here's a
link to a picture of one of my tables where I did this. I'm sorry that
my description is not easy to understand. Like many things in
woodworking, it's harder to describe than to do.

http://www.thunderworksinc.com/rick/...offeetable.htm

Rick
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I'm pretty sure you're right Rick...that's how it appears to be.

The thicker the top, the shorter the overall length and the "flatter" the
bevel cut will make it exaggerate the effect.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 May 2008 20:55:44 -0500, Rick Stein wrote:

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but I think that the top
has a slight arc to it in plan view. In other words, looking down from
the top, the shape is not rectilinear, but rather the long axis bows out
(has an arc). If, and I repeat IF, I'm correct about the shape of the
top, it's easy to do.

Even if the edge is straight, it's still possible using a variation of
the technique:

First make the top 1/2" or so wider than the finished size. Cut a long
smooth curve from the side, going from nothing the the ends to 1/2" deep
in the centre - use a bandsaw, belt sander, router, whatever. This curve
has a vertical edge so is easy enough to shape.

Then cut away the angle from underneath - evenly all the way along, so
probably a router is best for this step.

Finally rip the edge straight again, 1/2" in. At the ends you will have
no cutaway, in the centre you'll have half an inch of full undercut.

I'm sure there are easier ways, though!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Excellent idea...
and you build some pretty cool stuff.

I would have never come up with that idea and I
suspect you are right.

The little bench is a nice looking piece but
the top really sets it off.

What bevel angle are you using to make that
first cut and how do you lay out that arc ?

I gotta make up some MDF tops to fool around
with this concept.

Great idea...

Rick Stein wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would have sworn you were talking about the thinning toward the middle of
the bench seat, similar to a sculpted chair seat, and not the beveling of
the ends, as below?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

"Pat Barber" wrote

Rick Stein wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep... you are right ... I was talking about the long sides and
not the ends, but wouldn't his method work for the sides as well
as the ends ???

Swingman wrote:
I would have sworn you were talking about the thinning toward the middle of
the bench seat, similar to a sculpted chair seat, and not the beveling of
the ends, as below?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually, it should and is a very nice "edge" effect indeed.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but I viewed that particular bench as having
been "sculpted" as you would a chair seat, probably mistakenly.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Swingman wrote:
I would have sworn you were talking about the thinning toward the middle

of
the bench seat, similar to a sculpted chair seat, and not the beveling

of
the ends, as below?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:

Somebody posted this site earlier for design ideas...

Great design ideas and I love building
benches, but how in the world did they
create the top for this bench ???

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht...living/neehi72

Enlarge it to get a closer peek...

I'm sure it's machine done...but how ???

Note the bevel in the middle.

Another possible solution:
A piloted chamfer bit that with a template that is concave, coinciding
with the edge of the workpiece at the middle (full depth of cut),
curving to add the width of the bevel (totally disengaging the bit
from the workpiece) at the ends.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm doing a bookcase for my kid at the moment and it
call for a really severe cut back edge on the top.

The top starts out at 1.5" thick and cut's back to 3/8"
on the outer edge.

It's a nice look but what a pain in the wazoooo.

The author of the article(FWW Book) used a dado stack
and cut most of it away with that and then went at it
with a sander.

The saw does remove most of the stock
but that sure leaves a LOT of fine tuning
to make it pretty.

I'm gonna give this guys' idea a spin with a
few pieces of MDF just for fun...

I have also thought about vertical panel raising bits
on a horizontal router table.