Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Parts help

I'd like to ask you all for a little help if I could. I feel almost guilty
asking for help when I haven't been very active in the group for a while,
but between work and real life, I haven't had much time, but anyway . . .

As some of you might know I teach HS woodshop. We have an old bandsaw,
about 17 years old or so. Anyway, it's Powermatic Model 81. It's a good,
powerful saw, but the brake shoe (part 3725002) gave up the ghost. It is
beyond repair. I was on the line with Powermatic this morning and they told
me the part is "obsolete." The only thing that they could suggest was to go
to a machine shop and get one custom made or find an old parts dealer. I
have made all the calls that I could to suppliers that I know, but have had
no success in finding this part. I was hoping that one of you might know of
where I could get a hold of this part, or even perhaps might have this item
laying around somewhere (if you are like I am and save piles of stuff
because it might come in handy some day) and could help me out. Obviously I
could run the saw without the brake, but I like to keep my machines (well,
actually the school's machines) in proper shape. If it comes with a brake
it should have a brake.

So, if any of you fine gentlemen could give me a lead I would greatly
appreciate it. You can post any reply here, or if you prefer you could
e-mail me. What ever is more convenient for you. My e-mail is: Golf, Kilo,
Romeo, Alpha, India, Golf, at India, X-ray, dot netcom.com. (damn spam bots)

Thanks in advance,
Glen

( I posted this message in ABPW as well, but did not cross post)

--
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's
just that they know so much that isn't so."

- Ronald Reagan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
news
I'd like to ask you all for a little help if I could. I feel almost

guilty
asking for help when I haven't been very active in the group for a while,
but between work and real life, I haven't had much time, but anyway . . .

As some of you might know I teach HS woodshop. We have an old bandsaw,
about 17 years old or so. Anyway, it's Powermatic Model 81. It's a good,
powerful saw, but the brake shoe (part 3725002) gave up the ghost. It is
beyond repair. I was on the line with Powermatic this morning and they

told

You might consider using a piece of oak for a brake shoe... seems to me that
the San Francisco trolley cars still use wooden brake shoes...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

but the brake shoe (part 3725002) gave up the ghost. �It is
beyond repair.

but I like to keep my machines (well,
actually the school's machines) in proper shape. �If it comes with a brake
it should have a brake.

Glen

I would take what is left and go to a brake shoe reliner and let him
handle the problem.

Page 3410 of the current McMaster-Carr catalog also has a nice
selection of brake shoe lining. "mcmaster.com" is their web site
address.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's not that old but I would check with the guys over
at http://www.owwm.org. These guys are constantly finding
or looking for older parts.