RWS

Default crosscut sled

Hi..what is the best kind of wood, to make a crosscut sled? I have scrap
plywood, but one side is uneven...I dont like it..cant screw the maple
runners...thanks for anyone's opinion...thanks.

Mark

Hey, no fair. I posted 1st.......

RWS wrote:

Hi..what is the best kind of wood, to make a crosscut sled? I have scrap
plywood, but one side is uneven...I dont like it..cant screw the maple
runners...thanks for anyone's opinion...thanks.

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"RWS" wrote:

Hi..what is the best kind of wood, to make a crosscut sled? I have scrap
plywood, but one side is uneven...I dont like it..cant screw the maple
runners...thanks for anyone's opinion...thanks.

I made one out of 3/4" MDF and I just waxed if after. I'm happy with it.
Here's a pic:

http://home.swbell.net/snaphook/Pics/cc_sled.jpg

Jim Wilson

RWS wrote...
Hi..what is the best kind of wood, to make a crosscut sled? I have scrap
plywood, but one side is uneven...I dont like it..cant screw the maple
runners...thanks for anyone's opinion...thanks.

Use whatever's at hand that will work. That said, I like plywood for the
bottom and 1/4" baltic birch is darn near perfect, IMO. It's thin and
stays flat. Hardboard gets dinged up easily, but it will work for awhile.
Even so, I have one sled with a 3/4" MDF bed, but it eats up 1/2" more
cutting capacity than the thinner sleds, and this has caused an
occasional problem with thicker stock.

You can use any straight-grained wood for the fences. Even a 2x4, if you
are lucky enough to have a decent one on hand.

Jim