Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT ANZAC Day

Today, April 25 is ANZAC day when Australian and New Zealanders
remember their fallen.

For me it is to remember those in my family who served:
I had an uncle who was in the Long Range Desert Group in North Africa
causig problems for Rommel. Another who would only describe the huge
scar on his arm as a mosquito bite. - As far as I can gather he was
shot parachuting into Holland in the Market Garden operation. Another
uncle had to live with carying out an order to ride through Italy in
his tank shooting 'anyone big enough to pick up a rifle'. If that was
done and seen to be done by the Axis powers it would have been a war
crime.
For my FIL it was living with seeing the bodies of his mates after the
starving Japanese had eaten bits of them. For my Grandfather it was
living with the vision of seeing the ambulance in front of the one he
was driving just explode into nothing but hot air and dust. For my
other grandfather it was going back down the coal mine (or 'down pit'
as he'd say) after his youngest daughter was buried alive for 24 hours
when a bomb hit the house she was in, not knowing when he came back up
if his family was going t be there or not.

They shall not grow old
As we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condem
In the morning and at the going down of the sun
We shall remember them.

Lest we forget.

Mekon

--
Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Mekon wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for that Mekon.
I grew up 10 miles or less from the operation Market Garden area that was
depicted in "A Bridge too Far", and in an episode of Band of Brothers.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mekon wrote in
:

[...]

Spent some time with Australian and New Zealanders a long time ago. I'd
rest easy with either watching my back.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hank" wrote in message
. ..
Mekon wrote in
:

[...]

I agree whole haeartedly. For those that may not know the history of ANZAC
Day Wipipedia gives a hint.

As someone who is a third generation Canadian Army veteran - my father
served in the Canadian Army in WWII, and my son is currently serving in the
same Regiment in the reserves all I can say is Lest We Forget.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Brown wrote:

"Hank" wrote in message
. ..
Mekon wrote in
:

Today, April 25 is ANZAC day when Australian and New Zealanders
remember their fallen.

.... snip
Spent some time with Australian and New Zealanders a long time ago. I'd
rest easy with either watching my back.

I agree whole haeartedly. For those that may not know the history of
ANZAC Day Wipipedia gives a hint.

As someone who is a third generation Canadian Army veteran - my father
served in the Canadian Army in WWII, and my son is currently serving in
the same Regiment in the reserves all I can say is Lest We Forget.

Tribute to the current Australian troops:
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/10/beccy_cole_post.html Scroll down to
the YouTube link