Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Painting plywood & poplar

Hello,

In an effort to further my woodworking skills, I started building a small
bathroom vanity. So far, I've only built the carcase and face frame. They're
made from salvaged plywood (11 ply - not sure about the veneer) that was
used as a packing crate and poplar. I plan on using poplar for the door
frame with a luan panel. Nothing fancy here, more of a learning project.

Since the plywood wasn't completely blemish free, my plan was to paint the
vanity. I also tried to use the better portions of it on the outside where
it will show, in order to minimize any blemishes from telegraphing through.

It's often been stated that poplar "takes paint very well". However, after
numerous searches, I haven't been able to find out what primer and paint
should be used. Does anyone here have any suggestions or the proper search
terms to use?

I'm also going to try to post a couple of pictures on a.b.p.w. for feedback.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply.

Peter.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:
It's often been stated that poplar "takes paint very well". However, after
numerous searches, I haven't been able to find out what primer and paint
should be used. Does anyone here have any suggestions or the proper search
terms to use?

Any good quality interior paint approved/recommended by the manufacturer
ed for new wood is fine. Finish you want is your choice, but normally a
vanity would get fair amount of use of a gloss, washable enamel for the
finish coat would probably be the ticket.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I would coat it with a primer/sealer and fill in any voids.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:

It's often been stated that poplar "takes paint very well". However, after
numerous searches, I haven't been able to find out what primer and paint
should be used.

I'd use a good, sandable primer/sealer, like BIN. I prefer
non-waterbased primers, as they can be sanded sooner (and better) and
don't raise the grain. Zinnser Sealcoat also works as a good primer,
except it's non-pigmented and clear.

In fact, Sealcoat is one product that nearly every woodworker should
keep on hand, as it will go over or under nearly anything.

If you're buying your materials from a good local paint store, they also
will suggest a good primer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Peter,

I had a look at your photos...
looks great to me!

My hubby and I made a very similar project for a guest bath last year, out
of the same type of materials.

Since our theme in there is pretty dramatic I opted to go with black.

Rather than prime it I carefully filled and sanded any blemishes on it then
used a black semi-gloss spray that I bought at Lowes.
Personally I don't think you need any primer but you will want to sand
lightly after the first and second coats.
The guys in here helped me out a lot on another painted wood project some
time ago. You don't have to prime the wood, it will take the paint very
well. Unless you're concerned about the wood bleeding through the color,
then I don't know what to say.

Be sure to paint it when it's not too hot and take care to maintain a wet
edge between strokes. A spray will not leave brush lines but will lessen
your color choices. The great thing about a spray semi-gloss is that it is
VERY forgiving.

The results are beautiful and very durable..
I'll post a photo for you on the other group and you can see for yourself.

Kate

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Any good quality paint will work well HOWEVER in a humid bathroom condition
I highly recommend an OIL based paint. It will not become/feel soft and
sticky when the room is humid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Name of paint

This is the one I prefer:

American Accents, by RustOleum
Gives a great, durable, washable finish.

K.

painting a plywood trailer - what is best? Tom Woods UK diy 4 March 17th 07 03:48 PM
New Poplar Plywood at the orange borg dteckie Woodworking 0 September 5th 06 11:10 AM
Poplar Plywood=NFG RayV Woodworking 0 August 26th 06 06:56 PM
painting plywood alexy Woodworking 5 August 25th 06 05:09 PM
Painting Plywood Need some help Iowa883 Home Repair 22 March 3rd 05 03:20 PM