Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Something new

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message

Which countries do think host or harbor spammers?

Now check out the top ten he

http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries.lasso

The number 1 spam supporting country is, to my knowledge, the
only country that has passed legislation specifically to protect
spammers from prosecution.

Even worse, they must be getting some customers. Why would you continue to
spam unless you got positive responses and made money? I can't imagine
people supporting these *******s.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message

The number 1 spam supporting country is, to my knowledge, the
only country that has passed legislation specifically to protect
spammers from prosecution.

What legislation would that be, Fred? Be specific.

--
Regards,

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 11:39 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message

The number 1 spam supporting country is, to my knowledge, the
only country that has passed legislation specifically to protect
spammers from prosecution.

What legislation would that be, Fred? Be specific.

I refer to the aptly named CAN SPAM act of 2003. Apropos as
it protects spammers from state prosecution for spamming
per se.

If you google the news.admin.net-abuse.email newsgroup for
2003 you will find that anti-spam activists had successfully
killed S-877, a bill that would regulate, rather than prohibit
spam. It was opposed by anti-spam (actually, I prefer the
term pro-internet) advocates becuase of a highly unusual
(for consumer protection legislation, it included a provision
expressly pre-empting stricter state laws. As woowdorkers
in California know, states may in general impose and enforce
stricter regulations on products and service within their own
borders, even if those same products and services are involved
in interstate commerce.

However in the Fall of 2003, California passed legislation scheduled
to take effect January 1, 2004, that prohibited the act of sending
unsolicited commecial email to or from a computer that was
physically located in California.

S-877 was hastily revived and passed unanimously by the Senate,
and less than a half dozen Congressmen (Kucinich among them)
voted agains the House counterpart. S-877 thus became the (they)
CAN SPAM (you) act of 2003, taking effect on January 1, 2004.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 18, 11:08 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message

Which countries do think host or harbor spammers?

Now check out the top ten he

http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries.lasso

The number 1 spam supporting country is, to my knowledge, the
only country that has passed legislation specifically to protect
spammers from prosecution.

Even worse, they must be getting some customers. Why would you continue to
spam unless you got positive responses and made money? I can't imagine
people supporting these *******s.

Like gall, nearly all spam may be divided into three types [1].

1) from major Spam Gangs. There are a little more than a
hundred of these, down from nearly 200 a few years ago
probably as a result of takeovers by the Russian mafia
which now dominates this category. About 80% of spam
comes from these organizations. They probably do make
money from direct marketing of their spamvertized products,
or indirectly after establishing a 'business' relationship.
These include the Nigerian 419 spammers.

2) from ;'Chickenboners'. The term was coined for 'affiliate'
spam based on the image of a part-time spammer who,
on his way home from flipping burgers at his daytime job,
stops off at a fired chicken place and then 'works' late into
the night eating chicken while spamming from his PC in
his bedroom down in his Mother's basement. These guys
probably lose money, but the parent organization that
sold them their 'affiliate' status as part of a pyramid scheme
probable makes makes money. While specific chickenboners
most likely have fairly short careers, there is a sucker born
every day producing an endless supply of chickenboner trainees
for the sellers of get rich quick schemes like buying judicial
judgements, or pre-paid legal services.

Probably some of the stock price pump and dump spam is
sent by chickenboners too, though that scam does require
some capital, credit, or at least leverage.

3) from Mainsleaze. This is the spam promoted by the Direct
Marketing Association. Essentially it is spam sent by or
on behalf of otherwise supposedly legitimate companies.
MOST of those terminate their spamming after being in-
undated by complaints and threatened with blacklisting.
Kraft Foods, notorious for it's Gevalia Coffee spam is the
most noteworthy exception, even using auto-lie software to
respond to complaints.

Of these three groups, only the third can be kept in check by
legislation and public outcry. The second come and go too
fast and the first survive by hiding in plain sight on the world's
major ISPs.

One of the most common, if not the most common,
misconceptions about spam is that the ISPs don't konw
who or where the spammers are. If Spamhaus can
find them, surely their own hosts can too. If nothing else,
they only have to visit the Spamhaus.org webpages and
look themselves up in the tables.

--

FF

[1] at least that is what I remember from an Isaac Asimov
article about the gall bladder.