Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help looking for basswood in the UK

Hi,

I have yet to ask my local timber yards, but I was wondering if anyone
could advised me on where I can find a supplier for basswood as I
would love to start giving wood carving a try. I've delved into the
dear ol' google search, which amounted to not much in the way of
basswood. I did find suppliers for wood turning, but they sold all
sorts of lovely exotic woods, but not what I was looking for.

Alternatively, if there is a wood that's suitable for a beginner
that's more readily available, please let me know!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Apr, 20:52, wrote:

I have yet to ask my local timber yards, but I was wondering if anyone
could advised me on where I can find a supplier for basswood as I
would love to start giving wood carving a try.

You'll need to ask for "lime" instead. Europeans call it "linden" as
well.

Good cabinetmakers' suppliers should have it - try the ads in the back
of the woodie mags. I've got plenty of it because I'm in Bristol and
it's a local timber (the best species is really only found in the Wye
valley). If you're further North then it can be harder to track down.
Sometimes people sell it on eBay.

Price varies _hugely_. I've got a fried who chainsaw-carves conga
drums and canoes from it. Buy it from Tiranti or an "art" supplier and
you pay a fortune for tiny bits.

Watch out for staining. It's a bit prone to blue-grey stain if it gets
wet in store. That can be a problem if you plan to leave the carved
surface bare afterwards.

Basswood splitting Dan Jefferson Woodworking 3 June 2nd 07 10:11 PM
Linden or basswood tree for bowls Tom Woodturning 5 September 4th 06 11:38 PM
Basswood Bill Gooch Woodturning 7 July 6th 05 02:26 PM
Basswood components for plantation shutters DaveP Woodworking 0 January 25th 04 12:54 AM