Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's up with Channel Lock drills?

In Sam's today to buy a brisket, and whipping by the home stuff I saw
a "Channellock" 24V drill. It is a 24V drill with two batteries, 22
settings on the clutch, variable speed trigger, 1/2" chuck, a one hour
charger and a carry case for $49.

It's really Channellock, too. Not Channel Locker, or some baloney
like that.

http://tinyurl.com/4y7f9s

I checked on the 'net, and no, Channellock hasn't gone out of
business, They simply whored out their name (OK, licensed it) to a
Chinese company to make them. Join the crowd on that one.

Anyone got any dope on these? It looks like it could be a good
jobsite/truck drill. A couple of good reviews on Amazon is all I
could find. My experience is that if it seems to good to be true, it
usually is...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone got any dope on these?

Check out Cooper Industries.

In recent years they have turned into a holding company scooping up
lots of tool companies with good brand identification.

Pretty sure they bought up the Vice-Grip product line for example.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 5:10 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
wrote:

Anyone got any dope on these?

Check out Cooper Industries.

In recent years they have turned into a holding company scooping up
lots of tool companies with good brand identification.

Pretty sure they bought up the Vice-Grip product line for example.

Lew

Irwin bought American Tool; CooperTool did not.

Irwin is owned by the same company that makes Sharpie pens.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:55:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

In Sam's today to buy a brisket, and whipping by the home stuff I saw
a "Channellock" 24V drill. It is a 24V drill with two batteries, 22
settings on the clutch, variable speed trigger, 1/2" chuck, a one hour
charger and a carry case for $49.

It's really Channellock, too. Not Channel Locker, or some baloney
like that.

http://tinyurl.com/4y7f9s

I checked on the 'net, and no, Channellock hasn't gone out of
business, They simply whored out their name (OK, licensed it) to a
Chinese company to make them. Join the crowd on that one.

It's a marketing thing. Think Dewalt, probably the most successful
use of a purchased name to market a product that had no real ties to
the product that established the name's reputation.

Anyone got any dope on these? It looks like it could be a good
jobsite/truck drill. A couple of good reviews on Amazon is all I
could find. My experience is that if it seems to good to be true, it
usually is...

Gave my middle son one for Christmas. Too early to tell if it was a
wise purchase. Will be using it next week for a little fence
building. Will report back.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 6:08 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:

Gave my middle son one for Christmas. Too early to tell if it was a
wise purchase. Will be using it next week for a little fence
building. Will report back.

Excellent. Thanks, Frank.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Actually, B&D aquired DeWalt back in the mists of time in order to use
their name on the B&D RAS line. Over time, that line, like almostall
others, disappeared, and about 15-16 years ago, some marketing guy had
two ideas: change B&D Professional tools to DeWalt and make those
tools bumblebee yaller and black.

It worked. How long it will continue to work with the tools made in
China, who knows. Eventually, there's going to be a leveling off in
prices as people in the Pacific Rim look for their places in the
middle class.

Talk about worldwide disruption! The economics may be fine; the
resources aren't there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

My point. B & D acquired Dewalt, which already had the line and
reputation, and they maintained the branding, I believe. What came
later had nothing to do with the processes and philosophical thinking
that was Dewalt. And it's not completely gone (Unless the Original
Saw Co. has ceased to do business).

It worked. How long it will continue to work with the tools made in
China, who knows. Eventually, there's going to be a leveling off in
prices as people in the Pacific Rim look for their places in the
middle class.

Talk about worldwide disruption! The economics may be fine; the
resources aren't there.

I know the numbers, pre and post, on B & D and the Delta Industrial
line. Dismal strategic and economic failure. Not their (B &
D's)fault, Pentair had already taken it too far down that road to get
it back. Pentair, those crafty devils, sold it to B & D at only about
a 40% discount to one times sales and it was still a bad deal.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In Sam's today to buy a brisket, and whipping by the home stuff I saw
a "Channellock" 24V drill. It is a 24V drill with two batteries, 22
settings on the clutch, variable speed trigger, 1/2" chuck, a one hour
charger and a carry case for $49.

It's really Channellock, too. Not Channel Locker, or some baloney
like that.

http://tinyurl.com/4y7f9s

I checked on the 'net, and no, Channellock hasn't gone out of
business, They simply whored out their name (OK, licensed it) to a
Chinese company to make them. Join the crowd on that one.

Anyone got any dope on these? It looks like it could be a good
jobsite/truck drill. A couple of good reviews on Amazon is all I
could find. My experience is that if it seems to good to be true, it
usually is...

Robert

While at Sam's today I took a look at it. It is Huge and weighs a lot.
Probability great to get you out of a bind but I would not want to use it
regularly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 1:05 pm, "Leon" wrote:

While at Sam's today I took a look at it. It is Huge and weighs a lot.
Probability great to get you out of a bind but I would not want to use it
regularly.

That would be my interest. Fer the Indians. When I leave to go to
another job, that would be the one I would want to leave in their
hands, not a $250 DeWalt.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 2:55 am, "
wrote:
In Sam's today to buy a brisket, and whipping by the home stuff I saw

How did you prepare the brisket?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
On Apr 12, 2:55 am, "
wrote:
In Sam's today to buy a brisket, and whipping by the home stuff I saw

How did you prepare the brisket?

Don't know about Robert's recipe but I use Claude's (
http://tinyurl.com/55dz4j ) marinade and Knorr French onion soup mix.
Place enough heavy duty foil in a 9 x 11 pan to completely cover and "seal"
the brisket. Add your brisket (I shave off most of the fat but you'll get
a little better flavor by placing the "fat" side up) Dissolve the Knorr's
in 3/4 to 1 cup of water and add 3 - 4 tablespoons of marinade. Pour over
the brisket.
close the foil tightly (I did say "enough foil" didn't I?) with a couple
folds at the top. Oven at 375 for 3 - 4 hours.
This is for a brisket about 3 - 4 pounds. If you covered the brisket
adequately, the pan will not even get dirty. G
Slice the brisket *across* the grain. pretty good stuff.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Apr 2008 21:50:23 GMT, Puckdropper wrote:

Hoosierpopi wrote in news:ff47ccb5-d636-48ba-
:

On Apr 12, 2:55 am, "
wrote:
In Sam's today to buy a brisket, and whipping by the home stuff I saw

How did you prepare the brisket?

I like your thinking... Spend the money on good food rather than bad
tools!

It may be Tuna and Ramen for a month while you're saving up for that
Worksharp 3000, though. :-)

Puckdropper

Kinda depends on how long the wife has been nagging about dull kitchen knives...

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 12:35 pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:

How did you prepare the brisket?

Actually....

the briskets looked like crap. They were 12 -14 pound packers, and
they were misshapen and not at all proportionate for a good smoke.
This was a disappointment for Sam's, as they just don't do me wrong on
the briskets. To add insult to injury, they were $1.39 a pound, and
they should be heading down a bit this time of year.

So I bought a beautiful 22# chuck roll, cut off some chili meat, a
couple of "almost rib eyes" from the rear, and smoked the rest over
hardwood charcoal and red oak. I leave them on for a long time and
prefer a smoky tasting meat, so I just lightly seasoned with a
homemade rub.

20 hours later - done!. They made up for the shortcomings on brisket
by selling me an excellent chuck roll. Excellent bark, extremely
juicy, with great texture and taste. You could cut it with a fork
with little effort needed, if any. Actually one of my better efforts
with chuck as on long smokes I mainly cook brisket with an occasional
pork shoulder.

A little homemade barbecue sauce on the side for the lady of the
house, and we were in beef heaven Sunday night!

Odd when putting the drill in question in perspective with the chuck
roll. The drill was $49; the chuck roll was $44. I don't know how
long the drill would last if purchased.

But the chuck roll is a very good bargain because both myself and the
mistress of the house can both eat about 10 - 12 meals EACH (so about
20+ individual meals) from that big hunk of cow.

I am not so sure I didn't come out better on the chuck roll rather
than the drill. The only problem is if one of my subs or employees
want to borrow a drill, I can't lend them the chuck roll for the
day....

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

A few tricks I have learned over the years when smoking brisket. I smoke
using a Texas Pitt's and Spit's pit. The meat directly over the heat and
water tank for 1 hour, then it goes into an aluminum foil pan and covered
with aluminum foil for the remainder of the cook. I cook at 225 degrees and
cook 45 minutes per pound. This used to take quite a long time before
discovering a trick. I can usually turn out a juicy 12-15 lb brisket that
melts in your mouth in about 4 or 5 hours. The trick is to take the brisket
and cut it in half or thirds before cooking. Cut it in half and it cuts
the cook time in half, cut in thirds and it cooks in one third the time. I
use Texas Pitt's and Spits BBQ rub and let it set over night before cooking.

http://www.pittsandspitts.com/index.asp They'll ship their spices to you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

http://www.pittsandspitts.com/index.asp They'll ship their spices to you.

Oh, and uh, they are the Festool of Smokers and Grills. I bought mine 15
years ago at about 1/3 today's going price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 11:26 am, "Leon" wrote:

http://www.pittsandspitts.com/index.asp They'll ship their spices to you.

Oh, and uh, they are the Festool of Smokers and Grills. I bought mine 15
years ago at about 1/3 today's going price.

LMAO!!

They really could be the Festool of the pits! I always liked the fact
that they were able to combine stainless with thick plate to stand up
to the weather. Good looking pieces of equipment, too. FWIW, I have
heard back and forth on the quality of the P&S pits here over the last
few years since they were purchased. Before I never heard anything
but good.

For all kinds of reasons, I don't get to Houston nearly like I used
to. On my list of things to do when I get that chance it to go see
the Klose pit manufacturing. Their pits aren't cheap, but they are
made right there in sunny Houson with no foreign parts except the
thermometers.

They last so long and are used so much they offer a rehab service if
your pit needs a tune up after many years of hard use!

Hope you guys are getting the weather we are in SA. Gorgeous, just
gorgeous.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Apr 14, 11:26 am, "Leon" wrote:

[...]

I'll have to check'em out, I don't recall having ever heard of them.

They last so long and are used so much they offer a rehab service if
your pit needs a tune up after many years of hard use!

3 years ago I sent mine in for a tune up and had it repainted. A heat
delector weld broke in the fire box. I need to replace the expanded metal
charcoal grate but will make my own. ;~)

Hope you guys are getting the weather we are in SA. Gorgeous, just
gorgeous.

Its bordering on cold but we have clear sky's. If only the wind would die
down.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Its bordering on cold but we have clear sky's. If only the wind would die
down.

Yeah, in mid April, in Texas already... surely due to big Al and Ted T
slashing their combined personal carbon footprint, eh?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Leon" wrote

Its bordering on cold but we have clear sky's. If only the wind would die
down.

Yeah, in mid April, in Texas already... surely due to big Al and Ted T
slashing their combined personal carbon footprint, eh?

Hey - you too can do your part:

http://www.freecarbonoffsets.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
"Leon" wrote

Its bordering on cold but we have clear sky's. If only the wind would
die
down.

Yeah, in mid April, in Texas already... surely due to big Al and Ted T
slashing their combined personal carbon footprint, eh?

Hey - you too can do your part:

http://www.freecarbonoffsets.com/

THANKS!!!! Doug, I just printed mine out.... What a bargain.. My
certificate says that I have one billion quadrillion carbon credits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote

Its bordering on cold but we have clear sky's. If only the wind would
die
down.

Yeah, in mid April, in Texas already... surely due to big Al and Ted T
slashing their combined personal carbon footprint, eh?

Personally I like all the carbon blocking the sunlight, less intense
hurricanes. ;~)
I noticed that we are going to have a lot of clouds this hurricane season,
there are something like 17 or 18 predicted storms.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
"Leon" wrote

Its bordering on cold but we have clear sky's. If only the wind would
die
down.

Yeah, in mid April, in Texas already... surely due to big Al and Ted T
slashing their combined personal carbon footprint, eh?

Hey - you too can do your part:

http://www.freecarbonoffsets.com/

THANKS!!!! Doug, I just printed mine out.... What a bargain.. My
certificate says that I have one billion quadrillion carbon credits.

Isn't that the same as a "Brazilian"?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

THANKS!!!! Doug, I just printed mine out.... What a bargain.. My
certificate says that I have one billion quadrillion carbon credits.

Yabbut, how many "Festool" credits is that equal to?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
"Leon" wrote

THANKS!!!! Doug, I just printed mine out.... What a bargain.. My
certificate says that I have one billion quadrillion carbon credits.

Yabbut, how many "Festool" credits is that equal to?

Sadly, about 50.

Have you circled, folded pages, or checked off on you wishes, out of the
Festool Porn Catalog yet? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
"Leon" wrote

Its bordering on cold but we have clear sky's. If only the wind would
die
down.
Yeah, in mid April, in Texas already... surely due to big Al and Ted T
slashing their combined personal carbon footprint, eh?

Hey - you too can do your part:

http://www.freecarbonoffsets.com/

THANKS!!!! Doug, I just printed mine out.... What a bargain.. My
certificate says that I have one billion quadrillion carbon credits.

Damn! You have to dispense those conservatively - you're liable to
bring on an ice age with that amount!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

THANKS!!!! Doug, I just printed mine out.... What a bargain.. My
certificate says that I have one billion quadrillion carbon credits.

Yabbut, how many "Festool" credits is that equal to?

Sadly, about 50.

Have you circled, folded pages, or checked off on you wishes, out of the
Festool Porn Catalog yet? ;~)

You mean the pages that weren't previously stuck together?

I moved it, in a plain brown wrapper, from the dining room table where you
left it, to the throne room where I can get a better look, in the proper
light of course.

(Actually, I just got the tuition statement for summer school this summer,
so I may have to return it to you at parcel post rates)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Have you circled, folded pages, or checked off on you wishes, out of the
Festool Porn Catalog yet? ;~)

You mean the pages that weren't previously stuck together?

I moved it, in a plain brown wrapper, from the dining room table where you
left it, to the throne room where I can get a better look, in the proper
light of course.

(Actually, I just got the tuition statement for summer school this summer,
so I may have to return it to you at parcel post rates)

Bryan informed me that I get to pay for his credits that he gets for working
as an intern this summer. Maybe him being a credited life guard would cost
me less. ;~)