Roger Jensen

Default Chinese Lacquer Finish

Does anyone have or know where to find information on re-creating an
oriental lacquer finishes for wood work?

Thanks,

Roger

---

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:51:20 GMT, "Roger Jensen"
wrote:

Does anyone have or know where to find information on re-creating an
oriental lacquer finishes for wood work?

Ship it to Vietnam, have it refinished there, ship it back. It works
out cheaper.

True oriental lacquer is based on urushiol. You can't get the
materials in the West, you can't store them for long, you can't get it
to cure (without building a drying room) and no-one hereabouts is
familiar with working it. So it's a bit of a non-starter to do it
locally ! (and believe me, I've tried)

If you're really interested, an excellent (if expensive) read on the
subject is Marianne Webb's book, "Conservation and Technology of
Lacquer "
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750644125/codesmiths-20

(It's cheaper to buy it from the Amazon UK site at present)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750644125/codesmiths

Roger Jensen

Andy,

Thanks for your reply. I was expecting something of that nature. How about a
faux finish? Anyone have insight on them?

Roger

wrote:

[...]

BUB 209

I got a very nice Oriental low table at a
flea market. I know next to nothing a
about this kind of furniture but its ornate
and handmade with folding legs. I
assumed it had a laquer finish but it
turned out to be plain old enamel. If
you'd like to see it :
http://www.edswoods.com/woodpile.htm
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 01:14:21 GMT, "Roger Jensen"
wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I was expecting something of that nature. How about a
faux finish? Anyone have insight on them?

I use shellac for this, but I'm still very much a beginner when it
comes to colouring it.

I did these over the Summer.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/knives/#aikuchi

The red-brown ones are locally mined red ochre (from Clearwell Caves)
and worked beautifully. I've also used vermillion (mercury sulphide)
as a pigment that's closer to the traditional lacquer colour.

The black ones OTOH were Liberon's commercial black shellac and
completely ruined my Summer ! I don't know if it was the heat this
year, or if the shellac was old - but I couldn't get a decent finish
on the damned things. And of course, I had a customer who was waiting
for one... Took me about three months to get a finish I was happy
with (mainly waiting for it to get cooler).

TransTint dyes can be used in shellac. www.homesteadfinishing.com