Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Cad software

This has been discussed and cussed before.

Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at.
I've used AutoCad years ago.

CorelDraw Graphics 3X? TurboCad 14? What do you guys/gals use?

For general shop/furniture and home use. Signs. Maybe floor plans and
landscape. Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote

For general shop/furniture and home use. Signs. Maybe floor plans and
landscape. Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

I'm partial to AutoSketch only because it took the place of/is the same
program as QuickCAD, once the subject of a magazine article about its
suitability to woodworking, although I used it long before that.

Once a $50 program, it now runs about $120, IIRC.

The program is about as intuitive as they get, and has a plus in that it
will open and let you manipulate AutoCAD files.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=2753027

Gig'em ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 7:06*am, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:
*This has been discussed and cussed before.

*Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at.
I've used AutoCad years ago.

*CorelDraw Graphics 3X? * TurboCad 14? * What do you guys/gals use?

*For general shop/furniture and home use. *Signs. *Maybe floor plans and
landscape. *Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

*Thanks.

I use thermwoods e-cabinets software. I like it pretty much. there are
things that you have to play around with, but its decent software and
the price is right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
This has been discussed and cussed before.

Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at.
I've used AutoCad years ago.

CorelDraw Graphics 3X? TurboCad 14? What do you guys/gals use?

For general shop/furniture and home use. Signs. Maybe floor plans and
landscape. Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

If you grab an older copy of AutoCAD, you can download the universal
translator from the folks at SolidWorks. It allows you to open newer
versions of ACAD drawings in older versions of the software. DWG Gateway I
think... http://www.dwggateway.com/

They put it out to try and undermine AutoCAD's dominance of the market and
thus build business for SolidWorks.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in
:

This has been discussed and cussed before.

Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator
error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking
at. I've used AutoCad years ago.

CorelDraw Graphics 3X? TurboCad 14? What do you guys/gals use?

For general shop/furniture and home use. Signs. Maybe floor plans
and
landscape. Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

Thanks.

Software sampling is a process of doing searches for the software you
want, downloading a bunch of programs that look like they'll work,
installing them and uninstalling the ones that don't work. Some
programs are just plain junk and are being installed 5 minutes later.

Watch out for illegitimate download sites. Your best option is the
producer's website, as they have a stake in keeping the download clean.
The next best option is somewhere like download.com or tucows.com.

I usually use CadStd. If you're familiar with mechanical drafting,
you'll quickly adjust to CadStd. (Although it does have a few UI
quirks. You get used to them, and find they're useful design options.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
This has been discussed and cussed before.

Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at.
I've used AutoCad years ago.

CorelDraw Graphics 3X? TurboCad 14? What do you guys/gals use?

For general shop/furniture and home use. Signs. Maybe floor plans and
landscape. Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

Thanks.

I use AutoCAD LT. It should be easy for you to learn if you have used it
before. A good generic clone of AutoCAD is IntelliCAD and it is much
cheaper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 7:06*am, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:
*This has been discussed and cussed before.

*Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at.
I've used AutoCad years ago.

*CorelDraw Graphics 3X? * TurboCad 14? * What do you guys/gals use?

*For general shop/furniture and home use. *Signs. *Maybe floor plans and
landscape. *Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

Vectorworks.
http://www.nemetschek.net/

You buy the features you need. Pricey but humongously powerful. (eat
THAT, spellchecker!!!)
Available for Mac and PC, and interestingly enough, the architects
building Bill Gates' house, use it.....on a Mac...*evil snicker*

I have no idea what it costs these days, as I have crawled up the
upgrade path since it was called Diehl's Graphsoft MiniCAD. I have
tried and tried to do better, to no avail. Even a competitive deal
from Ashlar came up short in the real world. Nice... but ultimately no
cigar.
When I did a few college courses to get a shingle to hang (bragging
rights) in AutoCAD, I did my homework on a Mac in (what is now called
Vectorworks) MiniCAD and then exported it to AutoCAD. I aced one
course in 3D ( 4.0 GPA).
As my business is based on selling a picture, 3D modelling is a must
and Vectorworks delivers much more, for much less, than AutoCAD.
AutoCAD is the most overrated piece of software on the planet.
WhoTF needs 6 ways to draw a line?
Don't get me wrong. AutoCAD is a deFacto industry standard, but so was
VHS, 'nuff said?
When it comes to 3D modelling, AutoCAD is a slug. Period. Anyone
defending it has 'done his/her time' to get it to work, so they will
never let go, but....

You don't need a Strad' to fiddle, but Vectorworks is brilliant. Plain
and simple.

my $ 0.024.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 6:06*am, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:
*This has been discussed and cussed before.

*Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at.
I've used AutoCad years ago.

*CorelDraw Graphics 3X? * TurboCad 14? * What do you guys/gals use?

*For general shop/furniture and home use. *Signs. *Maybe floor plans and
landscape. *Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

*Thanks.

I have used designcad which is not to hard to learn.
I also use corel draw for most of my projects, only because its what I
taught to use.
Most people swear by Autocad, My brother loves it. But it is to
expensive for my blood.
I would check out designcad and corel darw.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use Turbocad mainly because I have had it since the olde DOS days. It is
probably the most expensive software I have purchased, even thouth it only
cost about $39 18 years ago...Figure upgrades from version 1 or 2 all the
way up to version 15g. It still works great for 2d and 3d drawings and is
somewhate better than the free Sketchup in its rendering.

That being said, if i had to start over again right now, I probably would go
with Sketchup.

Skip
www.ShopFileR.con

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
This has been discussed and cussed before.

Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at.
I've used AutoCad years ago.

CorelDraw Graphics 3X? TurboCad 14? What do you guys/gals use?

For general shop/furniture and home use. Signs. Maybe floor plans and
landscape. Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 10:21 am, "Skip Williams" wrote:
I use Turbocad mainly because I have had it since the olde DOS days. It is
probably the most expensive software I have purchased, even thouth it only
cost about $39 18 years ago...Figure upgrades from version 1 or 2 all the
way up to version 15g. It still works great for 2d and 3d drawings and is
somewhate better than the free Sketchup in its rendering.

That being said, if i had to start over again right now, I probably would go
with Sketchup.

Skipwww.ShopFileR.con

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

I was a 15 year user of TurboCAD, but since discovering SketchUp in
Fine Woodworking a few months back I abandoned TC and never looked
back. After about 6 weeks of a relearning curve I find I can draw
quicker and with fewer mistakes in SketchUp.

Joe....
www.srww.com

This has been discussed and cussed before.

Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???)
Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at.
I've used AutoCad years ago.

CorelDraw Graphics 3X? TurboCad 14? What do you guys/gals use?

For general shop/furniture and home use. Signs. Maybe floor plans and
landscape. Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chiefwoodworker" wrote

I was a 15 year user of TurboCAD, but since discovering SketchUp in
Fine Woodworking a few months back I abandoned TC and never looked
back. After about 6 weeks of a relearning curve I find I can draw
quicker and with fewer mistakes in SketchUp.

Although I haven't had time to really get into the meat of it, it is
apparent there is much to learn at your "blog". Keep up the good work!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman,

Thanks for the feedback. I am having fun with it.

I visited your website. You shop looks great and I got an idea for a
new fixture by looking through yours. I kitchen cabinets are gorgeous.
SO what are you going to do now that you are getting on with life?

Joe....
www.srww.com

On Apr 10, 8:10 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Chiefwoodworker" wrote

I was a 15 year user of TurboCAD, but since discovering SketchUp in
Fine Woodworking a few months back I abandoned TC and never looked
back. After about 6 weeks of a relearning curve I find I can draw
quicker and with fewer mistakes in SketchUp.

Although I haven't had time to really get into the meat of it, it is
apparent there is much to learn at your "blog". Keep up the good work!

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chiefwoodworker" wrote

SO what are you going to do now that you are getting on with life?

LOL ... Let more women win the chase?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well at 63 they can chase me down easily, but I don't see too many
behind me. Hmmmm! Wonder why? But I can certainly appreciate the game
as a spectator. ;)

Joe...
www.srww.com

"Chiefwoodworker" wrote