Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What finish for my homemade mallet?

Howdy all,

I just finished my first attempt at a wooden mallet (round head) to
occasionally use around my shop. Its nothing fancy, mainly for utility - I'm
thinking I'll use it mostly for assembly and some light work with my wooden
handled bench chisels when needed.

I suppose I could just leave it unfinished, but I remember reading somewhere
about a mallet maker who dipped their mallets for upwards of a month in
Linseed oil to penetrate the wood and ad some heft. I'm contemplating doing
this, but I'm looking for a few other opinions and ones which wont transfer
the finish to the wood I'm tapping.

I'm not overly interested in how it ultimately looks, rather I'd like
something that might increase the mallets resistance to drying out over time
and help it hold up to use.

I could just rub the linseed oil in as that's what I'm use to on the handles
of my other tools, but I'm wondering if soaking it for an extended period of
time would penetrate a bit deeper.

Also, can anyone suggest other options to Linseed oil that would give a
"harder" finish to the wood? Would tung oil or polyurethane better increase
its resilience to impacts? Can you recommend a brand name I can ask for?

-thanks in advance

Posted to rec.woodworking

NOSPAM wrote:
[...]

See replies on March 30.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

It is not enough to succeed. Others
must fail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can't use poly. It will crack off.

Oil based is your best bet. Either soak it or just rub it on.
My opinion is to just rub it on and let it dry. Soaking it, it will
never dry, like some of my wood clamps.They don't stick to anything but
they always leave oil behind.

NOSPAM wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 19:36:49 -0400, "NOSPAM" wrote:

[...]

The new wood turning show used mineral oil. Wipe it on and reapply
when needed.

Otoe
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7 Apr, 00:36, "NOSPAM" wrote:

Also, can anyone suggest other options to Linseed oil that would give a
"harder" finish to the wood?

Danish oil. That's largely oil, with a short amount of varnish added.
Good finish for tools.

What type of finish should I put on my handmade mallet to increase its resilience? NOSPAM Woodworking 3 March 31st 08 12:35 AM
Wax covered Mallet Jay Pique Woodworking 0 August 12th 06 12:46 PM
CARVERS MALLET J T Woodworking 0 December 25th 04 01:16 AM
Homemade finish Bruce Litherland Woodturning 6 October 20th 04 07:39 AM