Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WingNUTS!

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about
twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer on
the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Mar 2008 03:21:30 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about
twice the metal in a wing nut.

Only a $1? How bout these:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6540

mcmaster.com has decent pricing on hardware if you're buying buy the
box. Box of 100 zinc plated 1/4-20 is $8.53

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much?

Volume.

By them by the full box of 100 pcs and watch the price drop.

My guess is 1/4-20NC willl be your most popular size.

Check out Jamestown Distributors for a box of S/S.

Probably last a lifetime.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote in
:

*snip*

mcmaster.com has decent pricing on hardware if you're buying buy the
box. Box of 100 zinc plated 1/4-20 is $8.53

-Leuf

I don't mind buying by the box if I'm buying common sizes. mcmaster.com
shows a 175 piece assortment for $51.11, that's around $.30 a piece.
Much better than the sellers around here. I'll have to pick up a box,
thanks.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts
cost almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so
special that they'd cost so much?

Volume.

Perhaps, but as anyone who's paid attention in an Economics class should
be able to tell you: at higher prices, people will purchase less. So,
to increase volume, lower price. (Hm... V(up) P(down)...kinda starts to
sound like natural gas laws.)

By them by the full box of 100 pcs and watch the price drop.

My guess is 1/4-20NC willl be your most popular size.

Check out Jamestown Distributors for a box of S/S.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Probably last a lifetime.

Maybe, but if I can get them cheap enough I'll start replacing things
(such as the circular saw adjuster) with wing nuts.

Lew

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perhaps, but as anyone who's paid attention in an Economics class should
be able to tell you: at higher prices, people will purchase less. So,
to increase volume, lower price. (Hm... V(up) P(down)...kinda starts to
sound like natural gas laws.)

When you are buying fasteners by the piece, you are basically paying renewal
parts pricing.

It may take a couple of years to sell a 100 pieces when you sell them one at
a time.

The price reflects the cost of shelf space as well as the cost of money for
slow moving items.

Maybe, but if I can get them cheap enough I'll start replacing things
(such as the circular saw adjuster) with wing nuts.

SFWIW, I've had a box of 1/4-20 wing nuts for probably 20 years. Still
probably have half them left, but the price was right at the time I bought
them.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about
twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer on
the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

Puckdropper

About once a year or 18 mo. I send an order to MSC, screws, nuts, bolts, all
thread, Al and UHMW, polycarbonate sheet. Just about anything I use, or may
use. It's on hand and a great deal cheaper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts
cost almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut
so special that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and
there's only about twice the metal in a wing nut.

Only a $1? How bout these:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6540

mcmaster.com has decent pricing on hardware if you're buying buy the
box. Box of 100 zinc plated 1/4-20 is $8.53

Fastenal has 'em for 8 cents a piece stamped, or .19 a piece forged.

They list a box of 50 forged 1/4-20 for 9.64 as an "in store item".
If there's a Lowes near you odds are that there's a Fastenal within a
reasonable drive.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about
twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer on
the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

Puckdropper

I wonder why I pay 25 cents for a washer when I can drill a hole in a
penny, dime or nickel. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about
twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer on
the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

Puckdropper

Good Grief! I am so glad that I have suppliers other than the
big box stores. I get wing nuts for about 17 cents each. I get a
10% discount without even asking for it and they have way more
selection than either of the Borgs.

http://www.fastenergroupsouth.com/Americanbolt04.htm

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Puckdropper wrote:
I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about
twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer on
the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

*Weld* one, maybe... solder isn't going to hold up to much torque.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Mar, 03:21, Puckdropper wrote:

I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much?

Machining wingnuts really is a _lot_ more difficult. Feeding the
things automatically is a total PITA

....but mostly it's volume.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote in
:

wrote:

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts
cost almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so
special that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and
there's only about twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer
on the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

Puckdropper

I wonder why I pay 25 cents for a washer when I can drill a hole in a
penny, dime or nickel. LOL

Ever tried it? It's not always easy to drill a hole in a small flat
round disc. (If you're doing lots of electrical with metal boxes, you'll
have plenty of punch outs to play with...)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in news:fs5bfc021a8
@news3.newsguy.com:

Fastenal has 'em for 8 cents a piece stamped, or .19 a piece forged.

They list a box of 50 forged 1/4-20 for 9.64 as an "in store item".
If there's a Lowes near you odds are that there's a Fastenal within a
reasonable drive.

I'll give Fastenal a look next time I need a wing nut.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.reidsupply.com/index.aspx

Lowes is great for weekend searching but their hardware is
neither cheap nor good.

I'm there about every damn weekend.

Check out Reid's for all that funky stuff.

Puckdropper wrote:

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about
twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer on
the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Puckdropper wrote:
Phisherman wrote in
:

On 23 Mar 2008 03:21:30 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

...snipped...

I wonder why I pay 25 cents for a washer when I can drill a hole in a
penny, dime or nickel. LOL

Ever tried it? It's not always easy to drill a hole in a small flat
round disc. (If you're doing lots of electrical with metal boxes, you'll
have plenty of punch outs to play with...)

That's when you need one of these:

http://vansantent.com/Hand_punch_7A.htm

BTW, Roper Whitney group includes Pexto, formerly Peck, Stowe, & Wilcox,
used to make brace & bits and other woodworking tools!

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's likely due to material -- Ottawa Fastners sells two different
kind of wingnuts (both 8-32) -- one that sells for $0.82 a piece, and
one that sells for $0.14 a piece -- one is solid stainless steel and
the other is the coated stuff. Likely what you're looking at is the
stainless steel kind, which is going to make it a lot more expensive.
Take a look around Lowes -- they might have the cheap kind too.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project
yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost
almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special
that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about
twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer on
the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

Puckdropper

Just grab a few from rec.woodworking... Lots of left wing nuts AND right
wing nuts on here!