Posted to rec.woodworking

Default shop lighting questions

I've read several posts regarding use of fluorescent fixtures for shop
lighting, have a few additional questions - my basement shop is 7'6"
high, open joists (and will stay open):

1. I like the idea of installing outlets between joists and plugging
in pre-wired floro fixtures. Are there any code concerns around this?

2. If I install perpendicular to joists, then I lose some height;
plus have also heard fire concerns about direct-mounting fixtures to
joists. Any comments here?

3. Can I install them parallel to the joists, and actually recess
them a bit, so the main housing is above the joists, but the bottom
would be more or less flush with the bottom of the joists? I know if
I go too high I will be losing light; but is this generally an OK
approach? (any code concerns here?)

Thanks,
Chuck
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:43:39 -0700 (PDT), Chuck wrote:

3. Can I install them parallel to the joists, and actually recess
them a bit, so the main housing is above the joists, but the bottom
would be more or less flush with the bottom of the joists? I know if
I go too high I will be losing light; but is this generally an OK
approach? (any code concerns here?)

I did just that in my shop in the States, and it passed the home inspection when
the house was sold..

In my case, the ceiling was actually the bottom of a loft floor, with "real"
2x4's for joists..
Since my fixtures were about 3" thick, I mounted them to 3/4" furring strips
that I ran between the joists... That gave me enough light distribution but
still left the tubes slightly higher than the bottom of the 2x4's, so the chance
of hitting a tube with a board or something is less..

I still managed to hit them a few times and decided that it was time to spend a
dollar a tube for those clear plastic sleeves..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chuck" wrote in message

1. I like the idea of installing outlets between joists and plugging
in pre-wired floro fixtures. Are there any code concerns around this?

The new industrial code required that ther be a means of disconnecting the
fixture from the power (they are often wired in a series) if the ballast
needs replacing. Your method qualifies.

3. Can I install them parallel to the joists, and actually recess
them a bit, so the main housing is above the joists, but the bottom
would be more or less flush with the bottom of the joists? I know if
I go too high I will be losing light; but is this generally an OK
approach? (any code concerns here?)

Can't speak for the code, but it makes sense to do it that way.

shop lighting? John Starr Woodworking 34 August 24th 07 12:19 AM
shop lighting todd Woodworking 8 March 25th 07 06:25 AM
Shop lighting Nick Degidio Woodworking 17 January 25th 05 11:43 AM
Shop lighting James B. Millard Metalworking 26 April 10th 04 08:49 AM
Lighting my new shop Richard Woodworking 19 March 15th 04 07:14 PM