Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Revere Copper on China and a VAT

Let me know what you think of this:
http://www.reverecopper.com/pdf/MyCompanyCountry.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 11:39 pm, RicodJour wrote:
Let me know what you think of this:http://www.reverecopper.com/pdf/MyCompanyCountry.pdf

It was interesting. I have to say that I almost plonked the topic
because of the title, then I saw your name attached to it, so I went
ahead and read it.

Reading that has re-motivated me to try and buy Made in USA products.
My next set of pots and pans will probably be from them. They have a
very solid reputation, and from my understanding they cook as well as
anything from China, and the price seems reasonably competitive.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 7:48 am, N Hurst wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:39 pm, RicodJour wrote:

Let me know what you think of this:http://www.reverecopper.com/pdf/MyCompanyCountry.pdf

It was interesting. I have to say that I almost plonked the topic
because of the title, then I saw your name attached to it, so I went
ahead and read it.

Thanks. Most of the time just the opposite happens!

Reading that has re-motivated me to try and buy Made in USA products.
My next set of pots and pans will probably be from them. They have a
very solid reputation, and from my understanding they cook as well as
anything from China, and the price seems reasonably competitive.

I also think it's one of the few entities in the country that can
speak its mind and not have an 'unpatriotic' label thrown at them if
the view doesn't agree with corporate America and the current
administration.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"RicodJour" wrote in message
Let me know what you think of this:
http://www.reverecopper.com/pdf/MyCompanyCountry.pdf

Forwarded to everyone I know.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
Let me know what you think of this:
http://www.reverecopper.com/pdf/MyCompanyCountry.pdf

Interesting but I really really do not like the VAT tax....it skews the
market place and makes everything you buy considerably too expensive. I do
think in principle the article understates the competitive advantage of the
respective labor rates between countries and overstates the impact of a VAT
on imports/exports. Incidentally economically a VAT or a "hidden sales tax"
discourages consumption i.e. citizens in WA state with a 8% sales tax buy
fewer new cars and keep cars longer which may or may not be a good thing but
when tax policy controls the market choices, it is not a good
thing...although the repair & tow shops like it.

Much of the articles actual motive seems to be a simple desire for a
national medical plan and how to pay for it (reasonable enough).....But the
problem with any proposal that merely desires a solid revenue stream for
medical costs ignores the rampant inflation in medical costs such a stream
will cause, in other words the 10% annual medical inflation we've had for
most of the past two or three decades (fueled largely by third party payees
including the Gov. and employers) will soon be the "good old days". Any and
all solutions to be effective either have to ration care (not my choice) or
increase supply....we need to flood the country with doctors, nurses and
medical facilities. At the moment there is a fairly effective effort
limiting entry into the field. Drug companies need some oversight as well
since they justifiably cry over high drug development costs but apparently
spend far more on advertising. There are many basic flaws in our current
medical structure when almost any official medical device makes Festool look
cheap and how does any ER visit result in prices starting at $1000? Step by
step it needs serious reform, a blank check just makes the hole deeper. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote

Step by
step it needs serious reform, a blank check just makes the hole deeper.

Rod

To "reform" you must first insure that you have "legislators" who are forced
to live like those whom they govern.

This will happen only through 1: revolution, which is highly unlikely in a
society purposely dumbed down to accept the status quo; or 2: A visit to the
very brink of moral and economic collapse.

.... guess what!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08